It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Deebo made the difference
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:14 pm 

Harrison makes the difference.

The common denominator in both the Bears and Jags loss was that the defense came apart in the late stages of the game. Whether it was from fatigue or lack of concentration the defense lost their mojo especially in defending the run.

Harrison played most of his snaps at the very beginning and the very end of the game Sunday. In the beginning, he set the tone for the defense against a strong running and gadget team. He kept in his lanes and didn't overreact like our other young outside linebackers are sometimes prone to do.

At the end, he was able to close the deal once, but even those times he didn't he was able to rush Smith quickly enough to prevent him from connecting with a few wide open targets. I'm not talking about a bunch of wide loop routes like I see Dupree taking, but getting around Fischer fast enough to really put the fear of God in Smith and cause him to throw the ball a lot quicker than he wanted to.

Silverback made all the difference in this game. And I have to believe that if allowed to rotate in our two losses, he may have made a difference in those games as well.

I don't understand why it took the braintrust so long to make this change. I have to assume they feel he only has a certain number of snaps left, and want to prolong him for the "big" games late in the season and in the playoffs. But someone so well conditioned as Deebo, I'm not inclined to think that way. As long as he's not playing every snap, I say let the man play. For an organization that values "coaches on the field" so highly, it blows my mind that they can't use Harrison in this role.

I hope they will continue to allow the man to play, especially at intervals when the defense seems out of control and needs a veteran stable hand at the wheel.

Deebo makes all the difference.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:43 pm 

JackSplat58 wrote:
... For an organization that values "coaches on the field" so highly, it blows my mind that they can't use Harrison in this role.

That's a really good point. His experience in reading and diagnosing the offense can definitely make a difference even if Harrison, individually, doesn't on any given play.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:46 pm 

Immediately after the game I thought he was instrumental in sealing the win. But if that's what this defense needs to win, then the steelers are fucked.

Hargrave, Tuitt and Heyward, with some blitz's and LB's were pressuring smiff all day long.

I'd like to look at the tape and see what effect those 15 snaps harrison had. . .

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:50 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
I'd like to look at the tape and see what effect those 15 snaps harrison had. . .

I think the point is he's still a playmaker, more so than Watt or Dupree....when he has fresh legs. I want my best playmakers on the field in critical situations.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6