It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New take on the rule
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:33 am 

"A player must maintain control of ball through INITIAL contact of the ground........."

JJ initially contacted the ground with his knee.....then his elbow...both while maintaining control of the ball....the the ball itself contacted the ground after it crossed the plain .

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: New take on the rule
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:35 am 

R S wrote:
"A player must maintain control of ball through INITIAL contact of the ground........."

JJ initially contacted the ground with his knee.....then his elbow...both while maintaining control of the ball....the the ball itself contacted the ground after it crossed the plain .

Thoughts?

That seems reasonable.

Even dickwad John Harbaugh was quoted as saying, he thought it was a catch, initially.

Reason doesn't matter when playing the Patriots.

Robert Kraft runs the NFL.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:36 am 

THe catch rule is a ruse for game manipulation

The officials cannot even interpret it by the law. Subjective afterthought based on enough tribute to the nfl pillars

You’ll understand what I mean if you understand the underworld

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:43 am 

R S wrote:

Thoughts?

You must be listening to the NFL channel on Sirius right now, right?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:47 am 

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=38&v=T0v-1Dn4VUQ[/youtube]

This player apparently "survived the ground"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:53 am 

R S wrote:

Thoughts?

I agree because he caught the ball, knee was down, no contact and then made a football move (extending the ball with two hands over the goal line. Ground causing the fumble could be discussed two but after the football move/ball over the goal line, everything else should be MOOT. It was a fucking TD. Hell, there are plenty of other bullshit calls where everyone fucking knows it's a touchdown the receiver goes to the ground the ball is being juggled in the air the receiver comes down with said ball that never touched the ground yet they call it the same bullshit, didn't maintain possession while going to the ground. The ball never touches the ground......again everyone fucking knows that should be a touchdown.

Beth is spot on. NO one can convince me that there isn't bullshit involved with these calls. People pointing out the vegas spread being 3pts all week and having that TD called off is not a coincidence, it's bullshit entertainment.

Hockey is looking better and better.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:04 am 

BethlehemSteel wrote:
THe catch rule is a ruse for game manipulation

The officials cannot even interpret it by the law. Subjective afterthought based on enough tribute to the nfl pillars

You’ll understand what I mean if you understand the underworld

This rule is emblematic of rules that are destroying small business in the United States and this rule, like those horrible business rules and regs have to be set aside. The result of these rules is destroying the organism that they are governing.

There needs to be a separation in the rulebook between catches made in the field of play and catches made in the endzone. A catch made in the field of play by anyone should have the same consistent application with regard to the end zone . If a receiver or running back, or quarterback, any offensive player rightfully possessing the ball, has has clear possession of the ball and breaks the plane of the goal line it is a touchdown.

Any reception made inside of the endzone by anyone rightfully entitled or allowed to make a catch has to uphold the standard of control. Inside of the endzone possession has to be maintained, feet have to be in, player cannot reenter if out of bounds. The length of time for possession could be quantified, one second. That would diminish some of the wild ass clawing and punching and violence that we see on most passes into the endzone.

On Sunday James made a clean catch and established possession. He crossed the plane with possession. By logical standards that's a TD. Under the current rules of deceit and obfuscation he fulfilled the aspects of a defined catch minus the nullification enjoinder that is in conflict and contradiction with other definitions in the rule book. The same rule book would have allowed it to have been called a catch, a fumble and a recovery in the EZ by the receiver: TD. That is the call we would have heard if that was a NE TE.

All of this aligns with logic and fairness.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:14 am 

PittWest wrote:
R S wrote:

Thoughts?

You must be listening to the NFL channel on Sirius right now, right?

yep. Hadnt heard that take before. Was it pat kirwan?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:15 am 

This should be the strongest possible justification that the rule be changed. That multiple people can read the text of the rule, view the play in question in super slow mo quad HD, and still have different opinions is a travesty.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:20 am 

I've taken a massive step back from the NFL this year for year's past. I haven't watched a full NFL game this year outside of the Steelers and really don't plan to ever again unless they fix some glaring issues in their product. I think the product on the field is absolutely atrocious from the actual play on the field to the refs taking over games because the league now installed so many fucking rules that it's very easy to micromanage outcomes. The problem is that the rules try to be too specific and yet are completely open ended, misinterpreted, and misappropriated from week to week to the point that it's very easy to script games (Not saying it definitively happens, but it's easier now than it ever was if they chose to do it). I spent good money on Sunday to see that game and to have it be decided like that when I have seen very similar plays in other games called TDs is ridiculous.

Over the past 2 years I've found myself getting much more excited about the MLB season and I've recently started getting more and more into the NBA. From a product standpoint those two leagues are far and away better now than the NFL. I went to my first NBA game about a month ago between the Celts and Nets and the experience was fantastic.

The only way things will change is if the fans stop shelling out cold hard cash for NFL bullshit. As a former NFL die-hard I'll gladly start buying more Sox and Celtics garb.