It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Circle the Wagon Steelers - Us Against the World
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:35 pm 

Looks like old habits die hard in the Burgh

The Us against the world mantra is being trotted out again. Ben firing one across the bow of the "talking heads"

Quote:
Roethlisberger bristles at questions about whether he has it anymore - from PansyLawyerTalk

Here’s one of the fun things about sports. And by “fun” I mean “something that wants me to rip the hair out of the thing that I paste to my bald scalp.”

It goes like this. Player performs poorly. Player then admits he played poorly. Reporters point out that: (1) he played poorly; and (2) he admitted that he played poorly. Player then gets upset with reporters.

The latest example of this dynamic is Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who threw five interceptions on Sunday against the Jaguars and who then declared to the media, “Maybe I don’t have it anymore.”

During his Wednesday press conference, Roethlisberger fired back at those who noticed that he didn’t play well and that he then admitted he didn’t play well.

“They can question me,” Roethlisberger told reporters on Wednesday, via Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com. “I don’t question myself. . . . No offense to any of you guys, but it doesn’t matter to me how you guys question me or not or quote-on-quote professional talking heads.”

Of course, it’s Roethlisberger who questioned himself, just three days ago. And for good reason. He threw five interceptions, two of which were returned for touchdowns.

Some players attributed the struggles of the offense to game planning, which pushes blame away from the players and toward the coaches. Coach Mike Tomlin said it’s not a game-planning problem, pushing blame away from the coaches and toward the players.

Regardless, the dysfunctional Steelers seem to have found unity in taking on the media. Roethlisberger was, we’re told, short with reporters on Wednesday. (He’s apparently miffed with ESPN because Stephen A. Smith went after Ben on Monday on First Take.)

Also, cameras were instructed at one point not to film Roethlisberger during the portion of practice that was open to the media, both by Roethlisberger himself and separately by offensive coordinator Todd Haley. Roethlisberger has been sitting out Wednesday practices; it will be interesting to see whether he puts in a full workload this Wednesday as the Steelers dedicate themselves to performing better on offense — and to taking on those who have dared to notice that, at times this year, they haven’t.

The bolded against Steve Ass Smiff is interesting of note.

Well if they need a kick in the ass, use what's worked before for team cohesion.

Post subject: Re: Circle the Wagon Steelers - Us Against the World
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:04 pm 

Why the hell would anyone be "reading their press clippings"? They pile on just about everyone not named Tom Brady for even a below average game. And when you lay a stinker, then you're "washed up?".

Have someone make a scrapbook for you. Then go read it for the first time a few years after you retire.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:18 pm 

See, this is why I hate everything laid on the QB's as it relates to interceptions. Yes, he threw the passes that led to two touchdowns off of pick-sixes. However, those passes were tipped at the line by a Dlineman, so at that point, there is zero that can be done about the pick. It's not as if Ben threw too high and led to the pick by sailing it over the head of our WR only to land in the awaiting arms of a safety. A third pick came as a result of anticipating the WR at point B, only for the WR to fall never making it to point B - can't really fault him there either (he doesn't have a damn crystal ball!). Now, I do fault him for the other two picks. The one knocked away from AB was too high allowing the CB to punch the ball out of AB's hands and into awaiting arms. The last into the endzone was also his fault as he was forcing a throw to AB, when I think Shuster was open more. As the game wore on, Ben went back to his comfort WR.

Look at the interception recorded for Ben when AB lost control on the ground and it popped into the defenders hands. That shouldn't count against the QB! I know the stat has to go somewhere but not fair to always pin it on the QB. But to be fair, QB's are protected far more than any other position in football and most of them wear the dress well. No, I'm not trying to stick up for Ben, he had a bad game, but it was mostly bad luck and not necessarily a piss poor effort as some think. Media likes to pounce!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:24 pm 

Love it.

Lay it on em.

Piss em off.

Fire em up.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:12 pm 

Miter Saw wrote:
Love it.

Lay it on em.

Piss em off.

Fire em up.

Take away their ping-pong paddles too!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:09 pm 

BethlehemSteel wrote:
Some players attributed the struggles of the offense to game planning, which pushes blame away from the players and toward the coaches. Coach Mike Tomlin said it’s not a game-planning problem, pushing blame away from the coaches and toward the players.

A 3-2 team that is a mess right now.

Winning cures a lot of ills... we shall see.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:43 pm 

Steelers beat Alex smiff, the fat fuck Andy Reid, and the Kansas City chefs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:58 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
Steelers beat Alex smiff, the fat fuck Andy Reid, and the Kansas City chefs

Maybe this week we'll get to bitch about the defense....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:38 pm 

A wounded animal is a dangerous animal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:46 pm 

Shazier says.....

Quote:
The Steelers slipped to 3-2 on Sunday via the worst home loss since 2006. The 30-9 defeat has sparked plenty of chatter and criticism, primarily directed to the offensive side of the ball.

One of the key players on the defensive side of the ball believes everything will be fine.

“I feel like the team’s going to be all right,” linebacker Ryan Shazier said during a visit to Thursday’s PFT Live. “You know, everybody from the outside looking in always has something to say and they don’t really know what’s going on in our locker room, and when things don’t go the way that everybody from the outside looking in expects it to go, they always find a way to attack the team or attack the leadership on the team. I think that’s whats happening right now, but I feel like everything’s fine. We’re going to get back on track and then we’re just going to have to let everybody from the outside looking in jump back on the bandwagon when everything’s going back the way we want it to.”

The fact that Shazier hopes the team will get back on track implies that there’s a need to get back on track.

“I understand that it’s a lot of stuff going on, and at the end of the day we just can’t allow those things to be distractions and we’ve just got to play football, because those little things can end up getting bigger and bigger throughout the year, and we just got to grow up and just play football and focus on football, because that’s what our job is,” Shazier said. “So I think we’re going to get back on track and throughout the rest of the season we’re going to be fine.”

Shazier believes that, to a certain extent, the Steelers have become a victim of their success.

“[A]fter a while when you get a lot of attention, people are always going to find something to pick at and I think that’s what the offense, that’s what they’re trying to do,” Shazier said. “They’re always trying to find something to pick at with our offense, and I think that’s why people are starting to question the things that are going on, but we know that they’re going to be back on track. We know that they’re going to be all right and I think that we’re going to be fine.”

The process of getting to the point where everything is fine has yet to result in a players-only meeting.

“Not yet, because honestly we don’t feel like we need it,” Shazier said. “We all understand the scenario. We all understand the importance of what’s going on through the season and honestly I feel like everybody knows what they need to do and what we need to get done. If you can just look in the eyes of each other and talk to each other and just see what’s going on then we can tell that, ‘Hey everything’s not going the way we want to,’ and honestly I think that’s going to get us back on track.”

They can go a long way toward getting back on track if the Steelers beat the Chiefs on Sunday. It would push the Steelers to 4-2 and immediately change the narratives that have emerged after the Week Five failure against Jacksonville.