It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Instant Replay
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:07 am 

It's ONLY ME, I know that, everyone wants them to "get it right" even if it takes an extra hour, but I've felt negativity towards replay all along! Always hated replay in every sport. Replay was meant to fix obvious mistakes, but they've sunk their tentacles so deep into it they are looking for slight wobbling of balls in super slow motion. Before replay, what a catch was, was not that big a question, at some times it was somewhat subjective, but nobody was really upset. IMO, if they review 100 plays, probably 95 aren't worth reviewing, and the call made was "good enough", trying to be perfect has ruined sports. I'd be happy if they just eliminated replay and accepted "errors" most errors where never noticed anyways until they started demanding constant replay. Or at least severely restrict it, have someone in the booth reverse errors that are obvious looking at it in regular speed if you can decide in less than a minute. I've become a soccer fan in recent years, and I'm sick of the Ass-HOLE American announcers demanding replay! I'm glad America doesn't rule that sport. Maybe the people in the SMART countries can keep them from ruining another sport. Basically, they aren't getting things perfect anyways. They'd need to review EVERY PLAY thoroughly, they are missing holding, interference, motion, formation penalties all over the field all game long, review every play. Also institute microphones on every player, I'm sure there is verbal taunting that isn't properly flagged all the time! Fix this game! The worst thing about replay? You can't be sure when to be happy or not, lol.

Post subject: Re: Instant Replay
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:10 am 

I didn't get this line of thought until I saw replay in baseball. It's an abomination.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:45 pm 

If there was any goddamn common sense in the world, the replay would be fine. Like DO NOT overturn any questionable judgment calls, Only outright missed calls that don't even need a second look. If you need 10 different angles and 60 seconds of thought then let it be!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:09 pm 

Nick79 wrote:
It's ONLY ME, I know that, everyone wants them to "get it right" even if it takes an extra hour, but I've felt negativity towards replay all along! Always hated replay in every sport. Replay was meant to fix obvious mistakes, but they've sunk their tentacles so deep into it they are looking for slight wobbling of balls in super slow motion. Before replay, what a catch was, was not that big a question, at some times it was somewhat subjective, but nobody was really upset. IMO, if they review 100 plays, probably 95 aren't worth reviewing, and the call made was "good enough", trying to be perfect has ruined sports. I'd be happy if they just eliminated replay and accepted "errors" most errors where never noticed anyways until they started demanding constant replay. Or at least severely restrict it, have someone in the booth reverse errors that are obvious looking at it in regular speed if you can decide in less than a minute. I've become a soccer fan in recent years, and I'm sick of the Ass-HOLE American announcers demanding replay! I'm glad America doesn't rule that sport. Maybe the people in the SMART countries can keep them from ruining another sport. Basically, they aren't getting things perfect anyways. They'd need to review EVERY PLAY thoroughly, they are missing holding, interference, motion, formation penalties all over the field all game long, review every play. Also institute microphones on every player, I'm sure there is verbal taunting that isn't properly flagged all the time! Fix this game! The worst thing about replay? You can't be sure when to be happy or not, lol.

I 100% agree.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:20 am 

There needs to be some form of replay to fix the obviously egregious bad calls. I do NOT want the Steelers getting screwed and losing a playoff game because of some bad call with no ability to fix it. But they could surely go back to what it was like when replay was first used. I don't remember it being as intrusive then.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:27 am 

I've rarely seen replays where I didn't think what the call SHOULD be was pretty obvious, despite whatever the rule says.

And that's the problem. First, they've completely lost touch with what constitutes "indisputable" to overturn. Especially infuriating with JJ - the whole world knows that's a catch, AND there's not clear indisputable proof to overturn.

How in the world do you attempt to remove human error/judgement from what a catch is, and end-up introducing MORE error/judgement and the occasional result where obvious catches and incompletions suddenly are not after review?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:14 am 

next thing you know, kids playing football in the street or park are gonna start yelling

"No TD! You didn't survive the ground!"

What an abomination, Bryants was a catch, Santonios was a catch and the Outlaws was a td catch!

Period.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:27 am 

GreekSteel wrote:
next thing you know, kids playing football in the street or park are gonna start yelling

What an abomination, Bryants was a catch, Santonios was a catch and the Outlaws was a td catch!

Period.
Objective reality in the United States is dead. From sports to politics to entertainment to culture to you name it.

You have the power? You dictate reality the way you want to see it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:34 am 

GreekSteel wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:54 am 

Poltargyst wrote:
There needs to be some form of replay to fix the obviously egregious bad calls. I do NOT want the Steelers getting screwed and losing a playoff game because of some bad call with no ability to fix it. But they could surely go back to what it was like when replay was first used. I don't remember it being as intrusive then.

You mean like last Sunday? They where screwed not because of an egregious bad call, they where screwed by micromanaging a 50/50 judgment call, where the call on the field was just as good or better than the reversal. This happens a lot, but it stuck out like a sore thumb when it happens on the Steelers, beating the Patriots, with 20 seconds left in a game to decide the AFC #1 seed on National TV! So once again, the team that should be at the Top of the NFL Power Rankings decided the game, THE ZEBRAS!