All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Eli Was Open and The Throw Was Not Ill-advised
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:36 pm 

Wide open?

I don't think Eli Rogers has ever been wide open. :lol:

That was tight coverage the whole way.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:37 pm 

Anybody also notice the pats defender step on Rogers' right foot way before the ball got there. He was doing it while grabbing the jersey.

I don't think it was an ill advised throw.

They've scored plenty on that play. Ball was perfectly thrown.

Flukey shit. But the DPI was clear, and the same as what was called on Gronk earlier in the game. A guy who should have been called for taunting, especially since he pile drove a player two weeks ago.

But fuck that. J. James catch was a td. Nobody is going to tell me any different, regardless of the "rules."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:43 pm 

[imgImage/img]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:55 pm 

Now that I see that, he shouldn't have thrown it. The pull on the jersey is not enough to cause an issue. The ball is not thrown ahead of him or low, it's placed exactly where the defender can bat it down or tip it up. In real time, I'm sure it looked like a great opportunity to end the game.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:00 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
Anybody also notice the pats defender step on Rogers' right foot way before the ball got there. He was doing it while grabbing the jersey.

I don't think it was an ill advised throw.

They've scored plenty on that play. Ball was perfectly thrown.

Flukey shit. But the DPI was clear, and the same as what was called on Gronk earlier in the game. A guy who should have been called for taunting, especially since he pile drove a player two weeks ago.

But fuck that. J. James catch was a td. Nobody is going to tell me any different, regardless of the "rules."

No it was not perfectly thrown....not so the only result would be a touchdown or an incomplete pass.

THEN it would have been perfectly thrown. That is what the situation called for.

Out in front and low so Rogers can either make a sliding grab or it bounces off him to the turf.

Brady makes those kinds of throws all the time.

Couldn't find a real one so here's a Madden version with DeSean Jackson to sort of visualize what I'm talking about.

Last edited by Jeemie on Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:02 pm 

fortythree wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
Was still an ill-advised throw to the middle of the EZ with players around so if something went wrong, an interception might result.

You want a better pass to the middle of the EZ as an option, throw one low where Rogers slides to the ground as he's making it.

That way, if he misses it, the ball is likely batted down, not up.

So it was indeed an ill-advised throw.

Any pass there...ANY pass...has to be one that is either caught, or incomplete...period.

Hall Of Fame Quarterback Jeemie shares his insight.

So why are YOU here, then posting on ANY of this shit? You're not an NFL player or you'd be at your job right now.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:34 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
This deserves its own thread.

In the moment, I was conflicted-- I thought Ben had called a poor play and thrown into coverage AND I thought at first glance that the DB had interfered with Rogers. But the video evidence says otherwise. The play called left Rogers open, and when the throw left the hand, that sure looked like dozens of other TDs that 7 has thrown.

Guy was wide open when Ben let it go, and if the defender hadn't used a big grab of jersey to create leverage, that's a TD as long as Rogers doesn't drop it.

If that's AB or Larry Fitzgerald, it's not ill advised. They'll either catch the pass or draw a DPI. Eli can't draw Yurtle the Turtle, and his odds for making the contested catch were not great.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:01 pm 

WTF was Jesse James doing on that last play by the way. He barely tried to block his man...getting Ben creamed as he threw it. Stuff like that can make all the difference.

That said...that is DPI all the way. Too bad the ref wasn't in a position to see it. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:02 pm 

franco32 wrote:
WTF was Jesse James doing on that last play by the way. He barely tried to block his man...getting Ben creamed as he threw it. Stuff like that can make all the difference.

That said...that is DPI all the way. Too bad the ref wasn't in a position to see it. :roll:

Most of the team thought a spike was coming.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:05 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
franco32 wrote:

Most of the team thought a spike was coming.

Right....wasn't just JJ....it was JuJu & Leveon as well.

Actually, way I remember it....very late in the play, James started to swing out right....could have been promising.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:01 pm 

In the NFL, that's wide the fuck open.

And yeah, he stepped on Rogers. Cheating mother fuckers.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:32 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
No it was not perfectly thrown....not so the only result would be a touchdown or an incomplete pass.

THEN it would have been perfectly thrown. That is what the situation called for.

Out in front and low so Rogers can either make a sliding grab or it bounces off him to the turf.

Brady makes those kinds of throws all the time.

Couldn't find a real one so here's a Madden version with DeSean Jackson to sort of visualize what I'm talking about.

Perfect by NFL standards. Had he not been held and tripped most make that catch.

I concede that it wasn't "perfect" since it was tipped and intercepted. But no fucking way brady makes that throw every time. He fucked up plenty in that game throwing short and/ or long. Look at the gronk catch plucking it off the turf earlier in the game.

Brady is not perfect by any stretch. I'll take BR over brady throwing into tight windows any day.