It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: RUN THE BALL
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:23 pm 

I think we are going to see a run heavy game plan Sunday, including after we are down by 2-3 touchdowns. It is going to be an ugly game.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:33 pm 

Ice wrote:
I
A point I saw brought up yesterday was that a coaching staff can become TOO enamored with the idea of "taking what a defense gives you,"

I don't think they do that, at all. I think we do what we do, within the context of predicting of how the defense will defend us. That's why when something is working, they quickly go away from it in anticipation of the defense adjusting. NE, on the other hand, truly does "take what they give us"....and keeps doing it UNTIL the defense proves they can stop it.

Haley is always trying to be two steps ahead of the defense, and he usually sucks at it. He'll keep banging his head into the wall trying to exploit "what the defense gives us" UNTIL it starts to work then he goes away from it. When we find a weakness, we usually let the defense off the hook to adjust.

If I'm a DC, I force PIT to play small ball. And, hey, if it works they'll stop doing it, anyway. Sort of a philosophy that "Haley will make me look smart, even when I'm stupid".

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:03 pm 
Kodiak wrote:
Ice wrote:
I
A point I saw brought up yesterday was that a coaching staff can become TOO enamored with the idea of "taking what a defense gives you,"

I don't think they do that, at all. I think we do what we do, within the context of predicting of how the defense will defend us. That's why when something is working, they quickly go away from it in anticipation of the defense adjusting. NE, on the other hand, truly does "take what they give us"....and keeps doing it UNTIL the defense proves they can stop it.

Haley is always trying to be two steps ahead of the defense, and he usually sucks at it. He'll keep banging his head into the wall trying to exploit "what the defense gives us" UNTIL it starts to work then he goes away from it. When we find a weakness, we usually let the defense off the hook to adjust.

If I'm a DC, I force PIT to play small ball. And, hey, if it works they'll stop doing it, anyway. Sort of a philosophy that "Haley will make me look smart, even when I'm stupid".

Good point

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:04 pm 

Run the ball....

...into 8 and 9 man fronts? That is what we should have done more of last Sunday?

Running the ball more only makes it more of a low scoring game, and keeps the other team in it to the very end.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:10 pm 

Scunge wrote:
Run the ball....

...into 8 and 9 man fronts? That is what we should have done more of last Sunday?

Running the ball more only makes it more of a low scoring game, and keeps the other team in it to the very end.

In this case it may be forcing the Chiefs to keep US in it until the end.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:24 pm 
I think Kodiak made a great point in another thread.

Basically....one of Haleys great flaws is....he finds something that works on a basic level....like running when there is 7 or less in the box for instance....rather than merely doing that until they stop it.....haley seems to anticipate the adjustment before it happens and then goes into grab bag mode....in order to not run the same play again.....when in reality....perhaps he should

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:29 am 

Scunge wrote:
Run the ball....

True. But since Cowher, no matter what the game plan or roster, this team rarely is comfortably ahead. It's always too close for comfort.

Run the ball because this defense can't stop the run. Until they figure that out, possess the ball and milk the clock.

Frankly, I think Smith will expose our secondary while KC concurrently runs for 180 yards.

Butler is a moron. He is not NFL ready. Opposing offensive coaches make him their bitch. And yes....though I love the guy, that failed hire is SOLELY on Tomlin.

Ultimately, America's answer to the intolerant man is diversity, the very diversity which our heritage of religious freedom has inspired.

Robert F. Kennedy...50 years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:25 am 

I think they were fooled badly into thinking the short stuff was going to work.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:56 am 

Ice wrote:
I'm starting to think the answer is more Conner and Watson, myself. Both have shown flashes in like 1/10th of the chances Bell has gotten, and both are physical enough to contribute to wearing down a defense.

A point I saw brought up yesterday was that a coaching staff can become TOO enamored with the idea of "taking what a defense gives you," to the point where you allow it to take you out of what you do best as a team, and into something you aren't (screens, dumpoffs and short range passing into tight windows, in this case), effectively playing right into the opposing team's hands. Strategically, I think the staff was guilty of that on Sunday.

Connor made some big mistakes last Sunday. He needs to learn the playbook and learn how to pass protect too. He cost us a very crucial drive last week.

Everyone has the bar set at what the Patriots do/did in their mind. They have a once in a generation coach and the same at QB, plus they are in the worst division in the NFL since Christ was born. We do not need to measure against what they do. All we need to do is beat them in the playoffs or have someone else do so.

Just stay the course. Better what is working and fix what is broken. We will go up to camp 1 then camp 2 and come back to camp 1 then back up to 2 and on to camp 3 etc. we just need to be at camp 3 in December for the assault on the summit. We don’t need 30 points a game, and we don’t need to be 16-0.