It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can we stop comparing Dez and James catches
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:41 am 

JJ caught it then broke the plane before losing control.

Dez caught the ball and when he went to the gound (inside the 2 or 1 yard line, I believe) he kind of trapped the ball and it moved.

When you catch a ball short of the goal line, but in mid-air cross the plane before you lose control it should be a TD.

The people comparing the two as if they are the same are completely wrong. JJ should have scored the game winner.

Post subject: Re: Can we stop comparing Dez and James catches
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:46 am 

There is not one fan or person whose ever watched a football game anywhere in this country in the entire history of the game who would not say... rules aside... that James did not catch the ball and score...

....except the NFL rulebook.

The game sucks

The people running the game suck.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:50 am 

ToddHaleysNineIron wrote:
There is not one fan or person whose ever watched a football game anywhere in this country in the entire history of the game who would not say... rules aside... that James did not catch the ball and score...

The game sucks

Watched with my friend from Boston, who is a Pats fan. No lie, his words:
"Damn, you guys obviously won, but I'll take the W."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:54 am 

We knew what a catch was before we had replay to get it right! Thank God I lived before replay ruined the sport. Lynn Swann's Super Bowl X highlight reel, overturned upon further review, Immaculate Reception? Just an overturned TD in a 7-6 loss. It's not because of this loss, I've hated review since it started and it only gets more invasive every year.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:06 am 

I know, I know James wasn't considered a RB yet right? He didn't secure the fucking ball then take 2 steps right?

Fuck that!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:18 am 

Hinestuff wrote:
I know, I know James wasn't considered a RB yet right? He didn't secure the fucking ball then take 2 steps right?

Fuck that!

I'm with Kodiak...I'm of the opinion that if you can try and reach out to stretch the ball across the goal line, you've secured it.

I know the stupid rulebook sees it differently.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:25 am 

...more apt comparison is to Santonio Holmes early in '08 AFCCG vs. Baltimore...almost exactly the same.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:46 am 

Still Lit wrote:
ToddHaleysNineIron wrote:

The game sucks

Watched with my friend from Boston, who is a Pats fan. No lie, his words:
"Damn, you guys obviously won, but I'll take the W."

aagree...I was at sports bar...prob 100 steelers fans cheering...bout 10 pat fans sad.. everyone ; I mean everyone was stunned by reversal..pats fans shocked and thrilled..i personally just thought it was a normal review. going thru motions..noway in hell did I think it reversed..silly me. silly everybody.. bullshit nfl .

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:48 am 

swissvale72 wrote:
...more apt comparison is to Santonio Holmes early in '08 AFCCG vs. Baltimore...almost exactly the same.

Shit- I forgot about that one.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:03 am 

how come pats are never fucked over on controversial shit? tuck rule? always benefit from bullshit calls..its shady as fuck..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:35 am 

bam morris wrote:
how come pats are never fucked over on controversial shit? tuck rule? always benefit from bullshit calls..its shady as fuck..

It's funny because this isn't even the most outrageous call they've benefited from this year. That overturned TD vs the Jets was really something else.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:39 am 

COS wrote:
bam morris wrote:

It's funny because this isn't even the most outrageous call they've benefited from this year. That overturned TD vs the Jets was really something else.

exactly...question..say a second after outlaw sticks all over goal line its knocked from his hands by a defender? touchdown? we got hosed..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:46 am 

If anything, Dez has a better argument for his play being a catch more so than James does.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:53 am 

bam morris wrote:
COS wrote:
bam morris wrote:

exactly...question..say a second after outlaw sticks all over goal line its knocked from his hands by a defender? touchdown? we got hosed..

How about breaking the plane going out of bounds? You don’t have to land in bounds. Countless times guys have stretched over GL from OOB or had ball slapped away

Post subject: Re: Can we stop comparing Dez and James catches?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:00 am 

COS wrote:
bam morris wrote:

It doesn’t happen often, but the Patriots occasionally do get screwed over by a controversial call.

One I can remember was a 2013 game v the Panthers, where a late Panthers interception in the EZ that sealed the game was upheld after the refs initially threw a flag for DPI and then picked it up...and it was DPI.

Listen, I believe the NFL uses its officiating power to keep games close, but the best teams get the calls. And the Patriots are one of the best teams.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:15 am 

TB wrote:
If anything, Dez has a better argument for his play being a catch more so than James does.

Maybe.

But you have to admit...it's utterly absurd that a guy can catch a ball, be on his knees with possession, twist his body and reach out across the goal line with possession, and then after crossing the line with possession have the TD taken away. I just cannot understand that.