It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Who Defends Gronkowski Best?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:21 pm 

Yeah, who is it, PFF, reporting that we played man to man 65% against NE and that number was only 12% in the previous 13 games of this season.

That is just way too much of a discrepancy, but you can't argue with the results though. Mike Hilton was incredible, had two pass breakups with one being denying Gronk in the end zone. They were leaving the big uglies in the game more, Hargarve played a lot as they went with 3 man defensive lines, they even had more 4 man defensive lines.

I have been arguing for more 4-3 looks, for having more defensive linemen on the field and for more man to man, that is the way for this defense to evolve.

Again, just a shame that Shazier and Haden were out, I think NE would have been held to less than 20 points. What I want to see for next season is a flushing out of the last remaining LeBeau vets and embracing the youth that we have and finally switching the defense to something else.

Let go of Willie Gay and James Harrison. Get rid of Mike Mitchell and Art Moats, and then add some new players through the draft and free agency. Keep Haden, so his contract increases next year, so what? If you move on from Mitchell, bam, there is the money that can be shifted to keep Haden.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:26 pm 

Who defends gronkowski the best?

His lawyer/ agent, and his girlfriend.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:07 am 

Bear traps.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:09 am 

Scunge wrote:
Yeah, who is it, PFF, reporting that we played man to man 65% against NE and that number was only 12% in the previous 13 games of this season.

That is just way too much of a discrepancy, but you can't argue with the results though. Mike Hilton was incredible, had two pass breakups with one being denying Gronk in the end zone. They were leaving the big uglies in the game more, Hargarve played a lot as they went with 3 man defensive lines, they even had more 4 man defensive lines.

I have been arguing for more 4-3 looks, for having more defensive linemen on the field and for more man to man, that is the way for this defense to evolve.

Again, just a shame that Shazier and Haden were out, I think NE would have been held to less than 20 points. What I want to see for next season is a flushing out of the last remaining LeBeau vets and embracing the youth that we have and finally switching the defense to something else.

Let go of Willie Gay and James Harrison. Get rid of Mike Mitchell and Art Moats, and then add some new players through the draft and free agency. Keep Haden, so his contract increases next year, so what? If you move on from Mitchell, bam, there is the money that can be shifted to keep Haden.

Mitchell has to go. That 2nd half debacle is on him.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:38 am 

86n96 wrote:
Scunge wrote:

Mitchell has to go. That 2nd half debacle is on him.

I still can’t get over that play on the final sequence where the Pats had two receivers on either side of the formation, and he cheated AWAY from Gronkowski’s side.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:10 am 

I think Haden would have as much trouble as Davis with Gronk. Haden is not a big guy. Gronk would bully him and create separation. I get why Davis was put on Gronk. If you looked at the roster Sunday he made the most sense. Young, mobile safety with good size and strength. He needed help though. I would not be pissed if they put Davis on him again. I think the kid will learn a thing or two from this past week and give him a little goddamn safety help!!!! Haden can lockdown whatever piece of shit WR is on the other side...Hogan, Amendola, Ochocinco, whoever....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:24 am 

R S wrote:
I think Haden would have as much trouble as Davis with Gronk. Haden is not a big guy. Gronk would bully him and create separation. I get why Davis was put on Gronk. If you looked at the roster Sunday he made the most sense. Young, mobile safety with good size and strength. He needed help though. I would not be pissed if they put Davis on him again. I think the kid will learn a thing or two from this past week and give him a little goddamn safety help!!!! Haden can lockdown whatever piece of shit WR is on the other side...Hogan, Amendola, Ochocinco, whoever....

In 2011, the single high safety was Ryan Clark.

Now it’s Mike Mitchell.

That’s a HUGE difference.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:50 am 

R S wrote:

I agree RS.
He gets another shot.
But this time....He gets banged pretty hard at the line by Dupree if he lines up on that side.
And gets banged pretty hard by Watt if he starts out on his side.

And then Davis deals with him after his tussles at the line.

And if they move Gronk further out to get away from the banging....
I have confidence in Dupree and Watt, with their athletic ability to still be able to use their range and coverage skills to be the first guy on him....
with S/DB picking him up.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:59 am 

One thing the pats have always done well is move the ball around.

This is why I feel good about next time. Let’s say Sutton gets more reps and improves and we get Haden. Steelers now have 4 CB that can press man or zone. They’ve never been that far with that group before.

I’d be thinking of some combination of like a 5-6 vs pats

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:21 am 

Jeemie wrote:
R S wrote:

In 2011, the single high safety was Ryan Clark.

Now it’s Mike Mitchell.

That’s a HUGE difference.

I said this in another thread that I'd rather have Mike Wagner at 68 back there than Mitchell. He has ZERO awareness.