It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Why cant we have a good defense and STILL try for 30?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:58 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Cranking out first downs is hardly aggressive, or not "throttled down". You keep matriculating the ball you score points. It's not rocket science, despite your's and Haley's clear efforts to excuse under-performance. That's loser talk. Whether trying to put points on the board, or shorten the game and keep your defense off the field, the foundation of both is getting first downs and keep driving.

All offenses try to get first downs and score. All defenses try to stop them. It's the game we watch. Dumb post.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:59 pm 

Can someone please quote our O vs D rankings in '08?

How about '05?

And anything before would be welcome.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:51 am 

Smashmouth21 wrote:
All offenses try to get first downs and score. All defenses try to stop them. It's the game we watch. Dumb post.

LMFAO. Are you Haley's cuckold bitch?

This is not what he said in that article. He basically said he often calls plays with possession first and foremost in mind. That's retarded.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:53 am 

Kodiak wrote:
Smashmouth21 wrote:

LMFAO. Are you Haley's cuckold bitch?

This is not what he said in that article. He basically said he often calls plays with possession first and foremost in mind. That's retarded.

You're really taking alot of liberties with what he said, Kodiak.

I can’t say that [is our identity] but I can’t say I’m not pleased with how we played,” Haley said of the past two games against Kansas City and Cincinnati.

“We’re winning games, I’m excited how our defense is playing and that affects some of the decisions we make.”

“Our defense is playing good football,’’ Haley said. “That can affect the way we do things and the decisions we make. This is a new year, new team, a bunch of new guys.”

My problem is that we're not necessarily doing what Haley says we're doing when we're heaving low percentage passes on yard-to-go. Seems to me like you're interpreting possession as meaning not turning the ball over; I would interpret possession as meaning retaining possession by moving the sticks, thus moving the clock.

I was not a huge Bill Cowher fan, but the most impressive stat of his career was having only once lost a game where his team led by 11 points or more (though he lost a 10-point lead more than once, including twice in playoff games, the infamous '94 AFCCG most notably). Bill Belichick, on the other hand, for all his greatness, has lost quite a few games in that circumstance, most often, from my recollection by keeping his foot on the gas, focusing on scoring more rather than simply possessing the football and moving the clock.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:08 am 

swissvale72 wrote:

I'm really not.

You want to point out or theorize things Haley said that inspire confidence? You want to cite things he said as evidence he gets it? Are there quotes in that article that made you glad Haley is the OC? Seriously?

And let me point out I was a big Haley defender and apologist his first 2-3 years.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:11 am 

Kodiak wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:

I'm really not.

You want to point out or theorize things Haley said that inspire confidence? You want to cite things he said as evidence he gets it? Are there quotes in that article that made you glad Haley is the OC? Seriously?

And let me point out I was a big Haley defender and apologist his first 2-3 years.

The questions you're posing have nothing to do with your misquoting him, essentially making shit up that he's saying.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:04 am 

swissvale72 wrote:
The questions you're posing have nothing to do with your misquoting him, essentially making shit up that he's saying.

I didn't misquote anyone. I simply explained what they were saying. You disagree, and I disagree with your disagreement.

Again, show me where I misquoted anyone. You and I and everyone who read that article know I didn't. So spare me that bullshit.

Last edited by Kodiak on Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:05 am 

VanWilder wrote:
Can someone please quote our O vs D rankings in '08?

How about '05?

And anything before would be welcome.

2017. 5-2
2010. 5-1
2008. 21-1
2005. 8-3
2004. 8-3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:50 am 

SteelerChef wrote:
Games are in fact unique and how they unfold matters in as far as how to persue the offense.

Ive been pretty damn happy the last 2 games.

Picking apart minutiae isnt always productive.

My concerns are-
Can Ben carry the team if a defense can consistently stop Bell? Is Bell going to be as effective in the post season if he keeps getting the ball so much? And always - is this defense and it’s coach going to match up with the Bradys of the world? I’ll believe when I see all of these things happen.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:19 am 

swissvale72 wrote:
MY head will explode if the defensive gameplay is the same, and we let #12 sit in the pocket all goddamn day and pick us the fuck apart.

Mine exploded in the AFCCG even though I knew they would do what they did.

I am not buying until I see it this time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next