It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Pizza in Pittsburgh: The Vinny Pie!!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:46 pm 

https://theincline.com/2017/11/10/intro ... izza-park/

Post subject: Re: Best Pizza in Pittsburgh: The Vinny Pie!!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:33 am 

I was just home for my nephew's wedding, and met Vince's granddaughter at the Pizza Park. I told her quite a few stories about her grandfather, we laughed quite a bit, and I got a large Vince with everything but fish. Man is that great pizza. Thanks Swiss for posting this. I think I will get them to fly one to LA.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:32 am 

I thought they closed.

Ultimately, America's answer to the intolerant man is diversity, the very diversity which our heritage of religious freedom has inspired.

Robert F. Kennedy...50 years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:09 am 

ChicagoSteel wrote:
I thought they closed.

The Ardmore Boulevard location was closed for a couple years a couple years back. The whole while though, the Plum Boro location was open. Now...Ardmore's re-opened, and Plum closed. Ardmore is renovated inside some actually, not the first room where the pizzas get made, but the bar was turned into more table space. Outside is still the same.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:42 am 

Was hanging out at my buddy's coffee shop this morning, pulled up this esteemed site (see what I did there :D )... saw the name of the thread and immediately swiss popped into my head as the likely creator of this thread. Scrolled right on my phone and sure enough, it was swiss.

True story and make of it what you will. :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:50 am 
The pizza in that pic just looks like a regular old pizza to me.

Still dont get what makes this pizza that great.

Dough...sauce...cheese...toppings....not that fucking hard is it ?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:24 pm 

SteelerChef wrote:
The pizza in that pic just looks like a regular old pizza to me.

Still dont get what makes this pizza that great.

Dough...sauce...cheese...toppings....not that fucking hard is it ?

It's the greaz, STD!

Check out their Facebook page....Vincent's Pizza Park...scroll down a ways, get past the contest bullshit. There's some great pics of their pies. I've told this story more than once....my friend, Stupid Charlie...he wouldn't believe me that it was the best pizza in the world. Brought him there once, 30 years ago, and he's been a believer ever since. When he finished graduate school in Boston, some of his friends told him they would take him out to dinner anywhere east of the Mississippi. Charlie's response...."Vinnie's Pizza in Pittsburgh." And off they went for the weekend.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:25 pm 
Ive toyed with the idea of opening a pizza shop. Lol. Lancaster Berks and Chester Counties have damn few genuinely good pizzas. Good subs and cheesesteaks are a little more prevalent but not many.

I think a good Detroit style pie is hard to beat. The thick caramelized crust is what puts those over the top for me.

Doesnt seem like Pittsburgh has a particular style per se just some great pizzaiolas

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:36 pm 

SteelerChef wrote:
Ive toyed with the idea of opening a pizza shop. Lol. Lancaster Berks and Chester Counties have damn few genuinely good pizzas. Good subs and cheesesteaks are a little more prevalent but not many.

I think a good Detroit style pie is hard to beat. The thick caramelized crust is what puts those over the top for me.

Doesnt seem like Pittsburgh has a particular style per se just some great pizzaiolas

For years, the only one touching the pie was Vince. If he was going on vacation, the place closed. Then, about 20 years ago, his protege...guy with a good dago name, Dave Miller, started making the pies...Just as good. Dave's gone now, too. The granddaughter, Lisa, who moved to Pittsburgh from California recently, makes some pies. She's posted on this esteemed website.

Tons of toppings, pizzas are misshapen, hence no boxes...to go on slabs of cardboard, wrapped in heavy paper, stapled on the corners.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:38 pm 

SteelerChef wrote:

Spent four years in Lebanon County....can't say I ever had a pizza that was any good.