It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Going for two. Yinz serious?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:15 pm 

tunch wrote:
FromPittWithLove wrote:
Swiss, someone even had the audacity to tell me that an 8 point lead is just as good as a 1.5 score lead as evidence for why we should go for 2. Bewildering.

You didn't (or can't) explain why that line of reasoning is wrong.

Here's a crazy thought, when you are up by 9, the two point conversion following a TD doesn't tie the game.

How's that for a reason? I don't know about you, but I like to know that my opponent has to possess the ball AT LEAST twice, rather than once, to tie or take the lead. Even if you consider the 2 point conversion a 50/50 proposition, the opposing team still only needs to get the ball once to have a chance to tie.

If this isn't obvious, i don't know what to tell you .

Last edited by FromPittWithLove on Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:17 pm 
Exactly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:19 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
tunch wrote:
The Steelers were inches from losing because Tomlin went for one.

"Two score lead" is the dumbest meme in football. It's Tomlin-think. It's Phil Simms-tier thinking.

Steelers may have lost had Tomlin gone for two in that spot.

Dumbest meme in football, eh? One score lead can be overcome in a single possession. Two-score lead takes two possessions to make up Explain what's so dumb about that?

Because the average 2pt conversion rate is 48%.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:20 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
tunch wrote:
The Steelers were inches from losing because Tomlin went for one.

"Two score lead" is the dumbest meme in football. It's Tomlin-think. It's Phil Simms-tier thinking.

Steelers may have lost had Tomlin gone for two in that spot.

Dumbest meme in football, eh? One score lead can be overcome in a single possession. Two-score lead takes two possessions to make up Explain what's so dumb about that?

The thing that is hilarious about this argument is that people wanted Tomlin to go for 2 because it makes it a MORE SECURE TWO SCORE lead. tunch is basically arguing tomlin almost lost the game because he didn't value a "true" two score lead enough.

I guess tunch is Phil Simms?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:23 pm 

FromPittWithLove wrote:
tunch wrote:
FromPittWithLove wrote:
Swiss, someone even had the audacity to tell me that an 8 point lead is just as good as a 1.5 score lead as evidence for why we should go for 2. Bewildering.

You didn't (or can't) explain why that line of reasoning is wrong.

Here's a crazy thought, when you are up by 9, the two point conversion following a TD doesn't tie the game.

How's that for a reason? I don't know about you, but I like to know that my opponent has to possess the ball AT LEAST twice, rather than once, to tie or take the lead. Even if you consider the 2 point conversion a 50/50 proposition, the opposing team still only needs to get the ball once to have a chance to tie.

If this isn't obvious, i don't know what to tell you .

Downside.

When you're up 8, your opponent flips a coin to...... tie the game. Everything then plays out different.

Up nine, like we all just watched, you lose to TD + FG.

Up ten, we go to OT.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:33 pm 

You are aware that up 8, the other team can also score a TD and a FG right? If we stop the two point conversion, then they could still win on a FG like we just saw.

Rather than give the chiefs two separate paths to extend/win the game, I'd prefer to give them just one. Put another way, if the chiefs are going to get two more possessions I would much rather have to have them score on both of them than just one.

Last edited by FromPittWithLove on Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:36 pm 

FromPittWithLove wrote:
You are aware that up 8, the other team can also score a TD and a FG right? If we stop the two point conversion, then they could still win on a FG like we just saw.

Rather than give the chiefs two separate paths to extend/win the game, I'd prefer to give them just one.

Seems like Tomlin chooses a different line there.

Last edited by tunch on Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:36 pm 

FromPittWithLove wrote:

Rather than give the chiefs two separate paths to extend/win the game, I'd prefer to give them just one.

I don't know. It also changes ho you end up calling offense. Maybe you are aggressive if the game gets tied. Either is possibly defensible. The punt...that wasn't defensible.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:37 pm 

tunch wrote:
FromPittWithLove wrote:

What coach kicks a PAT there?

read my comment - if you stop the 2 point conversion, the other team can still win on a fg on a follow up possession

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:38 pm 

I think we can safely that there's not a single coach in the NFL, probably never was one, that would go for two, up 8 points, 3 minutes and change remaining.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next