It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Possible Steelers #1 draft pick in 2018?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:28 am 

el"]
GreekSteel wrote:
SteelerChef wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:
I would guess he doesn't have elite speed..but hes a beast with great big soft hands and can jump out of a stadium from what ive seen..i don't think hes gronk but hes closer to gronk than he is the outlaw. Would you guys prefer him in rnd 2?

I dont like PSUers generally....flops as nfl players...

How bout 96 at the end of the 3rd ?....wouldnt make me happy but i could live with it if the idea is hes a red zone matchup problem

I dunno about labeling them as flops because they come from a certain school. I mean no way Barkley is a flop, that kid is Ladanian Tomlinson 2.0. Flat out stud. As for Gesicki, I like him a lot and I wouldn't be schocked if the Steelers loved him as well, seems like their kind of player.

You mean, like Ki-Jana Carter? Blair Thomas? Surefire NFL successes at RB from PSU...

Anyone can flop in the NFL -- don't be so sure of yourself. Barkley ran for 44 yards against tOSU in the first game that really mattered all year.[/quote]

Granted. Id bet my rep as draftnik on Barkley being a stud, labeling him the next LT ok that's a tall order for anyone but Barkley is a flat out stud. His speed,vision and agility is off the charts.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:15 am 
I think Barkley will do well in the nfl. If by some miracle he drops to 32 the Steelers should run to the podium

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:54 am 

No way we take a TE in rd 1 this year.
There simply isn't one worthy of the spot.
I wouldn't mind Gisecki in rd 2.
We have to look really hard at QB, S or ILB with our 1st pick IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:47 am 

I wouldn’t spend much time debating what a golf analyst from a dying paper has to say about the NFL draft. TE is one of the Steelers biggest needs but I doubt that’s the pick. Anyone who claims to know where any team would go this early in the process is nuts.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:39 am 

I would hope that FS and ILB are high on the list. I've not seen any TE that WOWs me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:39 am 

Come on...Barkley only ran for 44 yards because the Buckeyes’ defense flat-out dominated the Lions’ OL.

Penn State’s OL has actually been a weakness all year...OSU was the first defense that could exploit that weakness.

When the starting LT went out, it got worse.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:46 am 

jebrick wrote:
I would hope that FS and ILB are high on the list. I've not seen any TE that WOWs me.

I just don't see ILB being much of a need. Presumably it would be to replace Williams, but he's playing reasonably well and a decent chunk of our 3rd down D has him coming off the field for another safety or CB.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:03 am 

Who knows where they will draft, or who will be available but I would think that it could be
QB, TE, or S in the first.

I like the TE from Oklahoma, and the QB from OK State, they would probably have to trade up for the QB, so that’s pretty unlikely. How about this, assuming they draft 25-32.

1.TE from Oklahoma
2.S
3.OLB
4.N/A
5a.DT
5b.WR
5c.OLB
6.S
7.OT

2019 Ben retired, team had a suck season.
1.QB
2.WR
3.ILB
4.WR
5.CB
6.OG
7.DE

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:16 pm 

seabs926 wrote:
jebrick wrote:

I just don't see ILB being much of a need. Presumably it would be to replace Williams, but he's playing reasonably well and a decent chunk of our 3rd down D has him coming off the field for another safety or CB.

i think he has look like shit when not on the goal line or a run up the gut. his side-to-side movement is very limited. He can't cover half as much as Timmons could/can.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:42 pm 

I think they take a QB early give him a year to learn under Ben

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:09 pm 

Anybody who points to Barkley's rushing production in the OSU game and attributes it to his ability is an imbecile in the truest sense of the word.

Barkley didn't have big rushing numbers because he was getting hit in the backfield all game. As Jeemie said, the O-line has been the weak link all season. It showed, especially in the second half of that game.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:17 pm 
Vertical Steel wrote:
Anybody who points to Barkley's rushing production in the OSU game and attributes it to his ability is an imbecile in the truest sense of the word.

Barkley didn't have big rushing numbers because he was getting hit in the backfield all game. As Jeemie said, the O-line has been the weak link all season. It showed, especially in the second half of that game.

Maybe....maybe not.....psu rbs....wow....that is a long line of floptastrophies....

I think Barkley will be great.....but its no sure thing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:25 pm 

SteelerChef wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
Franco Harris, Jack Ham, Darren Perry, Jeff Hartings....just Steeler ex-Nittany Lions, just ones I can think of at the moment...all flops.

Lol.....the list of flops is damn long and you know it.....lol

Thanks Swiss. Hopefully someone will read this to the Chef

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:39 pm 

if you don't have good OL No RB is going post good numbers on a weekly basis.

I have a question what type of QB should the steelers target as Ben Replacement?

A gunslinger?
Runner ?

A mix of Strong Arm QB with some Mobility

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:17 pm 

I think Jeff Hartings and Perry fall way closer to serviceable parts than they do to Ham and Harris. You could add Jon Witman to the serviceable parts category, as well.

AQ Shipley also continues to occupy an NFL roster. The power of the pre-draft podcast.

Chef should be well aware of Witman. Played his high school ball just across the Susquehanna. Not quite as close to home as Manheim Central's own Danny Kreider, but close enough.

Was cool for almost a decade there was a Central PA fullback opening holes for the Steelers on Sundays.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:59 pm 

Ice wrote:
I think Jeff Hartings and Perry fall way closer to serviceable parts than they do to Ham and Harris. You could add Jon Witman to the serviceable parts category, as well.

AQ Shipley also continues to occupy an NFL roster. The power of the pre-draft podcast.

Chef should be well aware of Witman. Played his high school ball just across the Susquehanna. Not quite as close to home as Manheim Central's own Danny Kreider, but close enough.

Was cool for almost a decade there was a Central PA fullback opening holes for the Steelers on Sundays.

No doubt!! But neither were they flops, which is STD's conclusion.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:13 pm 
swissvale72 wrote:
Ice wrote:

No doubt!! But neither were they flops, which is STD's conclusion.

Wait a sec....lol.....i didnt say they were all flops....lol

Alot are....thats undeniable....psu is way overhyped for nfl talent

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:26 pm 

steelmann58 wrote:

I have a question what type of QB should the steelers target as Ben Replacement?

A gunslinger?

Maybe.

steelmann58 wrote:
Runner ?

Absolutely not. I want a PASSER at the QB position. His first and foremost ability must be pin point accurate passing and the ability to pull off wins at the end. I've seen too many QB's that can run but not throw, and I want no part of it.

steelmann58 wrote:
A mix of Strong Arm QB with some Mobility

Sounds great if he also has the accuracy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:30 pm 

Ice wrote:

I would hardly call Hartings' career "serviceable" He went to 2 pro bowls, was 2nd team all pro once and first team all pro once along with starting 160 games in his career. He was a damn good player. Too bad his knees went bad and he "only" lasted 11 years.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:25 pm 

I'd say he falls closer to serviceable than he does Jack Ham and Franco Harris status, and I'll stand by that.

Speaking of Steelers guards, was cool hearing Terry talk about Mean Joe and Gerry Mullins going at it in practice on TV this week.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:31 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Come on...Barkley only ran for 44 yards because the Buckeyes’ defense flat-out dominated the Lions’ OL.

Penn State’s OL has actually been a weakness all year...OSU was the first defense that could exploit that weakness.

When the starting LT went out, it got worse.

Like many NFL scouts, I didn't even watch the game. I just saw the stats. If he has an excuse because of the OL, so be it. Maybe the scouts will figure that out -- maybe they won't.

Anyway, that's all beside the point. The point I was making is this -- someone said Barkley is a sure fire NFL success, the next LT.

I say, there is NO "sure thing" when it comes to RBs translating to success in the NFL.

I pointed out 2 examples from the modern NFL from PSU: Ki-Jana Carter (1st overall Draft Pick) and Blair Thomas (2nd overall draft pick).

Coming out of PSU, both of those guys were "sure fire" NFL successes -- expectations which were reflected in their incredibly high draft positions.

They both failed spectacularly.

Barkley may indeed be the "next LT," but given PSU's history at the RB position, I wouldn't bet too much on that proposition.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:40 am 

Barkley's numbers since the OSU game (21 carries/ 41 yards):

14 carries -63 yards against MSU
14 carries - 35 yards against Rutgers

definitely not LT type numbers

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:43 am 

steel wrote:
Barkley's numbers since the OSU game (21 carries/ 41 yards):

14 carries -63 yards against MSU
14 carries - 35 yards against Rutgers

definitely not LT type numbers

Major freak athlete and RB...if you're looking strictly at his boxcscore from the last 2 or 3 weeks...you'd miss be missing out on a franchise RB...top 3 draft pick

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:20 pm 

I think I'm with Drama. That little kid from USC is fun to watch.