It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bryant demoted to scout team
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:47 am 

First team D is probably not going 100% but good to work on the tree as b2b says plus no reports of drops.

Plus tomlin seems to have gotten through to him that he can’t complain his way to a bigger role. He needs to earn it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:49 am 

Then again..........He may put in a great two days of practice.
Hear team mates say great things about him.

And then have another momentary lapse of mental coordination and fall back into his thought process of,
"I told you I am better than JuJu or Rogers and what I did the last 2 days is why I should be getting more balls"

I am really pulling for this kid for a few reasons.

1. Getting him back to being the weapon he was and could be, takes this offense into 30-35+ point a game capability.
2. Its a long season, and an injury to AB or JuJU puts Rogers, Hunter and DHB into the spotlight if MB is not righted.
3. I hate seeing such promising athletes, especially players on my teams, waste away the golden ticket they were born with.
4. We have other draft needs, yes we draft a WR every year, but we need to draft other spots early in the next draft.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:57 am 

Orangesteel wrote:
Awesome! Just when our team is hitting a stride the number 2 WR acts like a bitch and now rides the pine.

This fucking team is like the football equivalent of Real Housewives (don’t ask, my wife watches).

It doesn't effect the team, they are getting better on the field and he hasn't been contributing much. Whatever you do, don't cut him! Because since Belechik is smarter than every Rooney that ever lived, COMBINED, he'll sign him and then he'll go for 10-275-3 in the playoffs and beat us! LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:57 am 

He needs to get better at the simple routes.

7-8 yard out. 8-10 yard curl. 6-8 yard slant

He and Ben should complete 2, 3- 4 of these a game.
They should be easy pitch and catch completions.
But.

Not sexy routes. But these are the routes that will get his head back into the game. Keep him focused and in the flow of the game.
He really needs to make it look like he is going deep. Selling deep.
Work on his footwork. Number of steps. Coming back to the ball.
Work on double moves.
Follow and watch AB. The same for Hines Ward if he is around.

Getting better at these simple routes will make his long routes easier and create more separation.
Not to mention drawing some PI calls as he eventually gets more CBs biting on his short routes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:51 am 

I think it was herm Edward last night who pointed out that Bryant is third on the list of targets behind Brown and Bell. he uses a scenario where the most the steelers will throw the ball is like 30 times with Bell and Brown targeted at least 9 times and that should give MB about 6 targets.
with 4 more going to the TE and 4 goin to JUJU
He did say there no way they are taking targets away from either Brown or Bell so first he has to make most of his targets and keep ahead of a hard charging JUJU. But he stated that Bryant needs to keep away from social media and address Tomlin and Ben

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:24 am 

It's not the targets, it's how they use the personnel. Fits nicely in boxes and pigeon holes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:30 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Quote:
In the highest intensity competition that Bryant will get for at least the next week, he connected against the No. 1 passing defense in the NFL on most every route a receiver can run.

Haden noted his digs. Dobbs rattled them all off.

"I mean he made plays on go balls, big ins, slants, every -- when the ball was thrown his way he was making a play on them," he said.

I'm telling you-- Bryant hasn't been given the chance to run the whole tree because our offensive plan is idiotically banal. This practice squad thing is going to showcase him if he works hard at it.

Yes, the offense has been largely idiotically banal this season.

Bryant lacks ball tracking ability when the football spends a lot of time in the air. His hands are suspect too. You don't give a guy like that fewer opportunities if you are really trying to make him a significant part of the offense. You give him more.

Giving a player like Bryant few opportunities is a recipe for killing confidence. If he believes in his abilities, he should be frustrated. And that's a good thing, means he has fight in him. Means he believes in himself. He needs to learn to channel it in a positive direction and how to voice his frustration to the appropriate people behind closed doors.

Having said all that...

The Alien version blew past defenders on deep routes. I wonder if he is not carrying the extra weight well. Seems a little stiffer in his movements. He seems bothered by defenders breathing down his neck on the deep verticals.

It does appear to me though, he looks more comfortable catching the football in traffic on short and intermediate routes. Seems the added bulk has helped him there.

I don't know how he will be used or what we will get out of him the rest of the season. I'm not going to write him off yet though.

I like your thought processes on this, b2b. Even in the midst of the demotion, there is opportunity. Bryant needs to seize it.

Last edited by Havoc on Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:33 am 

I have my issues with Tomlin as a coach like many poasters, but this Bryant situation seems like something he is as equipped to fix as any coach. Remember too that he was a WR in his playing days.

I won't be the least bit surprised if we see a humbled, productive Martavis moving forward for the 2017 campaign. Whether the kid can ever overcome his demons long-term who knows but I think this can get fixed for 2017.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:05 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
It's not the targets, it's how they use the personnel.

How we use the passing game is much more important than how often.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:17 am 

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/10/25/deion-sanders-has-some-advice-for-martavis-bryant-baby-youre-an-accessory-youre-not-the-suit/

Deion chimes in on the MB situation

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next