It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Why cant we have a good defense and STILL try for 30?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:18 am 

Orangesteel wrote:
Good is the enemy of great.

Perfect is the enemy of great.

30 points a game is the enemy of great football.

With a great defense; score first, score twice and employ the blockade and starve them out. I am happy with it.

I enjoy the run game so much more than the passing game with Bell and Bettis. 30 points a game is too much. It takes the team too far away from what they are trying to execute. I think if you have a set of principles on offense you would never have score 30 or score every drive as a principle.

If you are running a professional football team, the offense would be something you can execute weekly, something that is repeatable, something that is controllable, and something that looks like the previous week in which you can employ improvement methodology.

I don’t get how you practice scoring 30. I get practicing red zone, practicing 2 minute offense, practicing situations. You can’t practice scoring 30. You can also practice eating the clock, 3rd down conversions, QB sneaks, middle of the field plays, staying in bounds, audibles and snapping with 1-2 seconds left on the play clock. You can practice 5 minute drives to end the 2nd half and 5 minute drives to end the 4th qtr.

Scoring 30 is more luck than good.

Great defense, score twice, Go conservative and eat the clock. There is more control what you can control in that mentality than in focusing on scoring 30.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:40 am 

Kodiak wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
The questions you're posing have nothing to do with your misquoting him, essentially making shit up that he's saying.

I didn't misquote anyone. I simply explained what they were saying. You disagree, and I disagree with your disagreement.

Again, show me where I misquoted anyone. You and I and everyone who read that article know I didn't. So spare me that bullshit.

Let's start here. Did he say these things that you have said he said?:

*You tell me that with a lead and the defense playing well, your main job is not to turn the ball over and I'd probably fire you on the spot.

*He basically said he often calls plays with possession first and foremost in mind (...and YOU have interpreted possession to mean an absence of turnovers, rather than maintaining control of the ball and the clock).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:18 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
VanWilder wrote:
Can someone please quote our O vs D rankings in '08?

How about '05?

And anything before would be welcome.

2017. 5-2
2010. 5-1
2008. 21-1
2005. 8-3
2004. 8-3

Thanks. Seems about right on schedule.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:48 pm 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

With a great defense; score first, score twice and employ the blockade and starve them out. I am happy with it.

I enjoy the run game so much more than the passing game with Bell and Bettis. 30 points a game is too much. It takes the team too far away from what they are trying to execute. I think if you have a set of principles on offense you would never have score 30 or score every drive as a principle.

If you are running a professional football team, the offense would be something you can execute weekly, something that is repeatable, something that is controllable, and something that looks like the previous week in which you can employ improvement methodology.

I don’t get how you practice scoring 30. I get practicing red zone, practicing 2 minute offense, practicing situations. You can’t practice scoring 30. You can also practice eating the clock, 3rd down conversions, QB sneaks, middle of the field plays, staying in bounds, audibles and snapping with 1-2 seconds left on the play clock. You can practice 5 minute drives to end the 2nd half and 5 minute drives to end the 4th qtr.

Great defense, score twice, Go conservative and eat the clock. There is more control what you can control in that mentality than in focusing on scoring 30.

With the offence we have & especially if MB regains his previous form, is one touchdown a quarter & one field goal along the way really too much to expect regularly? Perhaps, we could just hire a new assistant offensive coordinator for better red zone direction. It's pretty clear that Haley needs significant help in that area.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:23 pm 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

This is a good post. I think sometimes we get spoiled as Steelers fans. Give me 24 points and a situation where we have the ball last and let our offensive line work. I don't want that defense on the field more than 25 minutes of a game and anything under 20 is a gift. One 7 minute drive in the second half that ends in a TD kills any game or at least makes the opposing offense so one dimensional our defense can basically just stack pressures, sacks, and int from QBs who are trying to avoid the two

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:38 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
I didn't misquote anyone. I simply explained what they were saying. You disagree, and I disagree with your disagreement.

Poor Kodiak. Yes, you clearly did. Never once in this thread did I praise Haley or apologize for him. I simply pointed out that there is more to offensive strategy than reckless abandon at all times. A concept that apparently escapes you. We get it, you don't like Haley. Cool. Now please look back at all the nonsense you've been spewing, get a grip and stop proving to everyone here that you're the village idiot. That is all.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:50 pm 

Smashmouth21 wrote:
Poor Kodiak. Yes, you clearly did.

Show me where I misquoted anyone (pretty hard to do when the quote was cut and pasted from the article).

You said something stupid, and then doubled down on it. Quit while you're behind.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:16 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Show me where I misquoted anyone.

Kodiak wrote:
You keep matriculating the ball you score points. It's not rocket science, despite your's and Haley's clear efforts to excuse under-performance.

Yet another Kodiak fail. I never made any excuses for the offense's underperformance. Now I don't have time to tutor you in reading comprehension so please move on to your next 5-star rant. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:21 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
Let's start here. Did he say these things that you have said he said?:

Umm, did I say he said those things, or is it reading into what he said? I mean, that's usually what we do - we analyze what was said and wasn't said.

Disagree with what I read into or inferred from his comments, but don't try to support your argument by claiming I misquoted him because I didn't.

Thanks for clearing all that up boss.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:24 pm 

Smashmouth21 wrote:
Yet another Kodiak fail. I never made any excuses for the offense's underperformance. Now I don't have time to tutor you in reading comprehension so please move on to your next 5-star rant. Thanks.

Umm, you sure as hell did because you're defending Haley like he's you buddy or your husband. You're defending the underperformance without making excuses for it......rrrrrriiiiiiiigggggghhhhtttttttt......

Still waiting for all these misquotes you claim I made. Like I said, take your bullshit and shove it back up where it came out of.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next