It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Defense Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:26 pm
Posts: 3542
3rd in the league in total points. Average age of starters 25.

So much talk about our offense, but I've had way more fun watching this defense emerge this season. It's a breath of fresh air to have a top defense in Pittsburgh again.

A co-worker of mine is a huge Ravens fan (But not the obnoxious type). So we get into some good football discussion. I told him before the season this defense would be in the top 10 at least. He laughed. Now I laugh.

_________________
"Antonio Brown doesn't need to respond to anything," Tomlin said. "He walks into stadiums and he's Antonio Brown and he made Antonio Brown plays."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Defense Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:18 pm
Posts: 8896
While everybody has raised their games (except possibly Mike Mitchell) I think TJ Watt is the difference.

He plays his fucking ass off EVERY FUCKING PLAY. Never see the guy take time off on the field.

I think that has been contagious to the overall defense. These guys simply work harder as a group than they did in the last several years.

_________________
86n96 wrote:
Waaaaaah! Waaaaaah!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Defense Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 8899
Ehhh, Stafford kind of shredded them. Sure, they held-up in the RZ, but that had a lot to do with a few missed throws and drops. Of course, no defense holds everyone down in this league anymore.

On the other hand, they played well against Dalton and Alex Smith. But those guys, plus Stafford, tend to be inconsistent but capable of great games.

Hopefully they are more than a paper tiger - only guys left are Brady, Dalton again, and Watson...then it's onto the playoffs. Homefield is big big big, because that would likely mean NE/KC meet in the divisional game, otherwise we'd probably have to face both Brady and Smith again.

I think this is a team that, if healthy, should improve considerably on both sides of the ball in the second half. Tomlin's teams usually improve more than most as the season goes on, and with a favorable schedule it will be a shame to go worse than 12-4.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Defense Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:57 pm
Posts: 2544
Kodiak wrote:
Ehhh, Stafford kind of shredded them. Sure, they held-up in the RZ, but that had a lot to do with a few missed throws and drops. Of course, no defense holds everyone down in this league anymore.

On the other hand, they played well against Dalton and Alex Smith. But those guys, plus Stafford, tend to be inconsistent but capable of great games.

Hopefully they are more than a paper tiger - only guys left are Brady, Dalton again, and Watson...then it's onto the playoffs. Homefield is big big big, because that would likely mean NE/KC meet in the divisional game, otherwise we'd probably have to face both Brady and Smith again.

I think this is a team that, if healthy, should improve considerably on both sides of the ball in the second half. Tomlin's teams usually improve more than most as the season goes on, and with a favorable schedule it will be a shame to go worse than 12-4.


They keep playing cover 2 zone. any decent QB will pick it apart. They do switch to man coverage until the red zone.

_________________
So here’s the thing about watching game tape: it’s only as useful as the asshole watching it. - Drew Magary


Last edited by jebrick on Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Defense Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:50 pm
Posts: 3517
Kodiak wrote:
Ehhh, Stafford kind of shredded them. Sure, they held-up in the RZ, but that had a lot to do with a few missed throws and drops. Of course, no defense holds everyone down in this league anymore.

On the other hand, they played well against Dalton and Alex Smith. But those guys, plus Stafford, tend to be inconsistent but capable of great games.

Hopefully they are more than a paper tiger - only guys left are Brady, Dalton again, and Watson...then it's onto the playoffs. Homefield is big big big, because that would likely mean NE/KC meet in the divisional game, otherwise we'd probably have to face both Brady and Smith again.

I think this is a team that, if healthy, should improve considerably on both sides of the ball in the second half. Tomlin's teams usually improve more than most as the season goes on, and with a favorable schedule it will be a shame to go worse than 12-4.

Denver and Seattle both did along the way to SB wins just a few years ago.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Defense Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 13893
They made a conscious choice vs Detroit to give them space underneath and then tighten the screws in the red zone. It worked.

_________________
Whatever it takes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Defense Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 8899
bradshaw2ben wrote:
They made a conscious choice vs Detroit to give them space underneath and then tighten the screws in the red zone. It worked.


Yeah, tip of the cap to the DC who gameplans for missed throws and drops, like a 12th man defending your EZ.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Defense Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:36 pm
Posts: 337
KC wrote:
While everybody has raised their games (except possibly Mike Mitchell) I think TJ Watt is the difference.

He plays his fucking ass off EVERY FUCKING PLAY. Never see the guy take time off on the field.

I think that has been contagious to the overall defense. These guys simply work harder as a group than they did in the last several years.


True dat... Guy has every leadership quality you could ask for, and is a hell of a player to boot.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Defense Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:41 pm
Posts: 424
Home field and a bye is indeed huge for this team. They play it too close to the vest on the road, and they get outschemed badly by NE every time, so they need every other factor in their favor to overcome.

Best case scenario would be #1 seed, bye, Bills and then KC again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Defense Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:11 pm
Posts: 1452
bradshaw2ben wrote:
They made a conscious choice vs Detroit to give them space underneath and then tighten the screws in the red zone. It worked.


Not to mention that Collinsworth and a few others, including players, mentioned how Stafford can rifle throws into very small windows. He's been torching zones his whole career in ways few QBs can.

We've had monster defenses under Cowher and Tomlin get regularly torched by Brady and sliced apart by Rodgers when it mattered most. Butler's competence vs the great OCs in this league remains suspect.

Still the optimists win. Outside of Bell and Brown, watching these studs improve has been the most exciting aspect of the season.

_________________

Ultimately, America's answer to the intolerant man is diversity, the very diversity which our heritage of religious freedom has inspired.


Robert F. Kennedy...50 years ago.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BethlehemSteel, Bing [Bot], JackSplat58, VASteel and 27 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group