It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Significant New Players in 24 Months
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:47 am 

The FO has done a great job of injecting so much talent into this roster in the past 24 months -- players who are either starting or making big contributions--

it's almost unbelievable -- remember when it took 5 fucking years to see new guys make it into the lineup?

Here's the list off the top of my head:

1. Artie Burns
2. Sean Davis
3. Javon Hargrave
4. Tyler Matakevich
5. Mike Hilton
6. TJ Watt
7. JuJu
8. Joe Haden
9. Tyson Alalulu
10. James Connor (not significant yet, but backup RB will come into play at some point this season)

Post subject: Re: Significant New Players in 24 Months
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:07 pm 

steel wrote:
The FO has done a great job of injecting so much talent into this roster in the past 24 months -- players who are either starting or making big contributions--

it's almost unbelievable -- remember when it took 5 fucking years to see new guys make it into the lineup?

1. Artie Burns
2. Sean Davis
3. Javon Hargrave
4. Tyler Matakevich
5. Mike Hilton
6. TJ Watt
7. JuJu
8. Joe Haden
9. Tyson Alalulu
10. James Connor (not significant yet, but backup RB will come into play at some point this season)

Good list...hopefully Cam Sutton makes it 11 soon enough

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:11 pm 

6 starter quality players, 2 good package player, and 2 depth players. Great job.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:28 pm 

Steelers figured out two key things. One is draft picks have to play early. Two is no reason to fear turnover and short term signings from season to season if it improves the team.

Now they’re playing like they mean it in the nfl in 2017. And it shows

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:00 pm 

With the exception of Alualu and maybe Matakevich, none have reached their potential...some are not even close.

Ultimately, America's answer to the intolerant man is diversity, the very diversity which our heritage of religious freedom has inspired.

Robert F. Kennedy...50 years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:12 pm 

steel wrote:

1. Artie Burns
2. Sean Davis
3. Javon Hargrave
4. Tyler Matakevich
5. Mike Hilton
6. TJ Watt
7. JuJu
8. Joe Haden
9. Tyson Alalulu

JJ Wilcox, for whatever its worth. Also Vance McDonald.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:35 pm 

I definitely hope we can add to that list in the 2nd half of the year --

Would love to see Cam Sutton be a real contributor
Would love to see Vance McDonald and JJ Wilcox step up - i totally forgot about those guys, but they haven't made much impact yet

also, someone said that the young guys will all be getting better -- totally agree -- they could improve a lot during the second half of this season

It's just amazing to see how much talent is now starting/contributing to the team that we acquired in the past 24 months. Just a huge transformation.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:11 am 

Great contributions from new players. I had high hopes for Watt and JuJu right from the get go. Terrific attitude players, perfectly suited for this team, I saw them being able to come in and contribute from the start. Where I’m personally the most pleasantly surprised is with the secondary additions of Haden and Hilton. There were serious doubts as to what Haden would bring, and Hilton was a total wild card. Secondary is so much better because of them. Now if only someone could talk some sense into Mike Mitchell (although I concede that might not be possible). It’s not just the errors he makes, but the way he compounds errors (the missed sack a couple of weeks back, immediately followed by a 15 yard penalty on the same play). But let’s face it, hard to have everything. Front office deserves a lot of credit. Next up on the new player list is Cam Sutton. Excited to see how he looks out there.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:08 am 

steel wrote:

1. Artie Burns
2. Sean Davis
3. Javon Hargrave
4. Tyler Matakevich
5. Mike Hilton
6. TJ Watt
7. JuJu
8. Joe Haden
9. Tyson Alalulu

Awesome job by the front office, staff, scouts, and coaches.
I think they have put more emphasis on football smart, work ethic, good people type and most importantly.......... football players.
Players with great work ethic and players who want to improve their bodies, to get bigger, better and stronger.

As opposed to a stretch of time where we were drafting a good number of guys based on college performance and college tape, that I do not believe had football smarts/smarts and or had character flaws.
Did not have NFL football as the number one priority of taking the opportunity of a lifetime, to set themselves and their families up for generations.

Maybe they have some new scale system or became better interviewing about the non football qualities of individuals. Better evaluation of the inner mind.

Hopefully they realized drafting bigger DB's to keep pace with the growing NFL WR's and TE's who are getting bigger and faster is the better approach than drafting small over achievers.

Look at last 2 drafts as opposed to the few years before.

Sutton 5'-11" / 188
Allen 6'-3" / 215
Burns 6'-0" / 193
Davis 6'-1" / 201

vs.
Golson 5'-9" / 178
Grant 5'-10" / 178
Shmarko 5'-9" / 213

and jump to the offensive side of the line with:

Archer 5'-8" /173
Rainey 5'-8" / 178

You want to reach on a short player, do it in the later rounds.
You want to find a short player with spunk and a big heart, take your chance with UDFA's and see what they have in camp ( Hilton )