It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fool me once...fool me twice, etc.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:36 am 

Gotta admit, it's happening again. Sitting here in my Prince Edward Island cottage, planning to extend my long weekend by an additional day, awaiting a storm that will further arode my 1.7 acres (more or less, according to the deed), I'm starting to believe that Mike Tomlin's Steelers could, and will, finally vanquish those Belichickian sons-a-bitches from Foxboro in a playoff game.

By the way, all the angst about the douchebag's Trump sonofabitch comment and the attempts to make it some anti-feminist thing...well, I well remember my mom, rest her soul, left home alone with four boys while my dad, Tony the Barber worked long hours at Swissvale shop on Roslyn Street, just down from the Boro Building (that was prior to, in his words, "....the goddamn Beatles ruined my business."). Well I well remember Mom, though she denied, reaching the end of her rope, and screaming at us, "You sonsabitches!!!"

Anyway, barring major injury, seems as though Steelers have a legit pass rush AND a legit secondary, AND a legit d-line, even without Stephon Tuitt. Whatsisname, the Hawaiian guy we signed from Jacksonville, seems to be a more than capable fill-in in the absence of the Notre Damer.

I'm thinking, especially if we can face these Patriots at home, on our own turn, maybe this year turns out different.

Don't get me wrong...I'm still not in Tomlin's corner, still think his major strength, and I'm not saying this necessarily critically, is his possessing an exceptionally well-developed line of bullshit. He does have the capacity to get his guys ready to play, ready to exude the maximum effort. I even think we see #10, presently in the Tomlin doghouse, out and ready to play that afternoon (I think it's the AFC's turn for the earlier kickoff this championship weekend). Who knows, I may even, counter to my better-judgement, make the drive down from New Hampshire, skid along Route 80, pass Beaver Stadium on Route 99, take 22 all the way in from Altoona, to witness this event.

I'll trust that this time, Steelers won't rush 3, sit 8 back in coverage, none within 10 yards of some lacrosse player to whom #12 is delivering the ball at his leisure. We all know that heat on Brady turns him into Tommy Maddox. Put the pressure on him, beat up the tight end from Woodland Hills (who caught all of 8 passes his senior year) at the line, and recreate the 2011 game at Heinz, where the defense got the job done against this team.

And then....Tomlin, Haley, Ben...whoever is responsible...please, facing 3rd & 1, do NOT throw deep, have the ball fall harmlessly to the turf, and kick the ball back to this Patriot squad. Please apply the defending every blade of grass maxim to every offensive possession as well, seek to extend it, nurture it, pick up 2 when you need 1, 5 when you need 4...hang onto the ball, move the sticks, keep #12, #87, and the Cooks dude on the sideline, right next to their dastardly Head Coach.

Yeah, it's Game Day here on PEI, Stompin' Tom, Bud the Spud and all that. Not many things I enjoy more than watching the Steelers on the 24" screen (hi def though finally) in my cottage, chair pulled right up to the screen. Hopefully, 6-2 after tonight, hopefully conquer the Patriots once on December 17, then again in January.

All that said, I wouldn't mind at all if the Patriots had to travel to say, Kansas City, in January, lose there, and have us face off (I'm watching hockey earlier than usual), against the Chefs in January rather than the Foxboro-ites.

And...I'm still wishing that Mike Sullivan, graduate of Boston University's School of Management (as is my boy) knew something about football, could coach the Steelers as well as the Penguins. That dude...just about polar opposite of Mikey T., always makes the right moves, whether it's taking the goalie, the most popular guy on the team, off the ice in favor of the 23-year-old, whether it's his line combos, who sits, who plays. But hey, maybe some of his innate decision-making capability rubs off on the Steelers Head Coach, who's known to frequent PPG Paints Arena, or whatever it's called these days.

So, time-being, I'm believing. Just hope that's still the case around 12:30am, Atlantic Daylight Time tonight.

Post subject: Re: Fool me once...fool me twice, etc.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:46 pm 

These Sunday night games make for a long Sunday afternoon on a drizzly afternoon that has weathermen promising a bombogenesis evening.

Thanks for filling in some dead time with your thoughts while I should of been working on some projects myself.

Certainly agree Tomlin has some incredibly strong attributes while still laking some game day essentials.

So far, rebounded from early, season hohum loses and effort against teams they
should beat, but par for the course for early season Tomlin eggs.

I think they put their best foot forward tonight and look to take a 6-2 record into the bye.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:28 pm 

I had a national sports talk show on the radio this morning while driving. The guest (don't know who it was) talked about how this should be the year for the Steelers. It's wide open and there for the taking. The Patriots don't look as strong. The Chiefs are good but not great. They were better before they lost Berry. He mentioned Ben, AB. and Bell. He ended with this, "If the Steelers don't do it this year, something's wrong."

My thought...

A lot is going to change in the league by tournament time. We shall see.

I'm liking the looks of our chances right now though.

I don't trust Tomlin/Haley with the current roster but I'm hoping for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:41 pm 

The Patriot and Steeler rosters are different from what they were for the AFCCG. No other meeting between the two teams has any relelvance for this year. I've said since before the AFCCG, to beat Brady in the playoffs you need pass rush. Lo and behold, we have a pass rush. We have a chance.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:55 pm 

Patriots are looking stronger with every passing week. Defense has been improving by leaps and bounds.

They’ll be a lot different in January than they are now.

We better find consistency on offense or it will be same old same old...

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:12 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Patriots are looking stronger with every passing week. Defense has been improving by leaps and bounds.

agree 100 %...they getting in the groove..just slower then usual..they remind me of the Russian national hockey team of years ago..bastards..

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:16 pm 

I agree, Jeemie.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:32 pm 

Well, all I can say, is this reminds me of george dubya quoting the who when trying to explain the fool me once mantra. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:05 pm 

Jeemie wrote:

Anybody who thinks we can beat them in January and even in Heinz...... give me a llittle of what you are smoking.