It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Martavis Bryant
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:09 pm 

I thought this deserved a thread of it's own.

I am interested in everyone's thoughts on why we haven't seen the dynamic playmaker we expected.

Where is the dynamic natural runner weaving thru traffic making guys miss? Did he bulk up too much?

Is this a matter of sample size?

Is it as simple as Haley underutilizing him?

We need this guy to be a playmaker for us. It has to still be in there somewhere. How can we get it back?

Edit: I did not intend to start a 2nd thread on Bryant.

Last edited by Havoc on Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Martavis Bryant
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:12 pm 

Havoc wrote:

I am interested in everyone's thoughts on why we haven't seen the dynamic playmaker we expected.

Where is the dynamic natural runner weaving thru traffic making guys miss? Did he bulk up too much?

We need this guy to be a playmaker for us. It has to still be in there somewhere. How can we get it back?

I definitely don't think he bulked up too much. I'd say it's a combo of scheme, rust, and lack of mental focus.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:31 pm 

Seeing him on field in person on Sunday, with and without pads says, no did not bulk up too much. May have dropped back down a bit with training camp.

I think a a few problems can be.
1. He is not a very accomplished route Runner. Or at least his route tree is limited.
2. There should be two, three or more simple curls or 7/8 yard outs per game that should be easy completions given his speed and deep threat. He needs to get very good at running this route selling long stopping and turning.
3. Incorporating these simple pass plays is part of offensive game planning and play calling. We don't see enough of it.
4. Offensive strategy game planning and play calling is very unimaginative and predictable. There are so many more things that you could do with Martavis Bryant.
5. He should be streaking in motion more often with a threat of a handoff, and around, fake handoff, or at minimum a running start into the secondary. It will create more confusion and movement of linebackers and safeties. We Stand still most of the time.

I think not having him more Incorporated in game planand play calling starts with the head coach, oc and Ben.... the three headed masterminds of our offense.

Taking a helmet away from him this coming Sunday will be a mistake it could lead to a down spiral that will be detrimental to him and the team.

I see very little out of Justin Hunter to justify giving him a helmet over Bryant. I think he is just as Limited in his routes as Bryant. And looks like a pencil with the uniform on as he may be a buck 90 in his six foot three frame.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:38 pm 

I didn't mean to start a 2nd thread on Bryant.

Mods feel free to delete this one if you want.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:04 pm 

Havoc wrote:

He looked good on the TD he housed a while back. It is the patented U Offense. We have an offense that should be able to attack everywhere, which fucks up a defense. We turned a fucking Stallion into a glue horse.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:29 pm 
Imo ?

Haley
Haley
Zero camp
Haley
Zero football for a year+
Haley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:33 pm 

Zeke5123 wrote:
Havoc wrote:

He looked good on the TD he housed a while back. It is the patented U Offense. We have an offense that should be able to attack everywhere, which fucks up a defense. We turned a fucking Stallion into a glue horse.

I hear you. Why have we so blatantly gone back to the U? I hate the U shaped passing game with a passion as do many of us. It's like we have gone back in time to Haley's first couple years here.

I agree Bryant did look good on the TD... but that was a burst of speed which is good of course.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:35 pm 

SteelerChef wrote:
Imo ?

Haley
Haley
Zero camp
Haley
Zero football for a year+
Haley

Pretty much.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:51 pm 

Stosh-67 wrote:
Seeing him on field in person on Sunday, with and without pads says, no did not bulk up too much. May have dropped back down a bit with training camp.

I think a a few problems can be.
1. He is not a very accomplished route Runner. Or at least his route tree is limited.
2. There should be two, three or more simple curls or 7/8 yard outs per game that should be easy completions given his speed and deep threat. He needs to get very good at running this route selling long stopping and turning.
3. Incorporating these simple pass plays is part of offensive game planning and play calling. We don't see enough of it.
4. Offensive strategy game planning and play calling is very unimaginative and predictable. There are so many more things that you could do with Martavis Bryant.
5. He should be streaking in motion more often with a threat of a handoff, and around, fake handoff, or at minimum a running start into the secondary. It will create more confusion and movement of linebackers and safeties. We Stand still most of the time.

I think not having him more Incorporated in game planand play calling starts with the head coach, oc and Ben.... the three headed masterminds of our offense.

Taking a helmet away from him this coming Sunday will be a mistake it could lead to a down spiral that will be detrimental to him and the team.

I see very little out of Justin Hunter to justify giving him a helmet over Bryant. I think he is just as Limited in his routes as Bryant. And looks like a pencil with the uniform on as he may be a buck 90 in his six foot three frame.

Good thoughts, Stosh

I am also thinking of Haley saying to Bryant (the Alien version) on the sideline... "I've never had a player like you" (or something similar to that).

It seemed to me, that Haley loved what Bryant brought to the table.

And now we have news that Bryant might be seeing the bench.

I wonder is something is missing from this equation.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:26 pm 

Havoc wrote:
I wonder is something is missing from this equation.

I've only seen him really separate like once or twice on go routes.

I wonder if he hasn't lost a step with the extra 20-30 lbs. On the other hand, most world-class sprinters are built like LBers. I don't know.