It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hargrave
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:46 am 

Saw an article about how under utilized Hargrave is right now. It stated he had only 21 of the 59 defensive snaps against the Chiefs. If true, why. The kid is disruptive in the middle of the D and needs to be used more, particularly on 3rd downs. Was his snap count reflective of being used on more 3rd downs perhaps?

Post subject: Re: Hargrave
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:08 am 

alancac98 wrote:
Saw an article about how under utilized Hargrave is right now. It stated he had only 21 of the 59 defensive snaps against the Chiefs. If true, why. The kid is disruptive in the middle of the D and needs to be used more, particularly on 3rd downs. Was his snap count reflective of being used on more 3rd downs perhaps?

He comes out in the nickel, right?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:26 pm 

I read somewhere a while back that his conditioning wasn’t good enough to be a three down player.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:37 pm 

Tuitt apparently out vs Bungs, so we're gonna need a big week from Gravedigger and the rest of the DL depth. Next man up!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:09 pm 

Ice wrote:
Tuitt apparently out vs Bungs, so we're gonna need a big week from Gravedigger and the rest of the DL depth. Next man up!

You mean this Gravedigger?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:14 pm 

Ice wrote:

Hargrave will bearely see the field unless they relent and play him some in nickel. Bengals have been running 3WR as a base and running from that formation.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:59 am 

I know everybody seems to be in love with OLBs, edge rushers, but man, for me there is nothing like inside pressure. You look at Brady, name any QB really, if you have a strong interior pass rusher that can prevent them from just settling in the pocket, that is huge. With outside pass rusher a QB can step up in the pocket and deliver the football with ease.

But to have Hargrave applying interior pressure, forcing that QB to move out of the pocket? I have to believe that the vast majority of QBs see their accuracy and timing decline when they are forced out of the pocket, when they have to throw on the run. There are only so many Rodgers or Big Bens that can make it look easy, most struggle with it.

I just think it is a shame that we have a player that I truly think can be an Aaron Donald/Geno Atkins type of interior pass rusher and we have coaches that don't know what to do with him, or how to mold/shape the defense to take advantage of his talent. I can't help but feel that a Wade Phillips would know what to do with Hargrave, that he would be a double digit sack artist in his type of defense.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:43 am 

I agree with you Scunge. I think Hargrave offers something this defense thrives on. Inside pressure. When Hargraves is in the game the run efficiency of the opposing offense seems to be stifled. With Tuitt out today I expect Alualu/Walton to see a lot of those snaps. Hargrave is explosive and requires double blocked. That leaves holes in the opposing Oline. With the secondary playing pretty damn good so far I think Hargrave will wreak havoc on Dalton & co. Play Hargrave and Deebo today Please! I loved last weeks game plan of alternating the OLB's all game long. Made them that much more effective IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:18 am 

I think they're gonna try to run Mixon quite a bit, especially to Tuitt's side now.

I also think this is the key to the game today, whether or not Cinci can run the ball effectively.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:50 am 

I agree on inside pressure, Scunge. Get Hargrave on the field more and let him blow shit up. Disrupt the interior of the offense. Get up into the qb's grill. I prefer it over pressure from the side.

I have always liked Wade Phillips as a DC.

Last edited by Havoc on Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.