It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: #1 against the pass?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:18 am 

RemoAZ wrote:
They are better there for sure but they couldn't get much worse. It still doesn't make the run defense any better. They've been pounded by the run and I don't trust this defense against anyone. Hopefully they continue to improve but the offense simply has to score more touchdowns. If we leave the game in the hands of the defense, we're going nowhere. I still haven't been able to wipe that winning drive by the Cowboys last year from my memory. We've looked that bad against the run in a few games this season.

They just played the #1 Rush offense on the road-- how did they look?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:26 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

KC had a lot of guys hurt, but usually that doesn't mean you fall off a cliff...and they were dominated worse than that.

Defense is good. Getting turnovers and making key stops. But no defense in today's NFL is going to slow down top offenses much. That's why to be a contender they have to get the offense in gear. Even if Andy Reid is Tomlin's Tomlin, I wouldn't want to play KC again scoring only 19.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:29 am 

Kodiak wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

KC had a lot of guys hurt, but usually that doesn't mean you fall off a cliff...and they were dominated worse than that.

Defense is good. Getting turnovers and making key stops. But no defense in today's NFL is going to slow down top offenses much. That's why to be a contender they have to get the offense in gear. Even if Andy Reid is Tomlin's Tomlin, I wouldn't want to play KC again scoring only 19.

KC had basically the same Center they've had for weeks. They swapped out at guard two weeks. ago. It's not like they had a revamped OL for this game.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:18 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
KC had basically the same Center they've had for weeks. They swapped out at guard two weeks. ago. It's not like they had a revamped OL for this game.

True.

I'm still hoping Wilcox can be an upgrade over Mitchell. We need Davis to improve, as well. I fear Mitchell and Davis will be exposed against better passing teams (yeah, I realize Alex Smith was the hottest QB in the league....he's still Alex Smith).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:15 pm 

Mitchell and Davis played pretty damn well this week. Shockingly well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:21 pm 

Steel Reign wrote:
sgtrobo wrote:
I hate to be "that guy", but...

rookie DeShone Kizer
backup Case Keenum
backup Mike Glennon
Joe Flacco
Blake Bortles

not exactly a murderer's row of talent there. That said, we rebounded magnificently and shut down a red hot team offensively.

I see this argument a lot when our D has success and the argument definitely has a degree of merit. That being said, and I know many may disagree, but that group represents about 90% of the QBs in the NFL. The elite NFL QB (consistently elite, not just a flash in the pan year or two) is a limited breed these days. If everyone in the league is also playing 90% shit QBs too than its a reasonably even measuring stick for all. If there is a team out there only playing the top 5 elite QBs every week of the 16 week season than, yeah, they should get some extra consideration.

2000 Ravens faced a line up of QBs so bad it was almost comical.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:21 pm 

I thought I read somewhere that Wilcox had only one snap. Is that correct?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:26 pm 

steelclan wrote:
Steel Reign wrote:
sgtrobo wrote:
I hate to be "that guy", but...

rookie DeShone Kizer
backup Case Keenum
backup Mike Glennon
Joe Flacco
Blake Bortles

not exactly a murderer's row of talent there. That said, we rebounded magnificently and shut down a red hot team offensively.

I see this argument a lot when our D has success and the argument definitely has a degree of merit. That being said, and I know many may disagree, but that group represents about 90% of the QBs in the NFL. The elite NFL QB (consistently elite, not just a flash in the pan year or two) is a limited breed these days. If everyone in the league is also playing 90% shit QBs too than its a reasonably even measuring stick for all. If there is a team out there only playing the top 5 elite QBs every week of the 16 week season than, yeah, they should get some extra consideration.

2000 Ravens faced a line up of QBs so bad it was almost comical.

Might just be the rule rather than the exception. I doubt that there are any defenses facing the likes of Brady and Rogers every other week. I'd venture that most gaudy defensive stats are built off the backs of JAG or worse QBs.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:35 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
Might just be the rule rather than the exception. I doubt that there are any defenses facing the likes of Brady and Rogers every other week. I'd venture that most gaudy defensive stats are built off the backs of JAG or worse QBs.

Yeah, most years it's a stretch to identify 10 "good" QB's. Might be more that occasionally have a good year, like the Alex Smith's of the world, but still not guys you fear.

This year, as of right now, you otherwise have Brady, Rodgers, Brees....maybe Carr, maybe Prescott (still TBD, in my book). No one else is exactly lighting it up.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:47 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:

Yeah, most years it's a stretch to identify 10 "good" QB's. Might be more that occasionally have a good year, like the Alex Smith's of the world, but still not guys you fear.

This year, as of right now, you otherwise have Brady, Rodgers, Brees....maybe Carr, maybe Prescott (still TBD, in my book). No one else is exactly lighting it up.

I notice you did not include Ben on your list.

:P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next