It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 8 Keys To Steelers Chiefs
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:30 am 

I rewatched the Chiefs game from last week and I've seen them now 4 of 5 games this season. Here's how I see keys to the game:

1. Travis Kelce is Alex Smith's AB. Smith looks for Kelce on pretty much every meaningful 3rd down and/or when he gets pressured and has to reset the pocket or throw in a hurry. Ryan Shazier has basically given up nothing in coverage, while adding an array of stupendous INTs. He's made a dramatic step forward this season-- but this is arguably the toughest matchup he will face. Kelce is a whiner and a toolbag but he's an awesome receiving talent. Shazier has to at least limit Kelce's chances.

2. Pressure is still Alex Smith's kryptonite. Houston got a good deal of interior pressure and forced Smith into some rushed throws-- not his strength.

3. Heyward, Tuitt, and especially Hargrave are the keys to the game. I predict the Steelers will prioritize contain on the outside rush and try to push the pocket into Smith's lap. I also predict they're going to have some success doing that. If the OLBs/DEs don't let Smith escape out of the pocket, the Steelers have a chance to keep KC down, much like last year's two games. If they let him escape and Kelce is healthy, Steelers' D is in for a long day.

4. Tyreek Hill is improved as a WR, but he's still much more dangerous on designed run plays and especially returns. He's simply one of those dudes that you in no circumstances whatsoever allow to return the football,

5. This would be a great week to feature all three TEs plus Juju. You want some instant boost for the offense and red zone production? Derrick Johnson is many things-- coverage LB vs good TEs is not one of them. Steelers have to get Grimble running the seam routes he had success with last year. They have to get McDonald some easier catch and run targets-- how about a return route, Todd? Maybe a slant? McDonald can really run after the catch, but he isn't the tallest most high-pointingest target for the seam route he's been targeted with like 3 times. The Steelers really lack a big body who can use the frame to get body position, then go up and fight for the football. Juju looks to have some of that skill and should be used that way, especially in the red zone.

6. The return of Marcus Gilbert. The Steelers record over the past few seasons is awful without GIlbert and damn good with him. Justin Houston will play, also, but GIlbert is the Steelers' secret weapon. If Gilbert can hold Houston to a stalemate, the Steelers' offense has a chance for a good day.

7. Ramon Foster is an injury question mark. I like B.J. Finney as a backup guard, but let us hope Foster can be in there because the Chris Jones's nad Bennie Logans of the world are a better matchup for fatass Foster than the more mobile Finney.

8. The Chiefs are way more impressive on offense and their D is good but not great. They also have hidden points/yards from their STs. Slow down the Chiefs O, especially winning first downs and third downs and Pittsburgh has a chance to come home happy on Sunday.

Post subject: Re: 8 Keys To Steelers Chiefs
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:06 am 

9. Ben stops being a whining, welfare queen....accepting money that he didn't earn. $102 MILLION dollars has to be worth at least 300 yards and 2 TDs a game..(~4800 yards and 32 TDs a season...nothing close to record-breaking but still amazing).

Anything less...it's on him. All offenses live and die with their QB. With glory comes responsibility.

If he can't handle the pressure, retire. He isn't doing us any favors with this half-assed effort.

Ben's LAZY. He got away with it with GOD GIVEN ability in his youth. He didn't bother studying film...he got away with winging it. Sandlot football. He made it easy for Belicheat to defend him. The top-5 defenses in his youth mitigated his poor decisions.

Who now can reason away his double (triple?) chin and tired legs? Who now would say he is a student of the game? Shit...the boy wanted to RETIRE earlier this year!

Do players who desire RETIREMENT strike you numbskulls as players who will devote countless hours dissecting their opponents?

If you said yes....really?

I thought Peyton was a soft fuck...and maybe he is....but he came back after 14 months rehabbing a weakened neck that was one hit away from paralysis.... and threw 40 TDs when he was 3 years OLDER than Ben ..while making Manny Sanders a star.

Shit...Ben thinks golf is an off-season workout. Ben's just plain lazy. And now, the world sees it.

Look at Brady. Look at Newton. Look at Brees. Look at any top 15 QB. Who the FUCK amongst them looks like Ben's rotund, bloated corpse? Only in western PA would you not see how sad he looks.

FYI: The rest of the team and coaching staff is seriously flawed...but a QB with a 8-figure contract has to be primarily accountable.

If he isn't, pay someone else with the balls and financial gratitude to step up.

Ultimately, America's answer to the intolerant man is diversity, the very diversity which our heritage of religious freedom has inspired.

Robert F. Kennedy...50 years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:31 am 

Somebody didn't take their prozac today. :?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:16 pm 

Unfortunately, that is about 7 keys too many for this band of dummies.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:29 pm 

KCSteeler wrote:
Unfortunately, that is about 7 keys too many for this band of dummies.

I'm super confident Tomlin will come up with a game plan that is spectacular and he will display his coaching genius on a national level.

Just kidding. He will have no fucking idea what is going on as his team is humiliated.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:03 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
5. This would be a great week to feature all three TEs plus Juju. You want some instant boost for the offense and red zone production? Derrick Johnson is many things-- coverage LB vs good TEs is not one of them. Steelers have to get Grimble running the seam routes he had success with last year. They have to get McDonald some easier catch and run targets-- how about a return route, Todd? Maybe a slant? McDonald can really run after the catch, but he isn't the tallest most high-pointingest target for the seam route he's been targeted with like 3 times. The Steelers really lack a big body who can use the frame to get body position, then go up and fight for the football. Juju looks to have some of that skill and should be used that way, especially in the red zone

This.

With no Alien in sight...

We have to hope JuJu becomes a high impact player and we need to get a significantly higher level of play from our TE's in the passing game.

This could change our season.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:28 pm 

Keys/no keys....Steelers win tomorrow. I'm actually a bit confident about this.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:55 pm 

Nice post B2B, thanks.

As usual, the battle to be won is at the LOS. Hopefully Gilbert can acclimate quickly after so much time off.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:13 pm 
swissvale72 wrote:
Keys/no keys....Steelers win tomorrow. I'm actually a bit confident about this.

Me too

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:31 pm 

Thanks B, for taking the time to put out your keys to beating this 5-0 team.

This KC team is running on all cylinders.
They have borrowed 2 from the Steelers and are running on 8....while we putt along in a 4 cylinder Turcel.
They have a very diverse and un-predictable offense.
You very rarely know what is coming, run pass, screen, end around, jet sweep, QB keeper, run option, etc.
They also send their RB's and TE's deeper in patterns than most any team.

Alex Smith is playing with confidence and off to the best start of his solid and consistent career.
Even tho the stats show he is still very horizontal in his success, he is taking more deeper shots than in years past.
125.8 Passer rating, 11 TDs, 0 INTs, 5th in yards. and his 8.8 ypa leads the NFL.
His 23 rushes for 108 yards says he still has pretty nimble feet and can easily produce some back breaking 3rd and long runs.

Stopping or limiting Smiths effectiveness will come via the Steelers stopping the KC running game.
They are multiple in their run game.

Kareem Hunt leads the NFL with 609 yards ( about 150 more than any other RB ), avg 6.9 yards pop with 4 TDs.
Equates to a 16 game pace of 310 carries for 1948 yards and 13 TD's. Wow.
Explosive: 7 runs of 20+ yards ( only 2 other backs have 4 ) inludes 3 runs of 40+ yards ( no one else has more than 1 )
He is also dangerous out of the backfield with 16 catches and 166 yards, 10.4 avg. with 2 more TD's.
Not bad for a rookie 3rd round ( 86th ) pick.
A handful of good young backs, taken after the first round, having immediate success, is evidence that you don't have to draft a 1st round RB.

Wow, If I'm sounding like Tomlin in his pressers, making it sound like the opponent are world beaters...........
Well then, I am.
Tip of the cap to Andy Reid.
Has always had a functional, well coached team that executes on offense with a smooth quickness, precision with unpredictable play calling.
Shit, there I go again.

Hit Tyrek Hill often.
Tyrek Hill is always a threat to take a hand off, tho not many attempts so far in 5 games.
Should always be part of a game plan against a little guy. Take a little confidence away from him early. Put his head on a swivel.
First time he comes in motion flying behind the line of scrimmage........what ever way he is running, that OLB has to decleat him. Weather he gets the ball or not.
And it will probably be easier to do when he does not get the ball, since there will be no planned blocking scheme for him on that play. Let him feel it early.

And Yes, Steelers have to take away Kelce as Smiths security blanket.
The grad A dee-bag is also off to the best start of his career.
And that Dee-bag in him is what gives him the confidence to play like he does.
His one fault is the dumb penalties he takes.
I think the game plan should be to push this guy around, tug, toss, chipped by multiple defenders. No free releases.
If we can slow him down early, start chirping in his ear.

Of course Hill is the most explosive of the WR's. Since he moves around a lot, he can not go un-accounted for. If he catches it, he has to be drilled and hit by multiple defenders after the catch.

Key to stopping the KC passing game will be:
1. Of course, limiting first down yardage.
Take away the run first. I would play 8 in the box more often than not.
We know it starts up front with Cam, GD and Tuit.............
But the key to disrupting this offense may be Davis and Hilton and outside penetration to blow up some plays.

I thought Cam and Tuit had an off day on Sunday. They were quiet. Look for them to rebound on Sunday.
Grave digger got more snaps against the Jags and I think led the team with 10 total tackles. Which is insane for a NT.

2. Slow down and frustrate Kelce. Shazier will have his first big challenge of the year.
But it should be a team effort in knocking him around. Lets bring the D-bag out in Kelce.

3. Make Smith find someone other than Kelce and Hill. Don't forget Hunt out of the backfield. Let their 3rd and 4th options make plays. Lets see how in sync those guys are with Smith.

4. This front 7 needs to have their best game of the year. Cam and Tuit need to earn their $8-$9 million salaries.
Bud Dupree needs to play with more power and passion. We should see James Harrison with a hat on Sunday as the staff may have realized he is still their best run stuffing OLB and he was severely missed against the Bears and Jags. Mistake noted. Hopefully. With James getting some snaps, may see more of Watt coming from different spots on the field. If Dupree continues to underwhelm, we may even see JH and Watt as the 2 OLBs for stretches. Bottom line, I think their is too much talent on the front line, along with Shaz, Watt, Harrison and Dupree....not to be causing havoc against the KC oline.

On offense.
This team needs to get their head out of their ass from the top down.
That means the three head cluster fuck of offensive ineptitude of Tomlin, Haley and Ben.
From offensive approach, to offensive philosophy, to game planning, to play calling, to being in sync, to be predictable, to mixing things up, no huddle, to using al parts of the field.
The war of attrition, keep it close, play mistake free, win it in the 4th approach is what promises to keep this offense in low gear and averaging less than 20 as opposed to the +30 they should.
9 TD's and 10 FG's thru 5 games with a HOF QB, top 5 OL, top 5 RB, Top 3 WR and some real nice complementary weapons in Bryant, JuJu, James, McDonald, Rogers, Grimble...........
There are teams out there doing so much more with so much less.
Thru 5 games, the three headed brain-staff all get D's.

As B2B pointed out after watching the all 22............this team fails to attack all parts of the field. Fails to attack the middle and seams.
Continues to incorporate the "U" shaped offensive passing game. Continues to work sideways. An there is plenty of it on tape for other teams to eat up.
They need to be different come Sunday.
We need to see what Ben was referring to during the off season when he mentioned a lot of new things that Bell and Bryant were missing in camp. WTF.
We have seen nothing new. Nothing shiny.

This KC defense is their weaker unit.
Lost one of their best player in Berry.
They give up points. 20 or more in 4 of 5 games.
27th in the NFL in yards allowed.
Be the attacker. Take the crowd out of this game early.

We hear about how Bell and James have low avg per catch numbers.
Part of that is a result of how this offense calls plays.
Utilize Bell in the passing game with more than just dump offs. Have him line up in the slot and hit him on deeper slants.
Put him in motion from the backfield more.
Send James on some deeper routes. With heavy run looks and tighter boxes.....James has to be hit down the seam with some quick hitters.
If not James, then Grimble has show some success down the seam. If Grimble and McDonald get a helmet, no reason they all can not see considerable snaps. James does not to be on the field more than 30 snaps.

Huge mistake if Bryant is not active.
You don't think teams are giddy as anything with that move.
They are taking away that freak, deep threat.
If teams were not playing close enough to the line of scrimmage with Bryant, what will they do without him.
Learn how to use this guy. Its not rocket science.
He should be hit on a simple out or a curl 3 or 4 times a game. With his speed, it make the deep shots more successful.
He should be in motion more. With the threat of an end around, more movement on defense.....and with a running start into the secondary to create more space.

Throw a little Andy Reid at the Chiefs.
Line up AB in the backfield once or twice. Line him up at H-back. Put him in motion. Last time AB had an end around?
Need more miss-direction. Roll outs, bootleg toss to TE rolling or JuJu coming from opposite side slot position.
We need to trick defense more. Have them guessing wrong more. Last time we said holly shit.....look at the defense going the wrong way?
Last time we had a player wide the eff open.
I will never be convinced that the reason the 2017 PS can't get players wide open is because we lack the talent.
We do our players no favors. We do Ben no favors...........nothing is easy.
Because its not planned into the game. Its not called.
We rely entirely too much on said player running correct route, with perfect blocking and on perfect timing and perfect execution.
The other team is relying on the same thing and they are paid well to do it as well.
To me, its more about being smarter and playing smarter.
When push comes to show. Execution evens itself out for the most part.
And its football smarts, very good play calling, that will give one unit an edge over another for those 10-15 plays a game that make a difference in winning and losing.

Go no huddle we can take KC crowd out early.
Go hurry up. Throw some quick snaps in there for some running plays.

OL has to have their best game.
Would like to see Connor with 4-5 carries. I think he is quicker to the edges than Bell, as our run game has become to predictable with many runs between the tackles.

Lastly and most importantly.

Ben needs to welcome himself to the 2017 season.
I expect so much more from him.
I always believed that he believed he could just step on the field, grab that ball, chuck it around and win games.
And he did it a lot.

He needs to take charge of this team on the field.
Sloppy play, false starts, miss communication, rhythm and sync, ebb and flow, energy and passion.
A lot of that happens on the field. A lot of that is the guy in charge on the field.
Ben....you need to step up and right this offense.
Be a general.
Lead this team.

Go Steelers.