It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Defense Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:13 pm
Posts: 3981
The throw Stafford made on the run to his left deep down field against Burns was ridiculous. One of the best throws I've seen this year.

_________________
SteelThrillsseeker wrote:
Dad showed up after work and according to her the entire hospital hears my dad yell you are not naming our son Hoss.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Defense Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:14 pm
Posts: 1902
I point this out too, Detroit had their bye before playing us, so two weeks to prepare, I think that made a huge difference in some of the throws Stafford made.

I optimistically think that us having two weeks to prepare for Indy, having the bye to rest up, get healthy means Indy is in trouble, I expect offensive fireworks and defensive domination (Watt 3 sacks, etc). Of course then on a short week against the Titans, maybe we lose in a classic trap game on Thursday night, but that is a topic for another day.

_________________
#greendot51


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Defense Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:40 am
Posts: 2216
Was gonna start a new thread but then I saw this one so I'm just gonna drop this right here.

Loved Brian Baldinger's breakdown of the Red Zone D
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2017/11/2/16588602/breakdown-of-javon-hargraves-improvement-how-the-steelers-defense-brought-their-big-boy-pants-lions


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Defense Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:29 pm 
Stillcajun wrote:
Was gonna start a new thread but then I saw this one so I'm just gonna drop this right here.

Loved Brian Baldinger's breakdown of the Red Zone D
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2017/11/2/16588602/breakdown-of-javon-hargraves-improvement-how-the-steelers-defense-brought-their-big-boy-pants-lions


Great


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Defense Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16284
TB wrote:
The throw Stafford made on the run to his left deep down field against Burns was ridiculous. One of the best throws I've seen this year.

Hard to imagine a better one in any year.

_________________
Suwanee88 wrote:
But it’s your fault that you are kind of a stubborn jagoff that would argue with a fence post


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Defense Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16284
Scunge wrote:
I point this out too, Detroit had their bye before playing us, so two weeks to prepare, I think that made a huge difference in some of the throws Stafford made.

I optimistically think that us having two weeks to prepare for Indy, having the bye to rest up, get healthy means Indy is in trouble, I expect offensive fireworks and defensive domination (Watt 3 sacks, etc). Of course then on a short week against the Titans, maybe we lose in a classic trap game on Thursday night, but that is a topic for another day.

Watt hasn't done much on the pass rush since his injury. I'll be surprised if he has a 3 sack game.

_________________
Suwanee88 wrote:
But it’s your fault that you are kind of a stubborn jagoff that would argue with a fence post


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Defense Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:47 am
Posts: 4240
Stillcajun wrote:
Was gonna start a new thread but then I saw this one so I'm just gonna drop this right here.

Loved Brian Baldinger's breakdown of the Red Zone D
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2017/11/2/16588602/breakdown-of-javon-hargraves-improvement-how-the-steelers-defense-brought-their-big-boy-pants-lions


That was badman stuff from Hargrave on the 4th and 7 play.

Inside pressure!!!

He's one of our better defensive players. Get him on the field more.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Defense Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:08 pm
Posts: 6318
Kodiak wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
They made a conscious choice vs Detroit to give them space underneath and then tighten the screws in the red zone. It worked.


Yeah, tip of the cap to the DC who gameplans for missed throws and drops, like a 12th man defending your EZ.
The steelers O dropped two TD's as well. What's your point?

_________________
"I wish Fraudlin would get testicular cancer and die after he watches me anally penetrate his wife."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Defense Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:58 pm
Posts: 6878
COR-TEN wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
They made a conscious choice vs Detroit to give them space underneath and then tighten the screws in the red zone. It worked.


Yeah, tip of the cap to the DC who gameplans for missed throws and drops, like a 12th man defending your EZ.
The steelers O dropped two TD's as well. What's your point?

I fast forwarded through my DVR recording to check out the Lions red zone trips. To be quite honest, there were no out and out drops, and only one pass where you could say that Stafford missed. Even on that one, the coverage was tight. What there was, was very good red zone play from the Steelers D. Now, I wouldn’t count on that sort of “strategy” to work long term, but against the Lions on that night, the RZ defense was top notch.

_________________
"They're standing around, Butz!" - Kevin O'Shea


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Defense Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:08 pm
Posts: 6318
Jobus Rum wrote:
I fast forwarded through my DVR recording to check out the Lions red zone trips. To be quite honest, there were no out and out drops, and only one pass where you could say that Stafford missed. Even on that one, the coverage was tight. What there was, was very good red zone play from the Steelers D. Now, I wouldn’t count on that sort of “strategy” to work long term, but against the Lions on that night, the RZ defense was top notch.
I agree. I watched highlights, albeit not all 22, but they played their asses off and were in the right place at the right time. Kudos to them. Burns shut down the pass to the corner, and the D line came up strong and efficient.

_________________
"I wish Fraudlin would get testicular cancer and die after he watches me anally penetrate his wife."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Defense Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:35 pm
Posts: 7598
I'm not necessarily in agreement when I see the Steelers only rush three, but then I see the them actually getting good pressure rushing three. If they can rush three and get pressure, damn.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Defense Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:35 pm
Posts: 7598
Speaking of rushing with three, I'm noticing more teams doing that this year. What's up with that?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Defense Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11317
Poltargyst wrote:
Speaking of rushing with three, I'm noticing more teams doing that this year. What's up with that?


And defense appears to be up this year. Maybe since so few guys can consistently win 1-on-1, much less doubles, teams not named PIT are more interested in taking away the quick, short passes. If 4-5 can't there in under 2 seconds, maybe 3 can in 4 seconds?

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Defense Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:57 pm
Posts: 3136
Poltargyst wrote:
Speaking of rushing with three, I'm noticing more teams doing that this year. What's up with that?



when in the RZ it puts a lot of players in a compressed area. Otherwise it is a prevent defense.

_________________
To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
- Henri Poincaré


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Almighty Slacker, Baltostiller, BarryFoster, Google [Bot] and 28 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group