It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The Really Real Steeler Dad
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:36 pm
Posts: 597
As I stated in Swiss' believe thread, since I stopped boozing like a panhandler, I've come to expect Tomlin to fuck away every single game he ever plays against the cheats. This makes it hard to stay mad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Really Real Steeler Dad
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 7291
Jeemie wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
LakecrestSteeler wrote:
I heard someone say they listened to Sal Pal, and he happened to be positioned next to the ref while he was under the hood reviewing the play. Sal didn’t want to divulge his lip reading, and put it that the ref was very animated. I suspect the Tony C. was overruled by NY HQ, and was forced to “insert” his crew into the outcome of the game, which would then explain why there was a no call in the end zone, because if it would have been up to Tony, they would not have been seen nor heard from in the final minutes but for the announcement that the play that wasn’t upheld, was upheld.

I was not upset at all with the int as I was too deflated and discombobulated at that point.


I heard Sal Pal. He DID say that the discussion between Corrente & NYC was very animated. He did NOT comment on the position that Corrente was taking.

Personally, and this is where I THINK i get irrational, the response from NYC was like this...."Hey Tony, the Pompous Fuck Robert Kraft will be up our ass far more than The Fuckin' Douchebag Art II if we rule against him.....so call it for the Patriots."


Wouldn't that be similar to what John Madden thinks Fred Swearingen was on the phone for back in 1972?

"Do you have enough security to safely escort me and my crew out of Three Rivers? No"?

"TOUCHDOWN STEELERS!"


I still think, had it been Ed Hoculi, could have come out, said...."Receiver made the catch, extended over the goal line, in the process of going to the ground, the ball moved. However, there is no indisputable evidence that the receiver lost control of the football at any point. Therefore, the ruling on the field stands. Touchdown." I have dreams that that happened.

This isn't getting better as the week goes on; it's getting worse. And I'm getting more and more pissed at the Steelers brain trust.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Really Real Steeler Dad
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:12 pm
Posts: 4169
A few years back I would have been crazy mad over this. Especially before SB 40 as we were so close so many times the need to get over the hump and “win one for the thumb” was so important.

The deterioration in the quality of play, officiating, and inconsistent handling of punishment has caused me to lose some interest in the NFL. I expect stupid shit (especially calls) to occur and when it does I’m not the least bit surprised. Just like whatever, par for the course.

So I don’t get anywhere close to being as upset as I once would have been. And that can be a good thing.

Problem is, if you don’t care as much about the losses then you end up not as excited about the wins. The passion has been neutered.

I’m actually more discouraged that we have a HC, OC, and QB that continue to make rookie mistakes as long tenured professionals. The bad calls I fully expect at this point.

The boneheaded shit our current triumvirate do time and again is much harder to overcome and causes much more pessimism about this team than the horrible state of officiating does.

If Mikey, Todd, and Ben were all on point it would have been beyond the leagues control to fuck us.


Last edited by 955876 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Really Real Steeler Dad
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 23270
955876 wrote:
A few years back I would have been crazy mad over this. Especially before SB 40 as we were so close so many times the need to get over the hump and “win one for the thumb” was so important.

The deterioration in the quality of play, officiating, and inconsistent handling of punishment has caused me to lose some interest in the NFL. I expect stupid shit (especially calls) to occur and when it does I’m not the least bit surprised. Just like whatever, par for the course.

So I don’t get anywhere close to being as upset as I once would have been. And that can be a good thing.

Problem is, if you don’t care as much about the losses then you can’t pay daily getvas excited about the wins. The passion has been neutered.

I’m actually more discouraged that we have a HC, OC, and QB that continue to make rookie mistakes as long tenured professionals. The bad calls I fully expect at this point.

The boneheaded shit our current triumvirate do time and again is much harder to overcome and causes much more pessimism about this team than the horrible state of officiating does.

If Mikey, Todd, and Ben were all on point it would have been beyond the leagues control to fuck us.


The problem is...there are too many Steeler fans who believe this game was stolen from us by the refs, so Tomlin, et al, have cover for their mistakes.

Hell...Tomlin essentially blamed the refs for his team being unprepared on second and third down. “They gave us too much to think about!”

_________________
“A set of several simple rules leads to complex, intelligent behavior. While a set of complex rules often leads to dumb and primitive behavior.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Really Real Steeler Dad
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:12 pm
Posts: 4169
Quote:
The problem is...there are too many Steeler fans who believe this game was stolen from us by the refs, so Tomlin, et al, have cover for their mistakes.


Bigger problem is Tomlin believes this as well. It’s never him

Familiar theme in this day and age. Always someone else fault.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Really Real Steeler Dad
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:18 pm
Posts: 10479
bradshaw2ben wrote:
I don't throw stuff, and I run around more, but that's pretty close to me while watching any Patriots' game.

I'm not far from that guy..lol..i don't throw shit..but the cussing aint far off.. lol.. just the big games and definatly playoffs..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Really Real Steeler Dad
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:18 pm
Posts: 10479
swissvale72 wrote:
I think the guy on the vid was playing for the camera as much as anything else. I think is the most legit flip-out vid I've ever seen....Brett Favre pic in NFC Championship '09, Vikes v. Saints

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PUAgITZfq0

I've actually only thrown shit twice in my life.....
*Once was taking off my shirt, throwing it at the TV on the Sid Fuckin' Bream play.
*Other was throwing my glasses at the TV on the Socrates Mendenhall fumble.

I've had a couple of other classic flip-outs with no physicality involved....
*Dennis Fuckin' Gibson...'94 AFCCG vs. Chargers
*Holding call in end zone in SB XLIII

Lately, my flip-outs have been almost exclusively positively-based.....screaming during good shit, as I did on Sunday when I THOUGHT we had finally beaten the Patriots. Once we hadn't.....I honestly did nothing in response.

when neal odonnel threw his second pic in bowl vs dallas I lost it..i was just sick I couldn't speak.. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Really Real Steeler Dad
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 7291
bam morris wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
I think the guy on the vid was playing for the camera as much as anything else. I think is the most legit flip-out vid I've ever seen....Brett Favre pic in NFC Championship '09, Vikes v. Saints

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PUAgITZfq0

I've actually only thrown shit twice in my life.....
*Once was taking off my shirt, throwing it at the TV on the Sid Fuckin' Bream play.
*Other was throwing my glasses at the TV on the Socrates Mendenhall fumble.

I've had a couple of other classic flip-outs with no physicality involved....
*Dennis Fuckin' Gibson...'94 AFCCG vs. Chargers
*Holding call in end zone in SB XLIII

Lately, my flip-outs have been almost exclusively positively-based.....screaming during good shit, as I did on Sunday when I THOUGHT we had finally beaten the Patriots. Once we hadn't.....I honestly did nothing in response.

when neal odonnel threw his second pic in bowl vs dallas I lost it..i was just sick I couldn't speak.. :lol:


When that happened, I just hung my head, said, "Oh no...again."

Other one, I didn't flip out on, but was pissed beyond belief, didn't involve a Steeler game....was when that fuckin' asshole Ryan Succop missed the FG for the Chefs that would have put the Steelers in the playoffs in 2013.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Really Real Steeler Dad
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:12 pm
Posts: 1751
What a fuckin jagoff. Great example for your kids. Murica!

_________________
Get well soon, Matt Murray


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Really Real Steeler Dad
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:20 am
Posts: 3765
Y-Town Steel wrote:
What a fuckin jagoff. Great example for your kids. Murica!


It is just a comedy show. Basically what it is, is making fun of the typical Pittsburgh Yinzer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Really Real Steeler Dad
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:20 am
Posts: 3765
swissvale72 wrote:
LakecrestSteeler wrote:
I heard someone say they listened to Sal Pal, and he happened to be positioned next to the ref while he was under the hood reviewing the play. Sal didn’t want to divulge his lip reading, and put it that the ref was very animated. I suspect the Tony C. was overruled by NY HQ, and was forced to “insert” his crew into the outcome of the game, which would then explain why there was a no call in the end zone, because if it would have been up to Tony, they would not have been seen nor heard from in the final minutes but for the announcement that the play that wasn’t upheld, was upheld.

I was not upset at all with the int as I was too deflated and discombobulated at that point.


I heard Sal Pal. He DID say that the discussion between Corrente & NYC was very animated. He did NOT comment on the position that Corrente was taking.

Personally, and this is where I THINK i get irrational, the response from NYC was like this...."Hey Tony, the Pompous Fuck Robert Kraft will be up our ass far more than The Fuckin' Douchebag Art II if we rule against him.....so call it for the Patriots."


I've never LOVED the Rooneys, I'd rather have a pompous fuck like Kraft or J. Jones who fucks with league for their own team's benefit, than people like the Rooneys who seem subservient to the league to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Really Real Steeler Dad
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:36 pm
Posts: 597
I'd settle for someone willing to replace Mike Tomlin.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Really Real Steeler Dad
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:10 am
Posts: 1188
Who would you replace him with? He is the second best coach in the league right now! Do you know of a coach that is between best and second best? If you were wearing the crown, and knew Ben’s window, no way you would risk that type of change.

On another note, just watched Inside the NFL, and I agree with the mentality to not put yourself in a position to have the refs decide a game, but Boomer Esiason was way out of line; talking like he was Tom Brady and had earned umpteen rings in his day.

The “what is a catch” segment was a joke. None of them brought up the point of irrefutable evidence.

If when Jesse James was on one knee prior to going to the elbow and someone came up and shoved him to the ground and the ball came out, they would have ruled him down by contact, or the ground caused the fumble....I guarantee it!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Really Real Steeler Dad
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:45 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:23 pm
Posts: 858
I didn’t flip out at all, back in the day I would have lost my shit and been a miserable fuck to be around for at least a week. Maybe getting older and accepting the fact that my teams aren’t going to win it all every year has helped. Maybe being a diehard Laker fan has helped as well. I haven’t missed a Steeler game since I got the ticket in 96 and usually only miss 3-4 Laker games per year, but the Lakers have been in extreme suckville for years (as I type this I am watching them beat the Rockets, only knowing there is leterally zero chance in hell they will win) so maybe that has put some perspective on my fandom, therefore I think I probably have enjoyed the Steelers success over the last several years more than most. Fact is the PS will be in the playoffs once again this year, possibly a 1 or 2 seed awaits them, and possibly a revenge match with the Pats, which I don’t fear as much as most, because we are the better team and maybe the Pats luck against us will eventually run out. For example, when was the last game we played the Pats and did not have 1 of the big 3 missing in action, you can’t tell me that if AB doesn’t leave the game on the 2nd series last Sunday we still would have lost.

As far as gut punch games go this game does rank up there, probably number 2 for me for Steeler games, the top one being the O’Donnel gift giving event against the Cowboys.

On a side note, I am also a huge golf fan and am glad they finally did away with actual fucking TV viewers being able to call in and effect outcomes of golf tournaments. Could you imagine being Lexi Thompson playing in a major on the final day with a 2 shot lead, and a rules official coming to you on the 12th hole of the final round and letting you know they were assessing you a 4 shot penalty because a TV viewer had called in and noticed that on the 17th hole in the prior round you didn’t correctly replace your ball on the putting green, now could you imagine if they let football fans call in and report missed calls....glad to see golf finally got their head out of their asses and changed that rule, now maybe the NFL can take this call and others and finally get their heads out of their asses and change this stupid going to the ground bullshit.


Last edited by StillerDownSouth on Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Really Real Steeler Dad
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:48 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:23 pm
Posts: 858
LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Who would you replace him with? He is the second best coach in the league right now! Do you know of a coach that is between best and second best? If you were wearing the crown, and knew Ben’s window, no way you would risk that type of change.

On another note, just watched Inside the NFL, and I agree with the mentality to not put yourself in a position to have the refs decide a game, but Boomer Esiason was way out of line; talking like he was Tom Brady and had earned umpteen rings in his day.

The “what is a catch” segment was a joke. None of them brought up the point of irrefutable evidence.

If when Jesse James was on one knee prior to going to the elbow and someone came up and shoved him to the ground and the ball came out, they would have ruled him down by contact, or the ground caused the fumble....I guarantee it!



The only person I have heard on TV arguing you couldn’t ever see the ball on the ground or if his right hand was still under the ball or not was that doucher Tim Hasselbeck on ESPN, in which Trey Wingo kept arguing with him that that didn’t matter because he lost control, in which Hasselbeck said yeah the ball did move, but if it didn’t touch the ground it doesn’t matter.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Really Real Steeler Dad
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:17 pm
Posts: 1562
955876 wrote:
Quote:
The problem is...there are too many Steeler fans who believe this game was stolen from us by the refs, so Tomlin, et al, have cover for their mistakes.


Bigger problem is Tomlin believes this as well. It’s never him

Familiar theme in this day and age. Always someone else fault.

Where do you get this shit? He puts the blame squarely on his own shoulders in every press conference. Project much?

_________________
KC wrote:
I got nothin.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Really Real Steeler Dad
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 23270
86n96 wrote:
955876 wrote:
Quote:
The problem is...there are too many Steeler fans who believe this game was stolen from us by the refs, so Tomlin, et al, have cover for their mistakes.


Bigger problem is Tomlin believes this as well. It’s never him

Familiar theme in this day and age. Always someone else fault.

Where do you get this shit? He puts the blame squarely on his own shoulders in every press conference. Project much?


Meh. Not so much.

This whole last presser was him avoiding answering the question as to why two plays weren’t called during the review, and why Martavis Bryant wasn’t on the field for the last two plays.

Taking accountability would have said “Yeah- I needed to be better discussing our options there” not “there were myriad situations we had to take into account there”.

_________________
“A set of several simple rules leads to complex, intelligent behavior. While a set of complex rules often leads to dumb and primitive behavior.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Really Real Steeler Dad
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 23270
StillerDownSouth wrote:
I didn’t flip out at all, back in the day I would have lost my shit and been a miserable fuck to be around for at least a week. Maybe getting older and accepting the fact that my teams aren’t going to win it all every year has helped. Maybe being a diehard Laker fan has helped as well. I haven’t missed a Steeler game since I got the ticket in 96 and usually only miss 3-4 Laker games per year, but the Lakers have been in extreme suckville for years (as I type this I am watching them beat the Rockets, only knowing there is leterally zero chance in hell they will win) so maybe that has put some perspective on my fandom, therefore I think I probably have enjoyed the Steelers success over the last several years more than most. Fact is the PS will be in the playoffs once again this year, possibly a 1 or 2 seed awaits them, and possibly a revenge match with the Pats, which I don’t fear as much as most, because we are the better team and maybe the Pats luck against us will eventually run out. For example, when was the last game we played the Pats and did not have 1 of the big 3 missing in action, you can’t tell me that if AB doesn’t leave the game on the 2nd series last Sunday we still would have lost.

As far as gut punch games go this game does rank up there, probably number 2 for me for Steeler games, the top one being the O’Donnel gift giving event against the Cowboys.

On a side note, I am also a huge golf fan and am glad they finally did away with actual fucking TV viewers being able to call in and effect outcomes of golf tournaments. Could you imagine being Lexi Thompson playing in a major on the final day with a 2 shot lead, and a rules official coming to you on the 12th hole of the final round and letting you know they were assessing you a 4 shot penalty because a TV viewer had called in and noticed that on the 17th hole in the prior round you didn’t correctly replace your ball on the putting green, now could you imagine if they let football fans call in and report missed calls....glad to see golf finally got their head out of their asses and changed that rule, now maybe the NFL can take this call and others and finally get their heads out of their asses and change this stupid going to the ground bullshit.


There really is only one simple change to the rule they have to make.

If a receiver is going to the ground and he reaches out to make a try to break the plane or to get to the first down marker, then he is making a move that shows he has control of the football after the catch, and is therefore a runner.

It isn’t that hard. It would have been especially easy to call this for James, who not only reached out but before he reached out he tucked the ball IN towards himself.

It’s a common sense thing that will make games MORE exciting.

The rule as it stands now is going to start encouraging players not to try and reach out to make a play...and that shit is boring.

_________________
“A set of several simple rules leads to complex, intelligent behavior. While a set of complex rules often leads to dumb and primitive behavior.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Really Real Steeler Dad
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:51 pm
Posts: 1221
I've broken a few remote controls in years past. Mostly have bruised my hand pounding on an end table or something hard. Only punched a whole in my bedroom door once. I started to tone way down after the Bettis fumble. I called him so many names and felt bad after they won. I guess that woke up and made me realize I was taking it way too seriously. I keg through the wall fucking up your plumbing definitely makes me a little less embarrassed about my fits of rage though. Then you had to get pissed off all over again when you paid the bill. Damn!

_________________
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied by asking, “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Really Real Steeler Dad
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 23270
RemoAZ wrote:
I've broken a few remote controls in years past. Mostly have bruised my hand pounding on an end table or something hard. Only punched a whole in my bedroom door once. I started to tone way down after the Bettis fumble. I called him so many names and felt bad after they won. I guess that woke up and made me realize I was taking it way too seriously. I keg through the wall fucking up your plumbing definitely makes me a little less embarrassed about my fits of rage though. Then you had to get pissed off all over again when you paid the bill. Damn!


I actually started toning down 25 years ago now.

What did it for me was the 1992 NLCS.

When Sid Bream slide across home plate, I had expended so much energy on the game that I laid on my living room floor in the dark for an hour after the game with the damn TV blaring out the Braves' celebration. I couldn't move. I had expended so much energy AND I knew that with Bonds leaving the following season, this had been our last shot at a World Series for a while (didn't think it would take 20 fucking years to get back, though).

I said "no sports event is worth this" so while I may yell and type shit on a message board now, I don't break equipment...I don't sulk and stew for hours, or anything like that.

Now- I'll talk about mistakes the team made, etc and stuff like that for days, but the main anger goes away pretty much instantaneously.

After this one, I turned the TV off, gathered up all my Steelers' gear and put it away, silently. My wife stayed angry longer than I did.

_________________
“A set of several simple rules leads to complex, intelligent behavior. While a set of complex rules often leads to dumb and primitive behavior.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Really Real Steeler Dad
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:12 pm
Posts: 4169
86n96 wrote:
955876 wrote:
Quote:
The problem is...there are too many Steeler fans who believe this game was stolen from us by the refs, so Tomlin, et al, have cover for their mistakes.


Bigger problem is Tomlin believes this as well. It’s never him

Familiar theme in this day and age. Always someone else fault.

Where do you get this shit? He puts the blame squarely on his own shoulders in every press conference. Project much?


I get it directly from Tomlin’s words & actions. So we can agree to disagree that he “puts the blame squarely on his shoulders in every press conference”.

Mmmmkay. Sure he does.

Maybe you see it this way because you buy into his words & actions a bit too much.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Really Real Steeler Dad
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:51 pm
Posts: 1221
Jeemie wrote:
RemoAZ wrote:
I've broken a few remote controls in years past. Mostly have bruised my hand pounding on an end table or something hard. Only punched a whole in my bedroom door once. I started to tone way down after the Bettis fumble. I called him so many names and felt bad after they won. I guess that woke up and made me realize I was taking it way too seriously. I keg through the wall fucking up your plumbing definitely makes me a little less embarrassed about my fits of rage though. Then you had to get pissed off all over again when you paid the bill. Damn!


I actually started toning down 25 years ago now.

What did it for me was the 1992 NLCS.

When Sid Bream slide across home plate, I had expended so much energy on the game that I laid on my living room floor in the dark for an hour after the game with the damn TV blaring out the Braves' celebration. I couldn't move. I had expended so much energy AND I knew that with Bonds leaving the following season, this had been our last shot at a World Series for a while (didn't think it would take 20 fucking years to get back, though).

I said "no sports event is worth this" so while I may yell and type shit on a message board now, I don't break equipment...I don't sulk and stew for hours, or anything like that.

Now- I'll talk about mistakes the team made, etc and stuff like that for days, but the main anger goes away pretty much instantaneously.

After this one, I turned the TV off, gathered up all my Steelers' gear and put it away, silently. My wife stayed angry longer than I did.


Awesome story! These posts bring back so many memories. I was a Pirate fan until the Dbacks came here (Football was always my #1 sport and the Cardinals have never felt like Arizona's team to me. Maybe if they changed the name...). When they drafted Bonds I was super psyched as I saw Bonds play for ASU. I went to see him play when Hawaii played the Firebirds here (triple A). He hit a bomb over the center field wall. Went to San Diego and saw him hit an opposite field shot early in his career so I got to see homers in college, the minors and as a pro. Anyway when he made that weak throw to the plate and couldn't get Sid freaking Bream I lost it too. Then there was Stan hangling slider Belinda. Oh the Pirate let downs of the past! If that Ford Ranger I had then is still on the road, there are some knuckle marks on the roof of the cab from one of those playoff losses.

On a related note, I met a guy in a bar that used to be a minor leager with the Pirates years ago (can't remember his name) that said Belinda was a coke head and wasn't surprised he folded in the playoffs. 100% rumor and could be a total lie as this guy seemed bitter for never getting a shot in the majors but there it is.

_________________
Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied by asking, “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Really Real Steeler Dad
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 13534
That's me....to the 'T'! :oops:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Really Real Steeler Dad
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:18 pm
Posts: 10479
RemoAZ wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
RemoAZ wrote:
I've broken a few remote controls in years past. Mostly have bruised my hand pounding on an end table or something hard. Only punched a whole in my bedroom door once. I started to tone way down after the Bettis fumble. I called him so many names and felt bad after they won. I guess that woke up and made me realize I was taking it way too seriously. I keg through the wall fucking up your plumbing definitely makes me a little less embarrassed about my fits of rage though. Then you had to get pissed off all over again when you paid the bill. Damn!


I actually started toning down 25 years ago now.

What did it for me was the 1992 NLCS.

When Sid Bream slide across home plate, I had expended so much energy on the game that I laid on my living room floor in the dark for an hour after the game with the damn TV blaring out the Braves' celebration. I couldn't move. I had expended so much energy AND I knew that with Bonds leaving the following season, this had been our last shot at a World Series for a while (didn't think it would take 20 fucking years to get back, though).

I said "no sports event is worth this" so while I may yell and type shit on a message board now, I don't break equipment...I don't sulk and stew for hours, or anything like that.

Now- I'll talk about mistakes the team made, etc and stuff like that for days, but the main anger goes away pretty much instantaneously.

After this one, I turned the TV off, gathered up all my Steelers' gear and put it away, silently. My wife stayed angry longer than I did.


Awesome story! These posts bring back so many memories. I was a Pirate fan until the Dbacks came here (Football was always my #1 sport and the Cardinals have never felt like Arizona's team to me. Maybe if they changed the name...). When they drafted Bonds I was super psyched as I saw Bonds play for ASU. I went to see him play when Hawaii played the Firebirds here (triple A). He hit a bomb over the center field wall. Went to San Diego and saw him hit an opposite field shot early in his career so I got to see homers in college, the minors and as a pro. Anyway when he made that weak throw to the plate and couldn't get Sid freaking Bream I lost it too. Then there was Stan hangling slider Belinda. Oh the Pirate let downs of the past! If that Ford Ranger I had then is still on the road, there are some knuckle marks on the roof of the cab from one of those playoff losses.

On a related note, I met a guy in a bar that used to be a minor leager with the Pirates years ago (can't remember his name) that said Belinda was a coke head and wasn't surprised he folded in the playoffs. 100% rumor and could be a total lie as this guy seemed bitter for never getting a shot in the majors but there it is.

I still believe we leave drabek in a bit longer we win vs braves...I remember watching that game and those in Atlanta with no sound..couldn't stand that chanting..lind fucked us and I screaming don't take drabik out! sickening loss..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Really Real Steeler Dad
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am
Posts: 5500
RemoAZ wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
RemoAZ wrote:
I've broken a few remote controls in years past. Mostly have bruised my hand pounding on an end table or something hard. Only punched a whole in my bedroom door once. I started to tone way down after the Bettis fumble. I called him so many names and felt bad after they won. I guess that woke up and made me realize I was taking it way too seriously. I keg through the wall fucking up your plumbing definitely makes me a little less embarrassed about my fits of rage though. Then you had to get pissed off all over again when you paid the bill. Damn!


I actually started toning down 25 years ago now.

What did it for me was the 1992 NLCS.

When Sid Bream slide across home plate, I had expended so much energy on the game that I laid on my living room floor in the dark for an hour after the game with the damn TV blaring out the Braves' celebration. I couldn't move. I had expended so much energy AND I knew that with Bonds leaving the following season, this had been our last shot at a World Series for a while (didn't think it would take 20 fucking years to get back, though).

I said "no sports event is worth this" so while I may yell and type shit on a message board now, I don't break equipment...I don't sulk and stew for hours, or anything like that.

Now- I'll talk about mistakes the team made, etc and stuff like that for days, but the main anger goes away pretty much instantaneously.

After this one, I turned the TV off, gathered up all my Steelers' gear and put it away, silently. My wife stayed angry longer than I did.


Awesome story! These posts bring back so many memories. I was a Pirate fan until the Dbacks came here (Football was always my #1 sport and the Cardinals have never felt like Arizona's team to me. Maybe if they changed the name...). When they drafted Bonds I was super psyched as I saw Bonds play for ASU. I went to see him play when Hawaii played the Firebirds here (triple A). He hit a bomb over the center field wall. Went to San Diego and saw him hit an opposite field shot early in his career so I got to see homers in college, the minors and as a pro. Anyway when he made that weak throw to the plate and couldn't get Sid freaking Bream I lost it too. Then there was Stan hangling slider Belinda. Oh the Pirate let downs of the past! If that Ford Ranger I had then is still on the road, there are some knuckle marks on the roof of the cab from one of those playoff losses.

On a related note, I met a guy in a bar that used to be a minor leager with the Pirates years ago (can't remember his name) that said Belinda was a coke head and wasn't surprised he folded in the playoffs. 100% rumor and could be a total lie as this guy seemed bitter for never getting a shot in the majors but there it is.


Stan didn't seem like the type. A country boy from rural Central PA. Anyway, he has a nephew that just got drafted out of a PSAC school a year ago. Another Belinda. Pitcher too.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Almighty Slacker, Google [Bot], Steel Drummer, steelsmitty, StillerDownSouth, TB, Will-the-Shake and 47 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group