It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Offensive Passing Scheme?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:14 am 

SteelerChef wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
I'd love someone to do an All-22 analysis and see whether our guys truly aren't getting open.

I can't believe we are the only team in the NFL that have players that never get open, scheme or no scheme.

Its pretty easy to see even with just broadcast tv. Its been that way for a while

No- not really since most routes run off the TV screen.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:47 am 
Jeemie wrote:
SteelerChef wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
I'd love someone to do an All-22 analysis and see whether our guys truly aren't getting open.

I can't believe we are the only team in the NFL that have players that never get open, scheme or no scheme.

Its pretty easy to see even with just broadcast tv. Its been that way for a while

No- not really since most routes run off the TV screen.

How bout for once you cut with the simpleton bs ok ?

Youve never seen a pass to reciever ?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:51 am 

SteelerChef wrote:
How bout for once you cut with the simpleton bs ok ?

Youve never seen a pass to reciever ?

I see lots of passes to receivers.

What I don't see on regular TV are the other receivers to whom the ball is not thrown.

I don't see whether there are receivers open that Ben misses because of the way he does his progressions or whatever.

There are hints that he misses open receivers sometimes to throw to his favorite targets...who happen to be covered.

I do not believe that on every single pass play, every receiver is tightly covered.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:00 am 

The thing that I don't like though, is that it seems like the really, really short passes aren't the check downs because the guys down field didn't get open, they are usually the primary play. Even on 3rd and long, on a 3rd and 10, they are just as likely to throw a bubble screen and pray that the runner gets YAC and picks up the 1st down, rather than run routes past the sticks, not always, but very often and it does work sometimes. But with a QB of the supposed caliber of Ben, it seems they are playing extremely safe, half the passing game are just these de facto run plays. people complain we don't run the ball enough, I'd argue we run too much sometimes, because these shuffle passes and bubble screens are just a different kind of hand off.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:32 am 

I don't feel like we run bunch formation any longer. Used to be relatively good at generating open looks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:55 am 

R S wrote:
It's the patented "U" pass game developed by Haley and signed off on by Tomlin. Revolutionary.

We did have three picks last week on intermediate throws between the numbers, but that is progress... because we haven't even been trying.

Two tipped balls and a play where the QB got rocked as he threw it. I would guess Haley's position is that the OL doesn't pass pro well enough to throw intermediate.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:56 am 

Zeke5123 wrote:
I don't feel like we run bunch formation any longer. Used to be relatively good at generating open looks.

Uncle Brucie's bread and butter.

It was particularly good because it forces either zone coverage or for one of the man to man guys to be wasted on being a force player-- his job is to disrupt the point of the bunch spear, then take man on the shortest route. If that short route receiver ends up being, say, the TE, then you've got the possibility of a one on one matchup in the offense's favor, since the D doesn't get to choose the matchups.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:05 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
R S wrote:
It's the patented "U" pass game developed by Haley and signed off on by Tomlin. Revolutionary.

We did have three picks last week on intermediate throws between the numbers, but that is progress... because we haven't even been trying.

Two tipped balls and a play where the QB got rocked as he threw it. I would guess Haley's position is that the OL doesn't pass pro well enough to throw intermediate.

I could be remembering wrong, but it seemed the intermediate passing started showing up in the 2nd half as they fell behind. Early in the game it feels like it's the patented "U".

PS: At no time did I think, "damn, Ben is not getting any time to throw the ball" As a whole, the pass pro was adequate.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:51 pm 

R S wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
R S wrote:

I could be remembering wrong, but it seemed the intermediate passing started showing up in the 2nd half as they fell behind. Early in the game it feels like it's the patented "U".

PS: At no time did I think, "damn, Ben is not getting any time to throw the ball" As a whole, the pass pro was adequate.

absolutely on the bolded. Pass pro had some big problems-- not just OL but RBs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:55 pm 

Ben’s first pick happened bang bang but just as the camera was following the pass you could see Conner whiffed on the blitz. Bad fucking play from the young guy and cost us points.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next