It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: How bout that brilliant clock management by Tomlin!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:45 pm 
Zeke5123 wrote:
SteelerChef wrote:
Zeke5123 wrote:

BS. The key there is get a first at all costs. Burning time there isn't doing anything to really stop the other team. It only limits your ability to respond. First down was all that mattered. Massive fuck up.


Wrong


Insightful.


Generally when people post things that are obviously so far off the rails they are either logic challenged in the 1st place or locked in on defending their wrong stance.

Not my job to educate those who are out to sea


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: How bout that brilliant clock management by Tomlin!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:54 pm
Posts: 2221
SP wrote:
I hated the punt 4th and 2 from the 35 yard line late in the game. Why not go for the dagger instead of a punt that nets you 15 yards of field position.


Also, if you knew you were going for it on fourth, changes your play calling on fourth.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How bout that brilliant clock management by Tomlin!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:20 am
Posts: 5410
I'd assume the thought process at that point ...
Getting the ball back with 2:16 to play was to try and eat clock.....
And that out weighed the riskiness of passing to get a first.

I reality. We ate 16 seconds before the punt.

Handed ball back to KC on their own 44 after a nice punt return.
With an offense that was moving the ball.
1:42. On the clock.
A time out in hand.
And needing about 20-25 yards to get in FG range.

I'm thinking most on this board was in...
"Is this really happening mode"

Same spot.... Down the road.
Play to win.
And not to lose.

_________________
"Tomlin doubled down on dumb" JackSplat58


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How bout that brilliant clock management by Tomlin!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:20 am
Posts: 5410
SP wrote:
I hated the punt 4th and 2 from the 35 yard line late in the game. Why not go for the dagger instead of a punt that nets you 15 yards of field position.

That was playing it safe.
Playing not to lose.
Still Want to play it safe. Well then Run it twice.

_________________
"Tomlin doubled down on dumb" JackSplat58


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How bout that brilliant clock management by Tomlin!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:54 pm
Posts: 2221
SteelerChef wrote:

Generally when people post things that are obviously so far off the rails they are either logic challenged in the 1st place or locked in on defending their wrong stance.

Not my job to educate those who are out to sea


Haha. I love that your first paragraph describes yourself to a tee.

Let me ask you a simple question. Give the ball to Ben twice on 2nd and six. How often do you think he picks up the first? Likely 60% of the time? What if the defense is playing the run? Maybe 75% of the time. A first on 2nd and six largely ends the game. Two minutes as an eternity for an NFL offense.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How bout that brilliant clock management by Tomlin!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 7291
Stosh-67 wrote:
I'd assume the thought process at that point ...
Getting the ball back with 2:16 to play was to try and eat clock.....
And that out weighed the riskiness of passing to get a first.

I reality. We ate 16 seconds before the punt.

Handed ball back to KC on their own 44 after a nice punt return.
With an offense that was moving the ball.
1:42. On the clock.
A time out in hand.
And needing about 20-25 yards to get in FG range.

I'm thinking most on this board was in...
"Is this really happening mode"

Same spot.... Down the road.
Play to win.
And not to lose.


FG range didn't really matter there, Stosh.

Agreed though....priority has to be getting the first down....if we pick up the first down on a 3rd down play, KC at most would end with about 40 seconds left to travel length of field for TD. Was a little reminiscent of 3rd & fuckin' 6 vs. Jax in 07 playoffs. Although, to be fair, we had rushed for about 30 yards total in that game,and Ben was throwing the ball all over the lot in the 2nd half. Benefit of doubt....we were running so well...nah, we had 2nd & 12, right? Gotta throw in that spot.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How bout that brilliant clock management by Tomlin!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:54 pm
Posts: 2221
swissvale72 wrote:
Stosh-67 wrote:
I'd assume the thought process at that point ...
Getting the ball back with 2:16 to play was to try and eat clock.....
And that out weighed the riskiness of passing to get a first.

I reality. We ate 16 seconds before the punt.

Handed ball back to KC on their own 44 after a nice punt return.
With an offense that was moving the ball.
1:42. On the clock.
A time out in hand.
And needing about 20-25 yards to get in FG range.

I'm thinking most on this board was in...
"Is this really happening mode"

Same spot.... Down the road.
Play to win.
And not to lose.


FG range didn't really matter there, Stosh.

Agreed though....priority has to be getting the first down....if we pick up the first down on a 3rd down play, KC at most would end with about 40 seconds left to travel length of field for TD. Was a little reminiscent of 3rd & fuckin' 6 vs. Jax in 07 playoffs. Although, to be fair, we had rushed for about 30 yards total in that game,and Ben was throwing the ball all over the lot in the 2nd half. Benefit of doubt....we were running so well...nah, we had 2nd & 12, right? Gotta throw in that spot.


Also, saves yourself time if you don't pick up the first in case KC scored. If KC doesn't score, you'd still be able to run out the clock. KC wasn't going to run out of time before downs.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How bout that brilliant clock management by Tomlin!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:59 pm 
I would seriously go Buddy Ryan on most of you if you were the OC on my team.....lol


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: How bout that brilliant clock management by Tomlin!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:51 pm
Posts: 1221
SP wrote:
I hated the punt 4th and 2 from the 35 yard line late in the game. Why not go for the dagger instead of a punt that nets you 15 yards of field position.


Agree. A complete pussy call there. I wasn't able to really start paying attention until the 4th quarter at work. I really thought that call would come back to bite them. I have zero confidence putting the game in the hands of this defense, especially with the big gains they've given up on the ground.

_________________
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied by asking, “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How bout that brilliant clock management by Tomlin!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:54 pm
Posts: 2221
SteelerChef wrote:
I would seriously go Buddy Ryan on most of you if you were the OC on my team.....lol


Can your fat ass even throw a punch without falling over? Haha.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How bout that brilliant clock management by Tomlin!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 23263
SteelerChef wrote:
Right before 2 min warning Steelers wisely run on 1st and 2nd to make chefs burn 2 timeouts. Facing 3rd and long Steelers pass realizing the clock stops after the play regardless. Brilliant chess moves by Tomlin

And Ben

Fuck Haley tho....lol

8-) :lol:


The first down, not time off the clock, was more important there.

A first down, and the Chiefs never get the ball back.

_________________
“A set of several simple rules leads to complex, intelligent behavior. While a set of complex rules often leads to dumb and primitive behavior.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How bout that brilliant clock management by Tomlin!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:45 pm 
SteelerChef wrote:
I would seriously go Buddy Ryan on most of you if you were the OC on my team.....lol


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: How bout that brilliant clock management by Tomlin!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16284
Zeke5123 wrote:
SP wrote:
I hated the punt 4th and 2 from the 35 yard line late in the game. Why not go for the dagger instead of a punt that nets you 15 yards of field position.


Also, if you knew you were going for it on fourth, changes your play calling on fourth.

Not with Todd Haley calling plays, it doesn't!

_________________
Suwanee88 wrote:
But it’s your fault that you are kind of a stubborn jagoff that would argue with a fence post


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How bout that brilliant clock management by Tomlin!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:07 am
Posts: 8350
We got real conservative late yesterday a few times where we shouldn't have

That said a good gut check win :)

Tomlin out gutted by Andy though. [we do what we do]

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ays-to-do/

_________________
ImageImage
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How bout that brilliant clock management by Tomlin!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:40 am
Posts: 1657
SteelerChef wrote:
Right before 2 min warning Steelers wisely run on 1st and 2nd to make chefs burn 2 timeouts. Facing 3rd and long Steelers pass realizing the clock stops after the play regardless. Brilliant chess moves by Tomlin

And Ben

Fuck Haley tho....lol

8-) :lol:



Wait, so now Tomlin does have a say in the offensive play calling? Because I thought he was an innocent bystander when it came to things such as this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How bout that brilliant clock management by Tomlin!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 5494
SteelerChef wrote:
Right before 2 min warning Steelers wisely run on 1st and 2nd to make chefs burn 2 timeouts. Facing 3rd and long Steelers pass realizing the clock stops after the play regardless. Brilliant chess moves by Tomlin

And Ben

Fuck Haley tho....lol

8-) :lol:


Your trolling isn't even subtle anymore.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How bout that brilliant clock management by Tomlin!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 5494
I think the steelers lose if that ball to AB was knocked down for an incomplete pass. KC would have taken the ball back and won the game. Tomlin and Haley make Cowher look like Mike Leach.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How bout that brilliant clock management by Tomlin!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 23263
R S wrote:
SteelerChef wrote:
Right before 2 min warning Steelers wisely run on 1st and 2nd to make chefs burn 2 timeouts. Facing 3rd and long Steelers pass realizing the clock stops after the play regardless. Brilliant chess moves by Tomlin

And Ben

Fuck Haley tho....lol

8-) :lol:


Your trolling isn't even subtle anymore.


Not only that...he was WRONG.

Getting one first down was MORE IMPORTANT than bleeding clock at that point.

When KC got the ball back, they had plenty of time and one timeout to get the ball into the end zone.

They didn't lose because they ran out of time- they lost because they ran out of downs.

Get a first down- and KC never gets the ball back...or does so with so little time left that it doesn't matter.

Teams can't win if they don't have the ball.

By running those two run plays, Tomlin was telling everyone he trusted the defense to get the stop more than he trusted the offense to pick up the first down. In doing so, he gave KC a chance when he could have denied them any chance.

_________________
“A set of several simple rules leads to complex, intelligent behavior. While a set of complex rules often leads to dumb and primitive behavior.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How bout that brilliant clock management by Tomlin!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:41 pm
Posts: 975
Quote:
brilliant clock management by Tomlin!

SteelerChef wrote:
Generally when people post things that are obviously so far off the rails...

...or when they try to divert attention to what is at best an anomaly in an attempt to pass it off as the norm...

SteelerChef wrote:
they are either logic challenged in the 1st place or locked in on defending their wrong stance.

Not my job to educate those who are out to sea

_________________
http://steelerfury.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=365&p=14295#p14295


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How bout that brilliant clock management by Tomlin!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:32 am 
SteelerChef wrote:
SteelerChef wrote:
I would seriously go Buddy Ryan on most of you if you were the OC on my team.....lol


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: How bout that brilliant clock management by Tomlin!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:33 am 
Jeemie wrote:
R S wrote:
SteelerChef wrote:
Right before 2 min warning Steelers wisely run on 1st and 2nd to make chefs burn 2 timeouts. Facing 3rd and long Steelers pass realizing the clock stops after the play regardless. Brilliant chess moves by Tomlin

And Ben

Fuck Haley tho....lol

8-) :lol:


Your trolling isn't even subtle anymore.


Not only that...he was WRONG.

Getting one first down was MORE IMPORTANT than bleeding clock at that point.

When KC got the ball back, they had plenty of time and one timeout to get the ball into the end zone.

They didn't lose because they ran out of time- they lost because they ran out of downs.

Get a first down- and KC never gets the ball back...or does so with so little time left that it doesn't matter.

Teams can't win if they don't have the ball.

By running those two run plays, Tomlin was telling everyone he trusted the defense to get the stop more than he trusted the offense to pick up the first down. In doing so, he gave KC a chance when he could have denied them any chance.


Total bullshit


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: How bout that brilliant clock management by Tomlin!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:34 am 
SteelerChef wrote:
SteelerChef wrote:
I would seriously go Buddy Ryan on most of you if you were the OC on my team.....lol


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: How bout that brilliant clock management by Tomlin!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:48 pm
Posts: 1451
SP wrote:
I hated the punt 4th and 2 from the 35 yard line late in the game. Why not go for the dagger instead of a punt that nets you 15 yards of field position.

That was my biggest gripe with Tomlin in the game. I said it out loud while it was happening...the risk/reward is there, when all you'll most likely gain is 15 yards of field position. Hell, Bell had been running all over them all game. Close the deal...don't live in your fears!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How bout that brilliant clock management by Tomlin!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:40 am
Posts: 1657
I will give Tomlin credit for this though.. when he challenged the field position on that punt, he was living by his mantra of fighting for every blade of grass.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How bout that brilliant clock management by Tomlin!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:48 pm
Posts: 1451
the-other-burg wrote:
I will give Tomlin credit for this though.. when he challenged the field position on that punt, he was living by his mantra of fighting for every blade of grass.

Said the same thing as they showed the replay. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Almighty Slacker, BarryFoster, Google [Bot] and 25 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group