It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Bryant might be a healthy scratch this week.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:00 pm 

I always thought parcells a fine coach..and jimmy Johnson good too..i think tomlin and cowher both a step or 2 behind these guys.. prob others worth mentioning but not thinking now.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:10 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
Ice wrote:
Flores won a Super Bowl in New England?

Doesn't matter....I'm responding to the biz about "best coaches in football history." And pointing out that, even though these two (Tomlin/Cowher) each won a Super Bowl, neither was able to beat Bill Belichick in a game that truly counted.

The point is that the last three Steelers coaches have rings. Name another team that can say that and I'll shut up.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:32 pm 

Ice wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
Ice wrote:

Doesn't matter....I'm responding to the biz about "best coaches in football history." And pointing out that, even though these two (Tomlin/Cowher) each won a Super Bowl, neither was able to beat Bill Belichick in a game that truly counted.

The point is that the last three Steelers coaches have rings. Name another team that can say that and I'll shut up.

Part of which is due to the Steelers brass giving HCs serious tenure. Are there other teams that have only had three HCs since 1969?

Noll: 23 years
BC: 15
MT: 10 and counting

Hard to say if the team would have more or less rings if ownership did not give HC hires so much rope. But Noll taught the Rooney's to stick with the date that brung ya.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:56 pm 

Ice wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
Ice wrote:

I don't think that point much matters, Ice. The challenge is this notion that Cowher & Tomlin are among the "best coaches in football history." Do you think that's true?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:26 pm 

Depends how long you want to extend the list. You could make a case for Cowher in the top 20.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:32 pm 

Best in history? Nope.

To Cowher’s credit he strung together a lot of wins with some really medicocre to bad QBs. Now he was a big part of reason we rolled with said QBs so fault to him there. But that doesn’t change the point. He finally got a QB on the field and promptly won a SB. Had that occurred earlier in his career before he lost his fire he likely has more rings.

With Tomlin it’ll be the opposite. Early success by havin a QB that hid the warts. QB is now playing poorly and the team looks to be without a clue. More of that is to come is quite the possibility.

What differentiates Cowher/Tomlin from Noll before them and Bellichick today is approach. Noll & Bellichick were and are sticklers for the details. Small mistakes in practice can become big mistakes in games. So they drill the small stuff. They work on something over and over till it is right. Lots of former and current Pats players have spoken to what a Patriots practice is like. As have former Steelers that played under Noll. I think it was Blier that said people used to mistakenly think the Steelers were a bunch of guys out there playing like a bunch of crazies. He said opposite was true. They were methodical in their approach and became a well oiled machine. Noll would say “success is a result of the habits that you create”. Now that’s not only usefule in football but in life.

While I’m sure Cowher/Tomlin do these things to some degree it certainly doesn’t appear to be the case nor do we have players alluding to this. Their approach leans more toward emotion.

And when that emotion runs flat (like it typically does vs. lesser teams) we end up playing sloppy uninspired football. Because when you don’t demand excellence in the small things, it becomes easy to to forget them on the field. Especially when you aren’t as “fired up” for the game as you may be with others.

There is a reason Cowher & Tomlin led teams always seem to need their backs against the wall before they get their shit together.

Something they used to tell us in the Marine Corps is the 7 P’s

Prior proper planning prevents piss poor performance.

Does what Tomlin “puts on tape” look like a guy that thinks ahead?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7