It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: OT: Fighting Back - The Rocky Bleier Story
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:58 am 

OK, I watched....at this age, wish I would have read the book. But still very enjoyable with respect to nostalgia. Could probably be a huge re-make today (side note - holy crap I cannot believe how bad the tv picture was 35 years ago).

And really appreciate some of the other moments people shared.

I was too young to enjoy the 70's Steelers. Not really even sure when I "woke" to Steeler football. I DO seem to remember Louis Lipps as a rookie, I think...which was 1984. Shame - 1 or 2 years after most of the greats left or retired. I remember Lipps vividly (relatively speaking), but not Stallworth (who, ironically, had easily his biggest year as a pro in 1984, and played for 3 more years....1400 yards back in 1984, you'd think I'd remember that). I would have bet money Stallworth retired in '82, because I can't remember watching him play.

Yes, somewhere between 1983-85 I lost interest in mobiles and pacifiers and started paying attention to pro sports. I saw this made-for-tv movie 4-5 years after it first aired and I probably cried for the first time.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:40 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
I met Rocky at some random appearance he made a one of those banks he used to shill for. I was the only person there to see him, which was kind of sad. Regardless, I shook his hand (enormous hand that it was) and told him that his team brought a lot of joy and madness to my life. He was very polite and nice-- not the most interesting/engaging-- I'm glad that his place in football/Steelers history is enduring.

Too funny - I met him at a bank too. I was just a kid. My mom took me to football practice and she had to run by the bank and she came back out to the car and told me - so I went in with my gear on to meet him - he loved that!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:00 am 

That's great Suwannee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:37 pm 

I just watched that whole crappy video. Thanks for sharing! Good memories and still a good movie. Hadn't seen it in many years.

Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied by asking, “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”