It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Defense Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:46 pm 

The throw Stafford made on the run to his left deep down field against Burns was ridiculous. One of the best throws I've seen this year.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:27 pm 

I point this out too, Detroit had their bye before playing us, so two weeks to prepare, I think that made a huge difference in some of the throws Stafford made.

I optimistically think that us having two weeks to prepare for Indy, having the bye to rest up, get healthy means Indy is in trouble, I expect offensive fireworks and defensive domination (Watt 3 sacks, etc). Of course then on a short week against the Titans, maybe we lose in a classic trap game on Thursday night, but that is a topic for another day.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:16 pm 

Was gonna start a new thread but then I saw this one so I'm just gonna drop this right here.

Loved Brian Baldinger's breakdown of the Red Zone D
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2017/11/2/16588602/breakdown-of-javon-hargraves-improvement-how-the-steelers-defense-brought-their-big-boy-pants-lions

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:29 pm 
Stillcajun wrote:
Was gonna start a new thread but then I saw this one so I'm just gonna drop this right here.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2017/11/2/16588602/breakdown-of-javon-hargraves-improvement-how-the-steelers-defense-brought-their-big-boy-pants-lions

Great

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:11 am 

TB wrote:
The throw Stafford made on the run to his left deep down field against Burns was ridiculous. One of the best throws I've seen this year.

Hard to imagine a better one in any year.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:11 am 

Scunge wrote:
I point this out too, Detroit had their bye before playing us, so two weeks to prepare, I think that made a huge difference in some of the throws Stafford made.

I optimistically think that us having two weeks to prepare for Indy, having the bye to rest up, get healthy means Indy is in trouble, I expect offensive fireworks and defensive domination (Watt 3 sacks, etc). Of course then on a short week against the Titans, maybe we lose in a classic trap game on Thursday night, but that is a topic for another day.

Watt hasn't done much on the pass rush since his injury. I'll be surprised if he has a 3 sack game.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:26 am 

Stillcajun wrote:

That was badman stuff from Hargrave on the 4th and 7 play.

Inside pressure!!!

He's one of our better defensive players. Get him on the field more.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:45 am 

Kodiak wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
They made a conscious choice vs Detroit to give them space underneath and then tighten the screws in the red zone. It worked.

Yeah, tip of the cap to the DC who gameplans for missed throws and drops, like a 12th man defending your EZ.
The steelers O dropped two TD's as well. What's your point?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:15 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
They made a conscious choice vs Detroit to give them space underneath and then tighten the screws in the red zone. It worked.

Yeah, tip of the cap to the DC who gameplans for missed throws and drops, like a 12th man defending your EZ.
The steelers O dropped two TD's as well. What's your point?

I fast forwarded through my DVR recording to check out the Lions red zone trips. To be quite honest, there were no out and out drops, and only one pass where you could say that Stafford missed. Even on that one, the coverage was tight. What there was, was very good red zone play from the Steelers D. Now, I wouldn’t count on that sort of “strategy” to work long term, but against the Lions on that night, the RZ defense was top notch.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:35 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
I fast forwarded through my DVR recording to check out the Lions red zone trips. To be quite honest, there were no out and out drops, and only one pass where you could say that Stafford missed. Even on that one, the coverage was tight. What there was, was very good red zone play from the Steelers D. Now, I wouldn’t count on that sort of “strategy” to work long term, but against the Lions on that night, the RZ defense was top notch.
I agree. I watched highlights, albeit not all 22, but they played their asses off and were in the right place at the right time. Kudos to them. Burns shut down the pass to the corner, and the D line came up strong and efficient.