It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Going for two. Yinz serious?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:19 pm 

There were also people here pining for the 2 point conversion at 8-3. Though defensible, I'm of the opinion you don't chase points early and thought the 1XP was the right call.

But what is aggravating to me, is I wonder if these are the same people that don't want Tomlin chasing points when the score is say, 6-0, and they go for 2.

Seems to be inconsistent demands from Head Coaching strategy. 1 week it's criticism for going for 2 early. The next week it's criticism for not.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:22 pm 

Two topics:
1. You get the 1 point, take the 2 score lead in the easiest way possible.

2. I punt. The fact that the punt stunk is irrelevant. A missed or blocked field goal gives them a short field. Try to pin em and play D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:26 pm 

Miter Saw wrote:
There were also people here pining for the 2 point conversion at 8-3. Though defensible, I'm of the opinion you don't chase points early and thought the 1XP was the right call.

But what is aggravating to me, is I wonder if these are the same people that don't want Tomlin chasing points when the score is say, 6-0, and they go for 2.

Seems to be inconsistent demands from Head Coaching strategy. 1 week it's criticism for going for 2 early. The next week it's criticism for not.

I am hoping that the decision not to go for 2 early in the game, when it did make some sense, means Tomlin is giving up the 2-point experiment. We seem to have lost our touch for it, and as a fan I'd rather enjoy the TD moment than then have to worry about whether we make the 2-pointer.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:28 pm 

I think many are arguing they should have went for it rather than try the long FG. You go for it and fail all it cost you was like 15 yards. Convert and it’s likely game over.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:44 pm 

DocSteel wrote:
Two topics:

2. I punt. The fact that the punt stunk is irrelevant. A missed or blocked field goal gives them a short field. Try to pin em and play D

The decision was to punt or go for it, not try a FG.

And from the 36, the ball is getting into the EZ on a punt more times than not.

So that means more often than not, the difference in FP is 15 yards. In today's NFL, you get that much in one play more often than not.

So go for it because you're likely not pinning the Chiefs deep.

On the other side of the 50, I'm going for it on fourth and short more often than not.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:11 pm 

I thought that the Steelers should have gone forward on fourth and two Raven pond as well. For the record though the yardage differential was 26 yards not 16, as the Chiefs were penalized on the return and start it out on their own 10. Of course they moved right down the field put it in the end zone. I, as well, think that without the ab touchdown we lose that game. Had that passed been incomplete we are putting it back to the Chiefs and holding only a two point lead… Fg beats us

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:34 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
DocSteel wrote:
Two topics:

The decision was to punt or go for it, not try a FG.

And from the 36, the ball is getting into the EZ on a punt more times than not.

So that means more often than not, the difference in FP is 15 yards. In today's NFL, you get that much in one play more often than not.

So go for it because you're likely not pinning the Chiefs deep.

On the other side of the 50, I'm going for it on fourth and short more often than not.

The other thing with going for it in a spot like that is that you can have your offense be looser with holding, setting picks, and pushing off.

Dare the refs to throw a flag on 4th down. It's not a disaster if they do; your punter now has more room.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:35 pm 

I had a nice long post, then I just decided to go with:
Belicheat has a rocket scientist and one of the best GL offenses in the league - and he doesn't chase the points.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:39 pm 

Zeke5123 wrote:
I agree on the PAT. Hated the punt though.

100%

And any of the other 2 options I was fine with.