It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Romo
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:00 pm 

I thought he did a VERY good job yesterday, giving credit where credit was due. His perception of the game is better than all the other former players (ie. Simms, Fouts) who played the game with different rules if you think about it. In certain situations he would just tell you right away what he thought the following play was going to be and why it worked, or did not. To me, I thought the best part of his broadcast was situational football (ie. when KC ran the ball on 3rd and 2 just at FG range and said you don't run on 3rd and 2 here and not go for it on 4th, said AB was to blame for Ben's INT). I think he was also very bi-partial throughout the game. I'm not a fan of most of the announcers out there but I might be able to deal with him, unfortunately he's with Nantz. Figure we have a game of the week on CBS again this year. What did you guys think?

Post subject: Re: Romo
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:08 pm 

Have to say I found him refreshing. He didn't come loaded with typical cliches, made mistakes but corrected them with humor and overall was entertaining and insightful.

I'm a sucker for good TV/Radio commentary analysis and Romo is best voice in TV I've heard in a long time. I hate to admit but I'm also a big fan of Cowboy's radio commentary team and think they're gold standard. If anyone can stand listening to Cowboys game you should radio guys are that good.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:08 pm 

I've watched a few games with Romo and I honestly like him as an analyst. He actually sounds like he enjoys what he's doing. This applies to John Gruden as well.

The problem I have with Fouts (for example) is he comes across as a pompous douche who uses hindsight to act like the smartest guy in the room. Romo is calling things as they happen, and when he's wrong, he'll admit it and laugh it off.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:14 pm 

I can understand why he's been successful as a football player, team mate, and whatever else he is. He's a smart, honest, affable, guy, sounds like.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:34 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
I can understand why he's been successful as a football player, team mate, and whatever else he is. He's a smart, honest, affable, guy, sounds like.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:40 pm 

I think I can speak for anyone with even a bit of intelligence- I would rather have Romo calling a game over Troy Aikman any day.

As far as from a CBS standpoint, he balances Nance in a way that makes Jim seem like he's there to just make the calls and not to offer some opinion no one wants to hear.

I do think that the calling the play before it happens can get old down the line.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:42 pm 

Hes the best announcer out there bar none...collinsworth is next on the list...I don't really care for anyone else

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:56 pm 

There was a point in the broadcast that I absolutely loved last night. I'll go back and figure out when it was but the teams were lined up and neither announcer spoke for at least 20 seconds. It was so refreshing to not hear some idiot try to fill the silence with bullshit. I also really like Romo as a color man. He is really good.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:59 pm 

Baltostiller wrote:
There was a point in the broadcast that I absolutely loved last night. I'll go back and figure out when it was but the teams were lined up and neither announcer spoke for at least 20 seconds. It was so refreshing to not hear some idiot try to fill the silence with bullshit. I also really like Romo as a color man. He is really good.

My favorite was his reaction to AB' play: spontaneous and just like a fan of game would react.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:09 pm 

Gets genuinely excited when big plays happen. Can't fake that sort of thing.