It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Artie "Wiffs" Burns
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 7311
BarryFoster wrote:
SP wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
You know he had 4 tackles vs the run on Sunday night, right?

First four all season. That's the problem.


But it's an improvement

He ain't no Artie Choke


"Mighta choked Arti....ain't gonna choke Stymie!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNSzZvEkoDE


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artie "Wiffs" Burns
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:45 am
Posts: 783
Scunge wrote:
I am disappointed in Burns this year. I expected a big jump from his rookie year to year two. I don't see it.

Everybody was so down on Ross Cockrell, calling him soft, can't play the run, not physical enough and yet Burns is playing softer than Cockrell ever did. Just don't understand it. And it isn't like he is this shut down CB who you can say hey, we drafted him to be a stud coverage guy. Where are the INTs? The broken up passes? Seems like QBs are targeting him more because Haden is that CB that we want Burns to be, they avoid Haden and throw more at Burns.

When we played Cincy and I got my first chance to watch William Jackson the 3rd, it was eye opening. So, that is what a first round CB is supposed to perform like, tight coverage, playing the catch point, knocking the football out of Antonio Brown's hands. Yes! What we have in Burns in nowhere close to that, and may never be.

I don't know what this season would have been like without Mike Hilton and Joe Haden. If we had gone into this season with Burns, Cockrell and Gay as our trio, we might be lucky to be 4-4.

If people are honest, the two weakest performers on defense are which two players? For me that is Burns and Mitchell. They are the two biggest weaknesses that teams exploit and it isn't even close. One we spent a first round pick on and the other we signed to a 5 year $25 million contract. Not really getting a good return on those investments.


Spot on Scrung. $64 question is can he be coached up or he is what he is.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artie "Wiffs" Burns
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:16 pm
Posts: 6839
Quote:

"Mighta choked Arti....ain't gonna choke Stymie!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNSzZvEkoDE

Report this post


You are the only one who got my reference

_________________
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GflYTviOIag


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artie "Wiffs" Burns
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:00 am 
Online

Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:08 pm
Posts: 526
Wasn't Artie one of the youngest corners in the draft last year? The kid is young and talented. I think he's playing pretty well with room for improvement. And he has all the tools to improve with experience.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artie "Wiffs" Burns
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16525
Adjusted for opponent rankings:

vs #1 WR 15th
vs#2WR 19th
vs 3rd/4th WR 6th
vs TE 2nd
vs RB 17th.
Burns's side 30th
middle 10th
Haden side 1st
deep 19th
short 5th.
Short on Burns' side 24th, short on Haden side 1st.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

_________________
VASteelerGuy wrote:
These refs suck


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artie "Wiffs" Burns
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:56 pm
Posts: 1040
This thread and title are funny. Fans are never satisfied.

We bitch for years about getting quality corners. Years. Bitch about It. Now we have one, that was drafted, even.

And we’re bitching about his tackling. Now that’s funny.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artie "Wiffs" Burns
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:14 pm
Posts: 1941
Oh, I am quite happy and extremely satisfied with Mike Hilton and Joe Haden, Burns on the other hand...

...I mean you can't not appreciate the irony. We find an UDFA cut by two teams and sign a free agent from a division rival after he was cut and they are both playing better and more consistently than our first rounder we drafted.

If you had to choose one CB to do without from the trio of Burns, Haden and Hilton, Burns is the the obvious choice for me. That is kind of sad.

I am tired of excuses too. Screw his age, he is at the midway point of his second season, how much slack is he allowed?

_________________
#greendot51


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artie "Wiffs" Burns
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:47 am 
Im still in wait and see mode. Defense is a team sport. So far theyve been pretty good.

I think there are 4 stats that make or break a defense.
The most important being TDs allowed and then some order of TFLs TOs and some metric of 1st downs/3rd and 4th conversions (?)

I think the D has been pretty good not allowing TDs.

If the offense pulls it together just a little things are gonna be fine


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artie "Wiffs" Burns
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:54 pm
Posts: 2252
Burns has been fine. For years, we complain that the Steelers prioritize CBs run defense prowess over pass defense. Now, we are bitching the corner doesn't play the run well enough? BS.

Burns has been beat a few times the last few weeks. I've also seen him making some nice closing plays throughout the year. He hasn't made the leap I'd hope but he is playing fine. There is some strong recency bias going on here.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artie "Wiffs" Burns
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16525
Zeke5123 wrote:
Burns has been fine. For years, we complain that the Steelers prioritize CBs run defense prowess over pass defense. Now, we are bitching the corner doesn't play the run well enough? BS.

Burns has been beat a few times the last few weeks. I've also seen him making some nice closing plays throughout the year. He hasn't made the leap I'd hope but he is playing fine. There is some strong recency bias going on here.

I ask: did you look at the stats I posted above and still think he's doing okay?

_________________
VASteelerGuy wrote:
These refs suck


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artie "Wiffs" Burns
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4838
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
Joe Haden was a top 10 pick, and he's a finished, polished product. Burns wasn't, and isn't. He does, however, have plenty of ceiling left.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artie "Wiffs" Burns
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:40 pm
Posts: 148
Ice wrote:
Joe Haden was a top 10 pick, and he's a finished, polished product. Burns wasn't, and isn't. He does, however, have plenty of ceiling left.


Agreed.

Some of you are making the Dick LeBeau argument for keeping Burns on the bench until he's 30.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artie "Wiffs" Burns
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:16 pm
Posts: 6839
Rocky Mtn Stiller wrote:
Ice wrote:
Joe Haden was a top 10 pick, and he's a finished, polished product. Burns wasn't, and isn't. He does, however, have plenty of ceiling left.


Agreed.

Some of you are making the Dick LeBeau argument for keeping Burns on the bench until he's 30.


I don't miss those internships w defensive rookies

_________________
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GflYTviOIag


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artie "Wiffs" Burns
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:13 pm
Posts: 1725
BarryFoster wrote:
Rocky Mtn Stiller wrote:
Ice wrote:
Joe Haden was a top 10 pick, and he's a finished, polished product. Burns wasn't, and isn't. He does, however, have plenty of ceiling left.


Agreed.

Some of you are making the Dick LeBeau argument for keeping Burns on the bench until he's 30.


I don't miss those internships w defensive rookies

This myth will never die, will it

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artie "Wiffs" Burns
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:59 pm 
I hope the Steelers sign Joe Haden longer term...his contract explodes next year.....

How many TDs has Burns given up ?


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artie "Wiffs" Burns
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:02 pm 
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Zeke5123 wrote:
Burns has been fine. For years, we complain that the Steelers prioritize CBs run defense prowess over pass defense. Now, we are bitching the corner doesn't play the run well enough? BS.

Burns has been beat a few times the last few weeks. I've also seen him making some nice closing plays throughout the year. He hasn't made the leap I'd hope but he is playing fine. There is some strong recency bias going on here.

I ask: did you look at the stats I posted above and still think he's doing okay?


Those are based on a 64 scale ?.....If so they dont look to bad....top 50% on all....in some cases much better


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artie "Wiffs" Burns
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16525
SteelerChef wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Zeke5123 wrote:
Burns has been fine. For years, we complain that the Steelers prioritize CBs run defense prowess over pass defense. Now, we are bitching the corner doesn't play the run well enough? BS.

Burns has been beat a few times the last few weeks. I've also seen him making some nice closing plays throughout the year. He hasn't made the leap I'd hope but he is playing fine. There is some strong recency bias going on here.

I ask: did you look at the stats I posted above and still think he's doing okay?


Those are based on a 64 scale ?.....If so they dont look to bad....top 50% on all....in some cases much better

Out of 32 teams

_________________
VASteelerGuy wrote:
These refs suck


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artie "Wiffs" Burns
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:18 pm
Posts: 11641
Love Burns.

He's a future Pro Bowler.

Zero doubt about it.

_________________
86n96 wrote:
I might've finally been right about something.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artie "Wiffs" Burns
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:55 pm
Posts: 673
KC wrote:
Love Burns.

He's a future Pro Bowler.

Zero doubt about it.


That would be quite nice, but I just don't see it with him.

Occasionally beaten, few PBU's, not good vs the run, and just sort of meh watching him play.

Hope you're assessment turns out to be true.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artie "Wiffs" Burns
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:45 am
Posts: 783
Ike Taylor just named Haden and Burns the number three, top duo in the NFL. That's after Stafford racked up 400 yds. He must not have seen the Detroit tape.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Vertical Steel and 20 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group