It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Coaching Flaw
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:44 am 

Stosh-67 wrote:
Quote:
I'm bitter over the play, but I am pretty sure it hit the turf. I see no way that it didn't.

When does pretty sure = conclusive.

Still waiting for a replay that shows the ball hitting the grass.
And a replay showing that his hand was not under the ball....if it even hit the grass.

Still waiting.

Pretty sure........is not conclusive.

There were at least two angles where it was clear the ball hit the ground before James got it back- conclusive enough for me.

I am not going to blame the refs. We were in that situation because we were stupid.

Bill Belichick seems to do that to other coaches. Forces them to be even dumber than they usually are because of his mystique.

If Mike Tomlin didn't learn his lesson this time that you go with what brung ya, and let it all hang out to beat New England, he never will.

I don't know how you play small ball starting almost from the start of the second half and expect to contain New England. I don't know the thought process that gets you to that point.

I don't know the thought process that tells you "It's second and 23...let's trust Fitzgerald Touissaint to make a play to get it to third and manageable over Ben Roethlisberger".

I don't know how you take Martavis Bryant, who showed he came to play, off the field when your star receiver is done for the game. I don't know how you do it.

And I don't know how you don't make someone OTHER than Rob Gronkowski beat you. I don't know how you do it.

The Steelers proved they have the horses to go toe to toe with New England. Now the coaches have to understand it's time to unleash those horses.

If you're going to go down, go down with guns blazing instead of going with half measures.

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:32 pm 

If/when we see these fuckers in Foxboro, Tomlin needs to request a league official on the sideline to monitor headset interference. Can't let them get away with that bullshit again. By the time the league got from the press booth to the sideline, they had switched the frequency back, and they pulled that shit twice.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:42 pm 

86n96 wrote:
If/when we see these fuckers in Foxboro, Tomlin needs to request a league official on the sideline to monitor headset interference. Can't let them get away with that bullshit again. By the time the league got from the press booth to the sideline, they had switched the frequency back, and they pulled that shit twice.

He also needs to have his team practice as if they will not have reliable headset communication.

They should start doing it now.

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:54 pm 

most of this season the refs left the call on the field stand when serious doubt like yesterday play but the found indisputable evidence

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:59 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Old School Steeler wrote:
Cowher anticipated League bullshit when Troy made spectacular pic in Indy. He prepared them, had them ready to deal with league screwing us out of possession. He kept them focused and ready for the outcome.

Tomlin did no such thing. They should have prepared for league fuckery and applied what if. They didn't, they assumed call would stand, didn't prepare. We saw shots of JJ on sideline. Precious time being lost. Should have had plays ready. Instead panic and lack of leadership lost a winnable pivotal game.

The league also assumed, assumed the ball hit the turf, assumed JJs hand or fingers were not under the ball. If they were under ball is allowed to move, possession was not lost to the ground.

Tomlin failed in a very big spot. After 10 years he's still deficient.

I'm bitter over the play, but I am pretty sure it hit the turf. I see no way that it didn't.

Even if it did (and I agree with you that it did), it shouldn't matter. By the time JJ reached across the goal line, he had already caught the ball and survived through the ground (his knees and hip hit the ground). He then reached across, and the ball came out upon after his secondary impact with the ground (his elbow hitting). JJ was only able to reach with the ball because he had already caught it. Even the NFL SVP of Officiating Al Riveron said that Ben "complet[ed] a pass to James" in the explanation he put out on Twitter justifying the reversal. With that in mind, I don't agree that the NFL is properly interpreting its rule.

Between this call and the mystery interception against the Ravens earlier in the season that kept the Ravens alive in a game on the verge of approaching a blow out (also after a review), I have no confidence in the integrity of the NFL review process. I don't trust the input from New York.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:06 pm 

W&M_Steeler wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
Old School Steeler wrote:
Cowher anticipated League bullshit when Troy made spectacular pic in Indy. He prepared them, had them ready to deal with league screwing us out of possession. He kept them focused and ready for the outcome.

Tomlin did no such thing. They should have prepared for league fuckery and applied what if. They didn't, they assumed call would stand, didn't prepare. We saw shots of JJ on sideline. Precious time being lost. Should have had plays ready. Instead panic and lack of leadership lost a winnable pivotal game.

The league also assumed, assumed the ball hit the turf, assumed JJs hand or fingers were not under the ball. If they were under ball is allowed to move, possession was not lost to the ground.

Tomlin failed in a very big spot. After 10 years he's still deficient.

Even if it did (and I agree with you that it did), it shouldn't matter. By the time JJ reached across the goal line, he had already caught the ball and survived through the ground (his knees and hip hit the ground). He then reached across, and the ball came out upon after his secondary impact with the ground (his elbow hitting). JJ was only able to reach with the ball because he had already caught it. Even the NFL SVP of Officiating Al Riveron said that Ben "complet[ed] a pass to James" in the explanation he put out on Twitter justifying the reversal. With that in mind, I don't agree that the NFL is properly interpreting its rule.

Between this call and the mystery interception against the Ravens earlier in the season that kept the Ravens alive in a game on the verge of approaching a blow out (also after a review), I have no confidence in the integrity of the NFL review process. I don't trust the input from New York.

They’ve been including the reach as part of the “going to the ground” from the beginning of the rule.

So they’ve been misinterpreting it from the beginning.

This is what happens when you replace common sense with a hard and fast rule.

You think the rule makes everything clearer...actually it doesn’t.

We’ve been playing football for a hundred years on many levels. No one ever had a problem understanding what a catch was. Then a couple of tricky exceptions to this understanding pop up and the NFL...and NFL alone (this rule exists in no other organized football league)...thinks we need a new rule.

I mean...what James did is most analagous to what Cooks did against Houston that WAS ruled a TD. He landed with two feet in the EZ and then jumped. They correct;y ruled the jump as happening AFTER he had completed the process of the catch and making contact with the ground.

James...the same thing. His knee touched down...he pushed OFF his knee to reach into the EZ.