It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Jesse James calls out game planning aka coaching
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:01 am 

Not really that bad James speaking about the offense but man, how about doing your part Jesse?

He is on pace for what?, 57 receptions this year and he is averaging a whopping 8.4 yards a catch. He has no pass plays over 20+ yards and obviously no pass plays over 40+ yards.

Currently he has 18 catches which is good for 11th place among TEs but that yards per catch is just really bad. You want your starting, #1 TE to at least average 10-12 yards per catch. Heath Miller by comparison had a career 11.1 yard average per catch.

But Miller had something else too, he was able make first downs, convert first downs.

Right now Jesse James has a first down percentage of just 44. 44%. That is just pathetic. Last season it really wasn't much better, it was around 51%. Last season James averaged 8.9 yards a catch and had a whopping 2 pass plays over 20+ yards.

Heath Miller was usually around 60-70% for getting first downs on his catches. You look at his 2014 season, his next to last season before his wheels fell off, he averaged 11.5 yards a catch, had 8 pass plays over 20+ yards, had 1 pass play over 40+ yards and a first down percentage of 64.

If you go over to the Depot they are writing some interesting articles on Vance McDonald and how the offense seems to be more productive with him on the field, blocking. James can't even do that, McDonald is the best blocking TE on the roster, James is soft as shit.

He is at his best an average blocker, does not have any run after catch ability, ever watch him run? Jesse James runs on his tippie toes and is afraid of getting hit, he runs with these short choppy steps. I have so soured on him as a player. Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. Jesse Jane?

The sooner Vance McDonald is made the starter and brought into the passing game the better. I would rather see McDonald and Grimble out there in two TE sets and see what happens. What have we got to lose?

This is my Xmas wish: for McDonald to be made the starter, Grimble made the #2 TE, Jake McGee called up from the PS and for Jesse James to be cut and working at McDonalds.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:06 am 

Steel Ubaldo wrote:
Hinestuff wrote:
Is he really implying that they haven't been practicing hard or something? I don't get it.

What the hell is wrong with this team?

What the hell is wrong with Jesse James? A slow footed tight end that doesn’t do any one thing exceptionally well should probably keep his mouth shut, even if what he is saying is true.

I would expect this type of shit to come out at the end of the season from a guy as he is walking out the door. Not in the middle of the season from a guy who is starting on a first place team.

This team is full of some real characters. :roll:

Jesse James, by any account, is the worst offensive starter. This would be a good time to shut the pie hole.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:08 am 

Scunge wrote:
Not really that bad James speaking about the offense but man, how about doing your part Jesse?

He is on pace for what?, 57 receptions this year and he is averaging a whopping 8.4 yards a catch. He has no pass plays over 20+ yards and obviously no pass plays over 40+ yards.

Currently he has 18 catches which is good for 11th place among TEs but that yards per catch is just really bad. You want your starting, #1 TE to at least average 10-12 yards per catch. Heath Miller by comparison had a career 11.1 yard average per catch.

But Miller had something else too, he was able make first downs, convert first downs.

Right now Jesse James has a first down percentage of just 44. 44%. That is just pathetic. Last season it really wasn't much better, it was around 51%. Last season James averaged 8.9 yards a catch and had a whopping 2 pass plays over 20+ yards.

Heath Miller was usually around 60-70% for getting first downs on his catches. You look at his 2014 season, his next to last season before his wheels fell off, he averaged 11.5 yards a catch, had 8 pass plays over 20+ yards, had 1 pass play over 40+ yards and a first down percentage of 64.

If you go over to the Depot they are writing some interesting articles on Vance McDonald and how the offense seems to be more productive with him on the field, blocking. James can't even do that, McDonald is the best blocking TE on the roster, James is soft as shit.

He is at his best an average blocker, does not have any run after catch ability, ever watch him run? Jesse James runs on his tippie toes and is afraid of getting hit, he runs with these short choppy steps. I have so soured on him as a player. Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. Jesse Jane?

The sooner Vance McDonald is made the starter and brought into the passing game the better. I would rather see McDonald and Grimble out there in two TE sets and see what happens. What have we got to lose?

This is my Xmas wish: for McDonald to be made the starter, Grimble made the #2 TE, Jake McGee called up from the PS and for Jesse James to be cut and working at McDonalds.

6.04 per target, right down there with 4.x ypt Lev'eon Bell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:28 am 

While I appreciate James calling a spade a spade, he’s about as worthless on this offense as tits on a bull. We have the boring-est TE group in the league and it’s probably not close.

Below average boring TEs in an offense that highlights the position. Just great.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:17 am 

Yeah, B2B, it isn't just James, but Leveon Bell and Eli Rogers that have both majorly disappointed in the passing game too.

Bell has been targeted 33 times and has 27 receptions for 144 yards, a 5.3 yard average, and 0 TDs, he has no catches over 20+ yards and has produced just 8 first downs as a pass catcher.

I am sorry but what in all of that says that Bell runs routes like a WR? Or that he is so dangerous as a pass catcher? It is ludicrous that people, announcers, etc, all continue with this propaganda that Bell is the best receiving RB in the NFL, so dangerous, that 5.3 yards per catch is terrifying all right.

What should it be? Well, you look at Todd Gurley who has been rejuvenated with a new OC, and he has responded with 22 catches for 241 yards, an 11.0 yard average and 3 TDs, he had 4 pass plays over 20+ yards and 1 over 40+ yards and has produced 9 first downs. Gurley is performing like David Johnson did last season, and the both of them did things as a pass catcher that is deserving of praise, of being compared to WRs.

But for Bell to have 4 catches for 3 yards in those 3 playoff games and then to come into this season and average 5.3 yards a catch, and to have a first down percentage of just 30? 30%, are you kidding me?

2014 is such a long time ago. Back then before the injuries, Bell was really something, special. He had 83 receptions, but averaged 10.3 yards a catch. He produced a first down 50% of the time on those catches, he had 10 pass plays over 20+ yards, and 3 of those were over 40+ yards.

But now in 2017, we have a shadow of that great RB.

Rogers. He was supposed to have this great year as the slot WR, was supposed to hold off JuJu, but predictably it has not gone that way. I was never as impressed with him as others on this forum. In the 3 games that he did play he had 11 targets and produced just 6 catches, for 54 yards, a 9.0 yard average and 0 TDs with 3 first downs. So, he produced a first down on half of his catches.

So, how does that compare to other top slot WRs? Hell, I will point out a slot WR that KC has Albert Wilson, you watch how he will be used on Sunday and how he will kill us on key 3rd down pass plays. Albert Wilson has 16 catches for 158 yards, a 9.9 yd avg and 1 TD. He has a long pass play of 37 yards, but more importantly, he has 11 first downs on those 16 catches, that is 69%.

You look around the NFL and the top slot WRs all have first down catch rates close to 70%. Cole Beasley of Dallas last season was at 68%.

I just laughed when people this past offseason were comparing Rogers to some of the best slot WRs in the game. Rogers just isn't that good. I thought originally that maybe his ceiling was an Andrew Hawkins type of player but he isn't even close to that.

No, what is killing this offense is that the players that Ben has to count on to get open, make plays, move the chains, pick up those crucial first downs are performing incredibly bad. Rogers, James and Bell as a trio are giving us some of the worst production I have ever seen. Hard to move down the field when you can't convert first downs.

Also, in terms of Bell, what can you do? It isn't like there is another RB to put out there on 3rd downs. There is no 3rd down back, instead the coaching staff decided to have two identical players in Connor and Watson. Neither can be a true 3rd down pass catching option or be a return man. We so needed for them to keep Watson on the PS and bring in a smaller RB to be the 3rd down back and kick returner. I had thought some in the preseason that maybe Demarcus Ayers could have filled that role, but alas not to be. The RB group as it is currently constructed is not very good, or versatile, it is rather limited.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:21 am 

You are killing it in this thread, Scunge.

Good stuff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:44 am 

SteelerChef wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
Says offense is too predictable. This is fucking hilarious.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0 ... 70832081-4

Link worth clicking. I especially like the part where James says that if they are going to implement the no huddle they should probably bother to practice it. Ok he doesn't say that but comes close.

Read the actual quote. Lit you are now in predatory poaster territory. Congrats on dumbing down your little corner of the universe. You are a fraud academic.

Most of us are, Chef.

JJ says offense is predictable.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:46 am 

randomsteelerfan wrote:
What’s the big deal here? He didn’t say anything that anyone with 2 eyes and half a brain watching the game couldn’t see and deduce.

As far as the more effort into the no-huddle during the week, meh.

This statement is hardly inflammatory.

Good thing I didn't title the thread "JJ makes inflammatory statement."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:38 am 

More logs for the fire

Darren Gant writes about Tomlins interpretations :P

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -intended/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:56 am 
Damned if you do damned if you dont

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:20 am 

Quote:
. He has no pass plays over 20+ yards

How many did the rest of the team have?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:52 am 

Jesse James is doing an ok job. he's a #2 TE thrust into the #1 role because Vance McDonald cant' catch a cold. His quote was honest. he said the defenses have had good game plans. If anything it was a criticism to Haley. So why would people be pissed of Haley is getting called out? (as minor as a call out it was)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:53 am 

I've said it for weeks now in other threads. The scariest part of the offense right now is Leveon Bell. Jesse James is a late round pick that we are relying on to be our #1. He's a shit blocker, just OK as a receiver, and deceptively useful in the redzone at times as we can see from his number of TDs early in his career. That's all he is. If you expect him to be Jason Witten then you were deluding yourself from the beginning. Vance McDonald could have been a solution but he can't CATCH. That's a big problem for a TE. He has Limas Sweed hands right now.

Le'veon Bell is paid a fortune. Go back and look at his film from a year or two ago. Way quicker and faster. He is plodding out there right now. He's running in quick sand. Every time he's in space, I see defenders closing in on him easily. The next time I see him fake out a defender in the open field this season on a pass play will be the first time I see it. Don't be fooled from late game garbage running yards against Baltimore. The fact is that Bell this season has been pretty much stuffed when it counts.

That is killing the offense because it means we have to be perfect converting multiple 3rd downs on long plodding drives. I think I'm going to puke when someone calls Bell the best back in the league. I'd take about 10-12 other backs right now the way he's playing and maybe more. There is no burst or speed out of our backfield and MLBs aren't threatened at all.

All Brady or Ryan have to do at times is dump it to their quick speedy backs out of the backfield and enjoy 10-15 yard chunk plays. We don't have that at all and it's killing this offense because the MLBs can sit and relax in their zones.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:23 am 

I am not ready to give up on McDonald just yet, and I don't think he had Limas Sweed hands. On the first drop that I remember the LBer was tight in coverage and played the catch point and forced the ball out, not necessarily a dropped pass. He had one catch negated by penalty. He had one pass intercepted because Ben did not put enough on it, under threw it.

What I want to see is McDonald start a game as the #1, let him run the all the routes, and then see what happens. I bet he would be a big improvement over James. Don't forget, McDonald was signed so late before the season was to begin, he has to learn a new playbook and get comfortable, etc.

franco32, you are so right about Bell. I don't see what others see about Bell right now. He is not the same player, he is diminished. We got the best out of Bell and I have no problem watching him leave in free agency, it would be stupid for the Steelers to franchise him a second year in a row. And my idea of doing just that and somehow parlaying that into draft picks to move up and get a QB is a pipe dream at this point. All Bell is going to do the rest of the season is prove to the rest of the NFL how much he has declined, how his speed and quickness is deteriorating. And to think that the Steelers almost paid him $12 million a season! Sure they did that for the one year franchise tag, but it could have been for 5 years! Talk about dodging a bullet, he will be lucky to sniff what Freeman got paid by Atlanta.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:26 am 

This team is dysfunctional

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:37 am 

Kinda funny coming from this dude seeing as the offense gets considerably worse when he's on the field.

But if someone is gonna call out Haley I'm all for it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:50 am 

JJ has sure hands and seems like a team guy. Other than that he’s pretty limited at what he brings, but he’s still a decent depth guy. I too hope McDonald sees more time. Blocking alone will get him promoted then he’s gotta earn bens trust.

JJ is right about Haley’s strategic approach to games. What I don’t get about Haley is how could he have run such a good offense in zona and he’s such a moron now? The players including the qb aren’t doing him any favors but he’s getting outcoched on his own too.

Haley has even called a few good games for the Steelers. Yet he abandons what works.

Another interesting side of this is the storyline for a lot of media types who aren’t Steelers fans is Haley is reacting to the offense struggles, not the cause of them. They’ve tried the deep ball, really made it a point and it didn’t work so Haley retreats from it.

I don’t fully believe that but do believe there’s some truth in it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:12 am 

fortythree wrote:
Kinda funny coming from this dude seeing as the offense gets considerably worse when he's on the field.

He's one of the few guys on the team that has shown an ability to catch passes in the endzone. that counts for something. His quote was pretty much nothing. If you're going to bitch and moan about people making a big deal out of Bell acting like an asshole, yet your cool with JJ making a nothing quote, that spells AGENDA.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:34 am 

He is a marginal NFL'r.

If Coach Tomlin told any Internet turds on this forum to suit up and play TE, you'd all do it and suck at it.

The problem of James isn't James. He's a late round pick so the comparison to Heath make zero sense. The problem of James is who puts him out there.

Eventually maybe Vance McD will learn the offense, learn how to catch, learn how to not hold. Until then, we're stuck with a marginal talent because this is how the team chose to address the position.

At least he catches the ball. Which to date makes him the 2nd or 3rd most valuable receiver on this team behind Brown and I guess Bell. Yes this needs to change quickly.

Maybe it's a faulty observation...but it seems you see James more involved after McD f's something up.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:35 am 

Yeah.. I don't get the James bashing. He simply pointed out something everybody knew, not to mention what the jags players said publicly. Instead of focusing on what he said, it's an opportunity to judge him instead? Kill the messenger? Bell and AB jerk themselves off in social media and James says something he observed during the game and he's shit?

The only thing to take from this is that the players, as well as fans, are frustrated at the game planning and play call. But the fact that they don't practice the no huddle is concerning and probably true.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:50 am 

This is a deja vu moment from last season. The defense was dysfunctional and it took some changes ( like starting Harrison) to turn it around. I think the Justin Hunter experiment has run its course. Rodgers will get a hat this week. How long until they sign Ayers off the street to return punts?

Now if everyone in the NFL has a copy of Haley's playbook it is time to let him go and try something else.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:17 am 

fortythree wrote:

Indeed. An earlier poster in the thread pointed out that what JJ said is nothing to get worked up about bc what he said is so obvious to everyone.

Forgive me, but if it is obvious to everyone and our average TE is complaining about it to reporters, it seems like a pretty big fucking deal. The offense is absurd. I wonder whether Tomlin thinks it's just and all and only a failure to execute.

I NEVER complain about Tomlin. I'm getting fed up with him allowing Haley to continue the course.

But maybe it's true and the talent has fallen off a cliff.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:25 am 

I truly don't know what to make of JJ as a TE. Nearly all of the routes I see him run it to go out 5 or so yards and button hook. I rarely if ever see him attacking the seems, forcing a Safety to center of the field. Maybe he is incapable of it, but I have't seen that route tree for him at all, not even in trying. Can't say I have seen it with Grimble or anyone since Heath retired. So, that sort of stuff would fall on the shoulders of Haley. You can rip JJ's production, but it doesn't seem that they are using him anywhere near how they used Miller, yet the playbook is the same with many TE pages torn out. If JJ is incapable of that route tree, then the coaching staff (Tomlin, Haley) and Colbert have really fucked up not finding a TE that can run those routes. A good TE keeps the Safety's at home, allowing your outside receivers more freedom on their side of the field. As it is now, teams double AB and cheat their SS into the box to account for Bell. Terrible coaching!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:11 pm 

It seems that a lot of people on this team are questioning the play calling and make up the team.
they need to get this fixed quickly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:30 pm 

Ok, I read it. I don't see any issue. A lot of the discussion here is creative context.