It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Reversed TD catch catch rule Mega merged thread
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:43 pm 

Quote:
"Item 1. Player Going to the Ground.

A player is considered to be going to the ground if he does not remain upright long enough to demonstrate that he is clearly a runner. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball until after his initial contact with the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete."

I mean, the rule sucks. It's the same thing that cost the Cowboys the NFL title on the Dez Bryant catch that was overturned a few years ago. But looking at it objectively, they were justified in overturning the catch.

Now whether this rule should be modified when a guy is reaching out to cross the plane of the end zone, that's a different discussion. The rule sucks. But the pass to James was by rule an incomplete pass.

Post subject: Re: NFL catch rule on a player going to the ground
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:45 pm 

TB wrote:
Quote:

A player is considered to be going to the ground if he does not remain upright long enough to demonstrate that he is clearly a runner. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball until after his initial contact with the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete."

I mean, the rule sucks. It's the same thing that cost the Cowboys the NFL title on the Dez Bryant catch that was overturned a few years ago. But looking at it objectively, they were justified in overturning the catch.

Now whether this rule should be modified when a guy is reaching out to cross the plane of the end zone, that's a different discussion. The rule sucks. But the pass to James was by rule an incomplete pass.

Show me where the ball hit the ground. His right hand/fingers were under the ball the entire time. I would say, at worst, you can't tell 100% for sure if the ball ever touched the ground.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:46 pm 

Show me conclusive evidence that James right hand wasn’t under the ball. It was ruled a TD. Where is the conclusive view showing his right hand isn’t under the ball?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:47 pm 

That is my thought. Yes the ball moved, but did it ever touch the ground? From the TV replays you could not tell.

bradshaw2ben wrote:
TB wrote:
Quote:

Show me where the ball hit the ground. His right hand/fingers were under the ball the entire time. I would say, at worst, you can't tell 100% for sure if the ball ever touched the ground.

Post subject: HIS RIGHT HAND IS UNDER THE BALL!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:49 pm 

The fucking thing never hits the fucking ground

FUCK THE NFL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:49 pm 

You can clearly see the ball making contact with the ground at the 5 second mark.

https://twitter.com/Steelersdepot/status/942556114243043328

Right hand is to the side, not underneath the ball. To me, that's incomplete.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:51 pm 

that was a clear TD but on this new nfl..ive seen these bullshit reversals before..we got hosed

Post subject: I don't get it
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:52 pm 

I thought if there wasn't conclusive evidence, the play stands. If that was called incomplete, the play stands, just like it should of stood with the original call of a touchdown. Fucking bullshit.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:52 pm 

TB wrote:
Quote:

He can however establish himself as a runner by tucking the ball and turning upfield... which I believe he did both of those things, I mean if you extend the ball forward.. you are actively trying to move the ball upfield.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:54 pm 

It's the Dez Bryant play. I mean, this rule cost the Cowboys a playoff game. For reference:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next