It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Offensive Passing Scheme?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:34 am 

Has Ben "lost it" ? What's up with the scheme of the passing game? I mean it's 90% dink and dunk, Joe Walton on steroids, screen, bubble screen, shuttle pass, 2 yard slant, 4 yard cross on 3rd and 8? then other than that, maybe a long bomb or 2 down the sideline, rarely say, passes across the middle in the 10-20 yard range. Always passes where the ball is in the air a short distance and you depend on the receiver YAC to pick up yards. And mix in the runs and you're looking at the need to run 15 plays to move 80 yards, leaving little room for error. Then in the red zone, are you telling me you can't get a TE open, and you're throwing low % corner routes to AB? Do they not trust Ben's arm anymore? And what's up with the bug TE find, McDonald? James is way better from what we've seen. This is not the fantastic 30ppg offense they where telling us about.

Post subject: Re: Offensive Passing Scheme?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:42 am 
Todd Haley. End of story.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:07 am 

Nick79 wrote:
Has Ben "lost it" ? What's up with the scheme of the passing game? I mean it's 90% dink and dunk, Joe Walton on steroids, screen, bubble screen, shuttle pass, 2 yard slant, 4 yard cross on 3rd and 8? then other than that, maybe a long bomb or 2 down the sideline, rarely say, passes across the middle in the 10-20 yard range. Always passes where the ball is in the air a short distance and you depend on the receiver YAC to pick up yards. And mix in the runs and you're looking at the need to run 15 plays to move 80 yards, leaving little room for error. Then in the red zone, are you telling me you can't get a TE open, and you're throwing low % corner routes to AB? Do they not trust Ben's arm anymore? And what's up with the bug TE find, McDonald? James is way better from what we've seen. This is not the fantastic 30ppg offense they where telling us about.

I'm far, FAR from a Haley supporter, but the players aren't doing any favors, either. They showed a stat during the Jags game that Ben was something like 2 for 14 on long passes this season (forget their criteria for a long pass, guessing 20+ yards). That seems to be a combination of guys not being open when Ben throws them (AB usually double/triple teamed, which is probably more on Ben to just not that throw it in those cases and Martavis "The Next Randy Moss" Bryant being completely invisible and not being open and/or not making the catch, and then Ben just flat out missing guys, too).

I'm with you on throwing more over the intermediate middle, though. That's usually Ben's sweet spot and I think it hampers him that we're not targeting it a lot. Not sure what the deal is, there. I haven't watched the All-22 or anything, so I don't know if those plays are getting called and guys aren't getting open, if they're not getting called at all, or if maybe Ben is audibling out of them. No idea. But I have noticed that we heavily favor the outside throws, which is really hampering us right now.

If I could add one thing into this offense right now it'd be a legit tight end. Maybe Ben just doesn't trust any of our TEs ot make the tight catches over the middle that Heath made reliably. I dunno. I really don't, and it annoys the hell out of me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:21 am 

I don’t believe Ben has lost it. We just need to be more agressive on offense.

Quit throwing passes at the chain gang and start throwing toward the end zone.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:23 am 

Yes, it is offensive - hot garbage in the middle of a humid summer kind of way. I think the protection has been decent, not stellar. Is Ben holding the ball too long like he used to, or are the WR's not getting separation? Are the routes taking too long to develop? Maybe someone will All-22 can answer those questions.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:27 am 

I'd love someone to do an All-22 analysis and see whether our guys truly aren't getting open.

I can't believe we are the only team in the NFL that have players that never get open, scheme or no scheme.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:42 am 
Jeemie wrote:
I'd love someone to do an All-22 analysis and see whether our guys truly aren't getting open.

I can't believe we are the only team in the NFL that have players that never get open, scheme or no scheme.

Its pretty easy to see even with just broadcast tv. Its been that way for a while

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:52 am 

It's the patented "U" pass game developed by Haley and signed off on by Tomlin. Revolutionary.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:56 am 
R S wrote:
It's the patented "U" pass game developed by Haley and signed off on by Tomlin. Revolutionary.

I dont know if its wholly signed off on by Tomlin or not. I dont think his heart is in it. He puts up with it tho.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:59 am 

Some analyst I ran across yesterday made the point that Haley is reacting to Ben being limited in what we feels he can do.

Sporting news also called out steelers OLand MB specifically. Really everyone outside of AB and decastro has been below expectation. I guess juju is on the rise.

It’s really hard to find anything to like about this offense now from general game plan to play calls to execution across the board by 9 players. Tomlin doesn’t have them playing varsity ball