It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cam Sutton returned to practice today.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:25 am 

Right. AB finally sending the message to tomlin he’s not doing the grunt work anymore. Gotta focus on what’s important and what’s important is not fielding punts because the Steelers are unable to find a punt returner for going on 5+ years.

Will be interesting to see what Sutton does if anything. I thought in limited preseason action he looked sharp. But Hilton and Haden have effectively pushed him way down the chart. I agree gay is a candidate to be replaced but gay in limited action is actually pretty good.

That said I do hope they active him for punts, coverage teams and the gay role potentially although gonna be hard to convince tomlin to turn over personnel midway through when statistically they’re doing really good.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:52 am 

Scunge wrote:
I love punt returns and love watching other punt returners. What we have masquerading as punt returners is pretty lame, and may be the lamest I have seen in 20+ years.

Whether it is Brown or Rogers they both have no balls, no guts, no confidence. I am tired of the excuses of there not being any blocking, what can Brown/Rogers do? Bullshit. Your punt returners have to have confidence and swagger and take chances. I am so tired of watching Brown just let the ball bounce and have it roll inside our 15, 10, 5 yard line. Those are prime opportunities to actually get a sizable return. You have to have the confidence to snatch that ball up and make a move.

I saw Cam Sutton do this time and time again in watching his returns. He almost took it as an insult to let a ball hit the ground and roll and ruin his team chances of getting field position. Here is an example of him playing against Bowling Green:

https://youtu.be/zhnk727-WQI?t=94

In that video the ball falls short of him and is tumbling right by him, but he runs back, tracks it and snatches the ball with his sure hands and then proceeds to have a big return of some 50 yards. The past two years, be it Brown or Rogers they would have let the ball continue rolling and be downed inside the 5 yard line.

Here is another example of a punter trying to punt away from Sutton:

https://youtu.be/x0O_afwVVcg?t=146

Sutton runs to the football along the sideline, and it is tumbling but he snatches it up and then returns it for 40+ yards. Again, the past two years with Brown and Rogers, that is a football that continues to tumble and be downed inside the 15, 10, 5 yard line. No balls no glory, if you don't have what it takes to get the job done put somebody in there who can.

This team needs the return game to start making contributions and specifically the punt return game. Sutton could be the elixir to solve the problem, I know that Brown and Rogers are not the answer.

Good stuff Scunge

Sutton eats up yardage with those long strides.

We need every edge we can get facing the Pats or whoever stands in our way of #7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:44 am 

Kodiak wrote:
Sorry, but as long as Willie Gay is getting significant reps then we still need to upgrade the secondary.

What Sunday looked like, to some extent, was a secondary not used to covering that long because the rush/blitz wasn't getting home.

Gay was done 2 years ago, but Tomlin loves him for some reason (veteran presence in the secondary). Unfortunately, it keeps a more skills player off the field or even cut.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:03 pm 

alancac98 wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
Sorry, but as long as Willie Gay is getting significant reps then we still need to upgrade the secondary.

What Sunday looked like, to some extent, was a secondary not used to covering that long because the rush/blitz wasn't getting home.

Gay was done 2 years ago, but Tomlin loves him for some reason (veteran presence in the secondary). Unfortunately, it keeps a more skills player off the field or even cut.

At least Hilton isn't rotting because of it. I say that Sutton takes the place of Moats or Hunter and see what he gives us on ST. A dynamic returner would be a more than adequate addition to what Moats and Hunter bring to the table.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:10 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:59 pm 

I haven't gotten to see any Sensabaugh since he hasn't even played a snap yet but I HAVE seen enough of Moats in a Steeler uniform.

I'm sure he's a solid teammate and works hard, a truly good guy of the league.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:57 pm 

Sensabaugh should be the cut if they activate Sutton. The Steelers aren't going to cut from another position group, what would be the point of that? They already have an issue of getting Brian Allen a hat and now you want to add another CB to the secondary? The obvious answer is that they will cut a defensive back to add Cam Sutton.

Sensabaugh's two year contract was not that much, a two year, $2.6 million deal but he will earn a base salary of $1.4 million in 2018. He was signed when things were more uncertain, we still had Ross Cockrell, hadn't signed Joe Haden obviously, and nobody was expecting the emergence of Mike Hilton.

So, you have Joe Haden, Mike Hilton playing strong and a shiny new 3rd round pick in Cam Sutton ready to come off of IR, fingers crossed, in the next 3 weeks. And Sutton is a proven, quality punt returner in college and we desperately need to make a move there. Sensabaugh should be the logical cut.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:39 pm 

Gay hasn't been bad but Sensabaugh makes enough that it makes you wonder if they'd be okay taking the cap hit.

I'd be okay with either guy if it means Brian Allen isn't cut.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:42 pm 

Sensabaugh has been an abortion on PR units. His normally assignment is covering the other team's gunner. I've watched him closely. He's terrible at it. Constantly beaten both to the inside and outside. It's a big reason our PR unit has been so bad this year.

I'd have no problem releasing Sensabaugh.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:56 pm 

Sensabaugh is a much better corner than Will Gay. He would be a much better dime DB. It is time to cut the cord with Gay if they want to bring Sutton to the active roster. Convert Gay to safety and cut Golden, or cut Gay. We have always been too loyal. Allen is a good young talent. He will get claimed. Brady will pick on Gay or Golden if we play the cheats in the playoffs. Sutton and Allen are the future. Gay is done.