It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SBI: Week 15
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:47 pm 

SBI this week is for the Pittsburgh Steelers to vanquish the mother-fuckin' New England Patriots on the hallowed ground of Heinz Field. There's a few other things at play though, around the AFC. And here's the question....do we root against teams that we would rather the Black & Gold not face in the playoffs, or do we root FOR those teams, hopeful that they'll knock off some of the other favorites in the tournament.

Specifically.....
*Texans vs. Jaguars: Do we root against the Jaguars at 1pm, thus being guaranteed of maintaining a two-game lead if Steelers lose at 4:25. Or, do we root for them, knowing that should Steelers win, the Jags would have the inside path for the #2 seed, relegating the Patriots to the Wild Card Round.
*Chiefs vs. Chargers: Seems as though we would rather have Steelers face the Chefs in the playoffs, but then again, maybe we would like to see the Bolts going to Foxboro.
*Ravens at Clowns: Ditto above

Few notes on Steelers-Ravens:
*Perhaps moreso than any Steelers game ever, still can't believe we won that game. I was hopeful throughout, but hope faded when Ravens extended their lead to 9 with about 6 minutes left.
*Good debate, with no clear answer, on Tomlin's management of Steelers final drive once reaching the Ravens 30. Should he have stuck to the ground, eked out whatever yardage he could, exhausted the clock, sent Boz out for the game-winner without about 10 seconds left? Or...did he do the right thing by trying to get closer, making the winning kick a gimme. Let's remember a couple things from the week before against Cinci. With first down at the Bungals 24, Steelers first down run lost three yards. Then, despite our remembering that Steelers ran down the clock, Steelers threw on 2nd down...bubble screen, but still a pass. More the issue was the play selection, and how both 2nd & 3rd downs were nearly disastrous, a possible pick, and a near-sack. Christ , Ben gets sacked on 3rd down (was on his way down), and Boz has to attempt a 53 yarder to avoid the loss.

Looking forward:
*I'm not necessarily believing in this Sunday, but neither am I of the mind that look out, now Patriots are really pissed because they lost last night. Damn...Patriots will never lose two in a row. Fuck that shit!!
*Conventional wisdom is that Steelers pound it on the ground, attack Patriots weakness, keep Patriots O off of the field. I think Steelers go balanced....score what they can.
*Lastly....the two frustrations from last year's AFCCG:
-Do NOT throw the low percentage pass on yard-to-go (despite winning the game on the bomb to AB last week). Move the sticks; keep possession. Value every possession.
-Do NOT sit back in that soft zone.
-Be real interesting to see the plan for Mike LB this week.

Once again, 4:25 Sunday...lights go off in my house, curtains drawn. I'm invited to a Christmas Party down the street at 2pm. Hostess has not a clue that it's Steelers-Patriots. I'll go at 2, tie one, go the fuck home....watch the Steelers BEAT the New England Patriots!! Believing!

Post subject: Re: SBI: Week 15
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:57 pm 

My son’s home from school...wants to see Star Wars. Sunday’s the only day we can go on the weekend.

So I told him the noon showing, or he’s waiting a couple more days.

I have to be back before kickoff, and either way will be in no mood to see a movie afterwards.

So noon it is...something to distract me until close to game time.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:05 pm 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3x1JrLhidkk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:16 pm 

Ha! I chose the Saturday night showing of the movie to keep it off my Sunday slate altogether. Don't worry, no spoilers here!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:21 am 

One item I forgot from Sunday that bears some analysis. In the game thread, on the Ravens final possession, Zeke posted that the Steelers should have accepted the first down motion penalty, put the Ravens in 1st & 15 rather than 2nd & 10, but more importantly, five yards further from Justin Tucker's field goal range.

Similar to our other discussions where we emphasize that end-of-game, oftentimes the time remaining trumps timeouts, might this be one where the yards/field position trumps downs?? After that play there were 37 seconds remaining, no timeouts for Baltimore. One would need to assume that Steelers would be giving up the middle of the field as was the case on the following play, a 13-yard gain to Mike Wallace, after which only 21 seconds remained.

There's certainly a case to be made to take the penalty as, regardless of first downs, Baltimore had only a limited number of plays remaining to reach, at minimum, the Steelers 45...setting them back five yards may have been more important than putting them at 2nd down rather than 1st.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:45 am 

swissvale72 wrote:
One item I forgot from Sunday that bears some analysis. In the game thread, on the Ravens final possession, Zeke posted that the Steelers should have accepted the first down motion penalty, put the Ravens in 1st & 15 rather than 2nd & 10, but more importantly, five yards further from Justin Tucker's field goal range.

Similar to our other discussions where we emphasize that end-of-game, oftentimes the time remaining trumps timeouts, might this be one where the yards/field position trumps downs?? After that play there were 37 seconds remaining, no timeouts for Baltimore. One would need to assume that Steelers would be giving up the middle of the field as was the case on the following play, a 13-yard gain to Mike Wallace, after which only 21 seconds remained.

There's certainly a case to be made to take the penalty as, regardless of first downs, Baltimore had only a limited number of plays remaining to reach, at minimum, the Steelers 45...setting them back five yards may have been more important than putting them at 2nd down rather than 1st.

I disagree with that analysis because five yards is peanuts in today’s NFL...easy to make up.

Losing the down was far more important...you need the Ravens to run out of downs.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:45 am 

swissvale72 wrote:

Totally agree. Was scratching my head on that one when it was happening live.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:48 am 

Jeemie wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:

I disagree with that analysis because five yards is peanuts in today’s NFL...easy to make up.

Losing the down was far more important...you need the Ravens to run out of downs.

Distance from Tucker's needed LOS > time left

At least for me

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:45 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:

Ordinarily, I would agree with you, Jeems, and would have were there 1:37 left rather than :37. But there were a limited number of plays that could have been run. And if Ravens were able to more the ball that far in that little time, chances are that a 4th down would not have come into play.

Honestly, didn't occur to me at the time that Steelers should have accepted the penalty, but once the issue was raised by Zeke, I thought he was probably right.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:42 am 

BarryFoster wrote:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3x1JrLhidkk

Guy's a jackass.