It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SBI...Week 16
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:04 pm 

I might as well get this over with. My position has moderated since last night, when I was swearing off NFL football, mother-fuckin' the league at every turn (I'm still doing that), and trying, unsuccessfully, to go to bed prior to 9pm.

I'm in middle of those of you bedwetting, those of you imitating Chicken Little, and those of you predicting that all of this works out in the Steelers favor and the Black & Gold will beat the dastardly Patriots in their own house in Foxboro in another month.

First...I did take over the TV at the hostess's house during the 1st quarter at her Christmas party. Weren't many watching, but then some dick tries to turn up the volume, changes the station instead and tries to tell me it's still set on the correct station...ABC. I had to yank the remote from his lest I miss a play. Anyway, returned home to my solitude at the close of 1Q.

First off, being honest, as soon as I saw the first replay, I knew the Steelers were getting fucked. I saw the ball move, knew that would be the point of contention, and first hoped beyond hope that no one would notice, that the play would not be reviewed, then hoped beyond hope that somehow we would catch a break. No such luck!! And I really have no idea why it took Romo and Nance so damn long to arrive at the conclusion that it was the catch itself that was being reviewed, not whether JJ had made it to the endzone. For those of you seeking a comparison, the most apt one is Santonio Holmes in the '08 AFCCG. We were shocked in the first quarter when Baltimore challenged the ruling on the field. I even forget what the ruling was. But same deal, he makes the catch, extends for the endzone, ball comes out when there's contact with the ground.

More day goes on, and I don't have much of a beef with Mike Tomlin after this...BUT...I DO have a beef with Ben's absolute dumbfuckedness, throwing into what amounted to quintuplet coverage to the lone receiver out on the 3rd down pattern. And....fake spike.....what the fuck!! Never occurred to ME that Steelers would spike, did they really think they would fool the Patriots. And...WHY would the Patriots not continue to play it straight up? Not like there's a special defense to combat a spike!!

My biggest problem otherwise was the 2nd & 23 draw to Fitz Touissaint. It's not impossible to pick up a first down on 2nd & 23...is impossible though if your 2nd down play is a draw to Fitzgeral Touissaint. The play-calling once Steelers got the ball back up 5 with 3-something remaining. I had no real problem with the first down run, and then 2nd & 3rd down were both called pass plays.

My other problem, actually...is wither Martavis Bryant when down on the 10. Dude DID step up yesterday. Dude is way tall. He's out the game, and we let the 2nd & down fateful passes ride on DHB & Eli Rogers? Although....not going to badmouth Eli. He's stepped up lately as well. We're going to need him to continue to do so over the next two weeks.

Going forward....SBI is simple:
*Buffalo over New England (could happen, but I doubt it).
*SF over Jax (really COULD happen, given how '69ers have been playing lately). I DO think that Jax will drop one of final two.

Steelers need to hold serve, beat Texans in Houston on Xmas Day, then Clowns at Heinz on New Year's Eve. That may not be as easy as one thinks. Clowns can be tough, and they've got Josh Gordon back. Oh....been invited to Foxboro by a biz associate for New Year's Eve Pats-Jets game. Fuck that shit!! Not going to that fuckin' dump while Steelers are involved in a meaningful game.

So...looking further ahead.....here's how #2 seed COULD work out for Steelers. It's this simple. I think it will be either the KC Chefs of Batimore Ravens visiting Foxboro 1st round. I think either one of them are a better bet (as they've done it) to beat Patriots in their own house than are the Jax Jaguars. Steelers will need to get revenge on the Jags.

Now...as for a potential trip to Foxboro. CAN Steelers win there? Sure...they CAN. I'm nowhere near as confident though as some of you asshats, primarily because the Steeler offense seems to function way better in the friendly confines of Heinz Field. Think about it, even while winning....Steelers score in the teens at Arrowhead and in Detroit. Steelers have 3 on the board at halftime against in both Indy & Cinci.

I dunno....AB will be back. For a guy though, that places so much emphasis on being just right physically, working, working, working....will he be in top form? We will have Joe Haden back as well.

Certainly if/when the time comes, I'll be believing. Yesterday though...I was REALLY believing. Doubt I'll get to that level. There's Charlie Brown...there's that Little Bitch Lucy. Yesterday, we kicked the mother-fuckin' ball. Then some fuckhead in NYC told us we didn't...had got it all wrong.

Merry Fuckin' Christmas, Asshats. Actually, fuck that...not feeling very festive.

Post subject: Re: SBI...Week 16
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:23 pm 

More I think about the fake spike...angrier I get...for one of two reasons.

a) That was really the call and the Steelers’ braintrust thought it would catch the uber-disciplined Patriots napping or

b) It was a miscommunication because Ben really wanted to spike and/or thought they should, and the coaches disagreed but didn’t get a good play called in

Either one pisses me off because it shows a complete failure in situational management.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:32 pm 

Jeemie wrote:

a) That was really the call and the Steelers’ braintrust thought it would catch the uber-disciplined Patriots napping or

b) It was a miscommunication because Ben really wanted to spike and/or thought they should, and the coaches disagreed but didn’t get a good play called in

Either one pisses me off because it shows a complete failure in situational management.

You had made that point last night, Jeems....and it's absolutely true.

WHY would they think their last shot at winning in regulation was best with one fuckin' guy in the pattern???

Makes me sick watching the replay with our best options (JuJu, Leveon) standing there picking their collective asses.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:37 pm 

And how about the 2nd to last playcall? No TO's and you throw the ball 5+ yards short of the EZ, to the left hash a good 10 yards from OOB.

Stupid call.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:40 pm 

If we are able to walk into Foxborough with a healthy Vance McDonald and Marcus Gilbert, we will be able to run on those motherfuckers.

If we have a healthy LB, AB, an ascending MB, the swaggering JuJu, and the aforementioned McDonald, we can win in their stadium. If the coaches just straight let Ben run the show. And don't fucking Turtle.

Plus, by the MLB position will be better battle tested. Get Haden and a more experienced Sutton.

Fuck those NE assholes and the refs.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:44 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
If we are able to walk into Foxborough with a healthy Vance McDonald and Marcus Gilbert, we will be able to run on those motherfuckers.

If we have a healthy LB, AB, an ascending MB, the swaggering JuJu, and the aforementioned McDonald, we can win in their stadium. If the coaches just straight let Ben run the show. And don't fucking Turtle.

Plus, by the MLB position will be better battle tested. Get Haden and a more experienced Sutton.

You predict we win in NE? You are insane.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:52 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
Still Lit wrote:

You predict we win in NE? You are insane.

I predict, like Swiss, that the Steelers can win in NE, yes. And I fully expect you not to bother watching should it come to pass since apparently you know we cannot.

Does that seem right or will you just tune in to watch the Steelers lose?

Private Hudsons, the lot of you.

I saw nothing in that game that suggests we cannot beat NE in their house if we have all of our available starters.

Our team is more talented. Put the ball in Ben's hands. Do not turtle at any point. Put Haden on Gronk and let the D line try to kill Brady.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:52 pm 

Ben in his post game presser said he called for the spike, but Haley was in his ear telling him to “run the play”...this could mean that prior to the 2nd down play they had two plays called in case they were stopped with the clock running. Maybe Ben didn’t think they would have enough time, I dunno, but I am betting they had 2 plays called. In my opinion, the entire situation could have been avoided and overtime guaranteed if Ben wasn’t a dumbass not only on the int, but more importantly throwing a 1 yard pass inside the numbers on 2nd down with zero timeouts left while outside the pocket, he should have thrown that ball away which would have given them time to huddle up and call a play for 3rd down.

I wish we had a different coordinator, but this game isn’t on Haley, it is 100% on Ben. While he played great, almost flawlessly for 59:30, he flat out choked on the last two plays.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:03 pm 

StillerDownSouth wrote:
Ben in his post game presser said he called for the spike, but Haley was in his ear telling him to “run the play”...this could mean that prior to the 2nd down play they had two plays called in case they were stopped with the clock running. Maybe Ben didn’t think they would have enough time, I dunno, but I am betting they had 2 plays called. In my opinion, the entire situation could have been avoided and overtime guaranteed if Ben wasn’t a dumbass not only on the int, but more importantly throwing a 1 yard pass inside the numbers on 2nd down with zero timeouts left while outside the pocket, he should have thrown that ball away which would have given them time to huddle up and call a play for 3rd down.

I wish we had a different coordinator, but this game isn’t on Haley, it is 100% on Ben. While he played great, almost flawlessly for 59:30, he flat out choked on the last two plays.

I’m certainly not absolving Ben.

But it is another piece of evidence the Steelers in general don’t think these late game situations through thoroughly enough in practice.

When there’s the pressure of a moving clock, they all seem muddled in their thinking.

B2B will now quote their end of half/end of game stats. I’ll remind him that most of those times, the team is driving for a late FG...infinitely easier to set up for than a late TD.

I’ll remind him that many times we need to get a TD and we’re up against the clock, the Steelers make some curious decisions and look discombobulated.

Even when they succeed, it’s dicey because had they failed, they likely run out of time and lose.

Bell run against San Diego in 2015 where he barely got in. Brown last year against the Ravens.

The result is a successful score...that doesn’t mean the play they call is always smart.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:03 pm 

I too think the Lers’ can win in NE, but they will not win in NE. I’ve seen enough to know that Tomlin will not let that happen.

Call me Private Hudson, Rock Hudson, Jennifer Hudson, whatever. It pains me to say it but Tomlin will not beat that team.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:11 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
I too think the Lers’ can win in NE, but they will not win in NE. I’ve seen enough to know that Tomlin will not let that happen.

Call me Private Hudson, Rock Hudson, Jennifer Hudson, whatever. It pains me to say it but Tomlin will not beat that team.

Mike Tomlin needs to pull a 2005 Bill Cowher and go completely against type.

Although Cowher was much more flexible than we give him credit for. Tomlin is actually WAY more conservative and stubborn than Cowher ever was.

We can have all the talent in the world. A Mike Tomlin-coached Steeler will never...EVER...beat a Belichick-coached Patriots team until Tomlin learns to stop living in his fears and play the entire 60 minutes balls out to win.

I have no faith the Steelers will beat New England in Pittsburgh...in New England...at a neutral site...until he shows he’s learned this lesson.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:13 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:

Believing they can win in NE is inconsistent with the belief that they will not. The latter is a negation of the former.

Private Hudson is fine by me.

Believe assholes.

This is season is far from over.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:58 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

You had made that point last night, Jeems....and it's absolutely true.

WHY would they think their last shot at winning in regulation was best with one fuckin' guy in the pattern???

Makes me sick watching the replay with our best options (JuJu, Leveon) standing there picking their collective asses.

very true....reflecting here..why the hell weren't 2 plays already set when the long review was in place? were they that caught off guard the catch was no good? ok guys. if call reversed heres our 2 plays and then a kick if we fail.. and we get those 2 shitty plays ?? no bell? no Bryant? juju? even outlaw again? no. we get a bench player dhb...if bell catches that ball in that same spot he could score juking and trucking a guy..dhb? wtf!!..and a semi trick play with one guy..dumb..ben was foolhardy trying to fit that ball in to a hole that wasn't..more dumb.. I'm still furious and hardly slept last night mulling my anger..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:07 pm 

Still Lit wrote:

Private Hudsons, the lot of you.

(Steeler Nation after the INT)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:28 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:

Mike Tomlin needs to pull a 2005 Bill Cowher and go completely against type.

Although Cowher was much more flexible than we give him credit for. Tomlin is actually WAY more conservative and stubborn than Cowher ever was.

We can have all the talent in the world. A Mike Tomlin-coached Steeler will never...EVER...beat a Belichick-coached Patriots team until Tomlin learns to stop living in his fears and play the entire 60 minutes balls out to win.

I have no faith the Steelers will beat New England in Pittsburgh...in New England...at a neutral site...until he shows he’s learned this lesson.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:28 pm 

No Shaughnessy article this time Swiss?

Def don’t link it....salt in the reality wound. Or like ripping a scab of former almost pats opponent wins

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:35 pm 

BethlehemSteel wrote:
No Shaughnessy article this time Swiss?

Def don’t link it....salt in the reality wound. Or like ripping a scab of former almost pats opponent wins

One thing he was wrong about...he predicted Tomlin would come out with the same zone D vs. the Pats. I don't think he was expecting the Steelers to come so close to winning.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:43 pm 

I think we all held the belief they would do zone

The opening plays certainly were but they settled into the right mix sans the gronk plays

No turning back now at least some positive change was established against NE

Now to play a full non turtle game

There must be some real divisions with Ben and Haley with all the dumbfuckery at the end

Egos better get shelved fast and let Ben the Ben
The cadence to conservative in the 4th really threw off the equilibrium

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:26 am 

The greater part of Boston talk radio that I caught today was focused on the Chinese fire drill at the end of the game....disbelief that Steelers, and particularly Ben, had "pissed their pants" at the end. Comment was that they (Pats fans) thought they would never see that from Ben. Over and over about how there was one receiver in the pattern, everyone else standing their picking their asses.

They're not wrong....and going forward, thinking about a return matchup with these douches, THAT is the most concerning. What the FUCK were they doing during the delay??

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:49 am 

[quote="swissvale72"]The greater part of Boston talk radio that I caught today was focused on the Chinese fire drill at the end of the game....disbelief that Steelers, and particularly Ben, had "pissed their pants" at the end. Comment was that they (Pats fans) thought they would never see that from Ben. Over and over about how there was one receiver in the pattern, everyone else standing their picking their asses.

They're not wrong....and going forward, thinking about a return matchup with these douches, THAT is the most concerning. What the FUCK were they doing during the delay??[/quote]

This is exactly where I'm at. The WTF were they doing during the delay is mindboggling as well as the turtle ball with handing off to Fitz on 2nd and 23 (I think 23yds) Complete WTF. Turtle ball and the lack of an answer around WTF during the delay are my two things I keep asking and it's infuriating as hell.