It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Why cant we have a good defense and STILL try for 30?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:32 pm 

Well this is fun

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:36 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Smashmouth21 wrote:
Yet another Kodiak fail. I never made any excuses for the offense's underperformance. Now I don't have time to tutor you in reading comprehension so please move on to your next 5-star rant. Thanks.

Umm, you sure as hell did because you're defending Haley like he's you buddy or your husband. You're defending the underperformance without making excuses for it......rrrrrriiiiiiiigggggghhhhtttttttt......

Still waiting for all these misquotes you claim I made. Like I said, take your bullshit and shove it back up where it came out of.

Again you have yet to show even once where I defended Haley. You can't because I didn't. You're the one stroking yourself while you go on and on about Todd. Not me.

And way to hang onto semantics like some kind of loser merit badge. I can see you telling yourself: "Well I used the actual quote first so the fact that literally everything I said after that and attributed to others was dead wrong doesn't matter. I didn't technically misquote anyone just completely mischaracterized their position. So that's not the same!" What a fucktard.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:38 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
Well this is fun

You're right. Sorry. Letting the stupid get to me. I'll be the bigger person.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:54 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
VanWilder wrote:
Can someone please quote our O vs D rankings in '08?

How about '05?

And anything before would be welcome.

2017. 5-2
2010. 5-1
2008. 21-1
2005. 8-3
2004. 8-3

'79. 1-5

'78 our QB led the league in TD throws and was voted league MVP

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:05 pm 

NE Patriots 2011 season thru last season...

SB
AFCCG
AFCCG
SB
AFCCG
SB

Points per game...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:12 pm 

Havoc wrote:

SB
AFCCG
AFCCG
SB
AFCCG
SB

Points per game...

But but but, we are a better team if we score 20 and play good defense.

Nonsense.

It’s not the running that limits our scoring. It’s the purposeful intent to limit opportunities by prioritizing other things that limits our scoring. It’s the 3rd & 9 runs in the red zone and settling for a FG rather than trying for the first. Or the times we are down close yet don’t even attempt a pass into the EZ.

We fiddle fart around far too often which limits opportunities.

Scoring points wins games. Not able to score points loses games.

Being multifaceted on offense increases your chances at scoring more points.

This is all magnified in the postseason.

The league is geared toward offenses and scoring. We’ve see too many times what happens when our run game is used to the point of becoming a crutch and some team comes along and shuts it down.

Rinse repeat.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:59 pm 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:
Good is the enemy of great.

Perfect is the enemy of great.

30 points a game is the enemy of great football.

With a great defense; score first, score twice and employ the blockade and starve them out. I am happy with it.

I enjoy the run game so much more than the passing game with Bell and Bettis. 30 points a game is too much. It takes the team too far away from what they are trying to execute. I think if you have a set of principles on offense you would never have score 30 or score every drive as a principle.

If you are running a professional football team, the offense would be something you can execute weekly, something that is repeatable, something that is controllable, and something that looks like the previous week in which you can employ improvement methodology.

I don’t get how you practice scoring 30. I get practicing red zone, practicing 2 minute offense, practicing situations. You can’t practice scoring 30. You can also practice eating the clock, 3rd down conversions, QB sneaks, middle of the field plays, staying in bounds, audibles and snapping with 1-2 seconds left on the play clock. You can practice 5 minute drives to end the 2nd half and 5 minute drives to end the 4th qtr.

Scoring 30 is more luck than good.

Great defense, score twice, Go conservative and eat the clock. There is more control what you can control in that mentality than in focusing on scoring 30.

1. There is no reason the passing game cannot be as repeatable as the running game.

2. Modern NFL makes comebacks to easy. You help a defense more by making sure they play with a lead.

3. Being willing to attack and put pressure on safeties (not just deep throws down the sidelines) helps the running game. The conservative gameplan the coach want to execute is actually counter productive in that it allows safeties to attack downhill.

This post is one of those that sounds well-reasoned on the surface, but when you peel back the logical underpinnings it quickly falls apart.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:50 pm 

Havoc wrote:

SB
AFCCG
AFCCG
SB
AFCCG
SB

Points per game...

Not sure what these data points mean. I am taking it they are an unbiased view of what NE does.

What is more likely to happen; we beat Ne going point for point, or we come up with a defensive game plan and offensive game plan that limits their points?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:00 pm 

We can’t score 30 because guys like Rogers drop perfect TD passes and Ben will eventually turn the ball over and fuck us.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:08 am 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Havoc wrote:

SB
AFCCG
AFCCG
SB
AFCCG
SB

Points per game...

Not sure what these data points mean. I am taking it they are an unbiased view of what NE does.

What is more likely to happen; we beat Ne going point for point, or we come up with a defensive game plan and offensive game plan that limits their points?

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
30 points a game is the enemy of great football.

There is more than 1 way to skin that Lombardi cat.

It's possible for a Steelers qb to lead the league in TD throws and win the SB. We have been there and done that ('78). It's possible for the Steelers to lead the league in scoring offense and win the SB. We have been there and done that ('79).

The version of Ben that we had on the field along with the Alien version of Bryant...

Our offense was at it's best passing the football vertically mixing in the run. The passing game set up the run game. That is how we buried some teams.

I thought we would have that version of Ben plus the Alien coming into this season. There was good reason to believe we could get back to that formula and be one of the best offenses in the league (and most dynamic).

After watching this team yesterday, I am starting to change my thinking on how to get the most out of this current group. I'm not sure what we are going to get from Ben at this point.

I am more concerned about points per possession than points per game.

I am now more open to your formula with the current group than I was to start the season. But let's see how it plays out the rest of the way.

I posted in last week's podcast thread that I am ok with running the football to set up the pass as long as we are aggressive and use the entire field when we do throw the football. I am satisfied with the looks the coaches gave Ben in the passing game yesterday.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8