It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Asshole/Selfish Players care more about money that the team
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:14 am 

* July 21, 1977: Jack Lambert decided not to report to training camp, because he was unhappy with the salary he was to be paid in the option year of the contract he originally signed in 1974 as a rookie from Kent State.

* July 28, 1977: Jack Lambert’s agent upped the ante a little bit, and this was the headline on the top of the sports page in the Pittsburgh Press: “Agent tells Rooney: Jack wants traded.”

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject: Re: Asshole/Selfish Players care more about money that the t
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:39 am 

Thanks for the news.

Sad to see the loss of such talent when the defense has been playing so well of late. Next man up!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:44 am 

Miter Saw wrote:
Thanks for the news.

Sad to see the loss of such talent when the defense has been playing so well of late. Next man up!

I just love seeing stuff like this, just because typical Yinzers look at today's players and say, "They never did that back in the day.... blah, blah, blah" :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:46 am 

It wasn't about money for this year but not too different to MB's play me or trade me words. No trade but I would assume MB more involved in the offence after the break.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:12 am 

blu wrote:
It wasn't about money for this year but not too different to MB's play me or trade me words. No trade but I would assume MB more involved in the offence after the break.

Jack Lambert had been a part of 2 Super Bowl champion teams and was coming off of a DPOY campaign.
Martavis Bryant has never played more than 11 games in a season and is coming off of a year long drug suspension.

I didn't mind guys being vocal about contract demands or doing stuff like 'Dancing with the Stars' as long as they can back it up on the field. Bryant's career has been marred by one screw up after another. Its a very different situation - he needs to shut up and play.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:14 am 

Pabst wrote:
blu wrote:

Jack Lambert had been a part of 2 Super Bowl champion teams and was coming off of a DPOY campaign.
Martavis Bryant has never played more than 11 games in a season and is coming off of a year long drug suspension

I didn't mind guys being vocal about contract demands or doing stuff like 'Dancing with the Stars' as long as they can back it up on the field. Bryant's career has been marred by one screw up after another. Its a very different situation - he needs to shut up and play.

Plus football players back in the 70's did not make nearly the amount of money players make today.
And I relate that in terms of average NFL salary compared to the average american salary then and now.
It is so much more disproportionate these days.

Those guys back then worked in the off season and drove to camp / practice / games in modest pick -up trucks ( Lambert )
Can't imagine what the players parking lots look like today with the lifestyle, salary, endorsements, etc of todays players.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:22 am 

Not to mention the salary Lambert was holding out for was likely 1/3 of the current NFL vet minimum or less. One of the most amusing things about my uncle's 70s Steelers Topps cards when I went through them a few years back was the offseason jobs that they all listed.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:22 am 
Also Jack Lambert is white!!!

Lol

:roll:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:25 am 

SteelerChef wrote:

Lol

Feel like that's probably about as far beside the point as it gets.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:28 am 
Ice wrote:
SteelerChef wrote:

Lol

Feel like that's probably about as far beside the point as it gets.

Oh no its not.....

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next