It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chalk Talk...the last 1:55...key plays
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:47 pm 

Steelers/PSU Fan wrote:
Steel Mike wrote:
One play is missing - the 2nd down pass to DHB on a crossing route. Why throw that? It fucked the clock and didn't gain significant yardage. Just throw it away and spare the clock.

Big Ben has never been one to throw the ball away, that was a play we should have thrown to the end zone, dumb call and dumb decision by Ben. Should have stuck Alien in there and threw a fade.

This has been my contention as well, the play that most fucked us on the final sequence was this play, there was nothing to be gained by throwing the ball to DHB here, he was too far from the sidelines and only 1 yard from the line of scrimmage, so he wasn't scoring and it would have been difficult to get out of bounds, Ben had moved to his left and avoided the rush, still had time to survey the field, if nothing came open throw it out of bounds and huddle up for 3rd down. This play by a 15 year Hall of Fame QB is something a rookie would do, this is a spot when Ben should be smarter with the ball, you either throw it to the end zone or throw it away, we were already well inside FG range.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:01 pm 

StillerDownSouth wrote:
Steelers/PSU Fan wrote:
Steel Mike wrote:
One play is missing - the 2nd down pass to DHB on a crossing route. Why throw that? It fucked the clock and didn't gain significant yardage. Just throw it away and spare the clock.

Big Ben has never been one to throw the ball away, that was a play we should have thrown to the end zone, dumb call and dumb decision by Ben. Should have stuck Alien in there and threw a fade.

This has been my contention as well, the play that most fucked us on the final sequence was this play, there was nothing to be gained by throwing the ball to DHB here, he was too far from the sidelines and only 1 yard from the line of scrimmage, so he wasn't scoring and it would have been difficult to get out of bounds, Ben had moved to his left and avoided the rush, still had time to survey the field, if nothing came open throw it out of bounds and huddle up for 3rd down. This play by a 15 year Hall of Fame QB is something a rookie would do, this is a spot when Ben should be smarter with the ball, you either throw it to the end zone or throw it away, we were already well inside FG range.

A radio guy here in Philadelphia, Al Morganti, said it best.

“Bill Belichick turns the other sideline stupid”.

The Patriot Mystique affected the Steelers and turned them even dumber than usual.

It’s becoming no surprise to me that an old curmudgeon like Tom Coughlin was one of the few head coaches who never got rattled when matched up against Bill Belichick.

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:07 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Steel Mike wrote:
Baltostiller wrote:
I was so pissed that JuJu cut that back. Stay on the sideline and take it as far as you can. You either score or get pushed out of bounds stopping the clock.
NEVER turn back inside towards the pursuit unless you absolutely have to. Still a great play though.

I was too, but he gained a bunch by doing it, so can't fault a guy for trying to make a big play (and succeeding).

He stays on the sideline, I think he scores.

Since the guy that had the angle on him stutter-stepped BEFORE JuJu cut back, JuJu beats him down the sideline, I think.

I don't think so....but would like to see the wide view.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:12 pm 

Baltostiller wrote:
I was so pissed that JuJu cut that back. Stay on the sideline and take it as far as you can. You either score or get pushed out of bounds stopping the clock.
NEVER turn back inside towards the pursuit unless you absolutely have to. Still a great play though.

Theoretical query

What if Juju does stay on the sidelines and the Patriot Defender finally catches him and hits him just after he crosses the goal Line the ball comes loose although JuJu's hands are underneath the ball. There is no conclusive proof that the ball hit the ground and was out of his control. What does New York and correnti do on that?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:15 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:

I think at minimum he gets as far as he did cutting back in, with the added benefit of going OOB and preserving the timeout.

Speaking of which...Ben pointing out that Corrente granted them the timeout before they really asked for it casts a bad light on the Steelers and clock management again.

They should have known immediately they were calling timeout. Far too much clock would have been burned trying to rush down the field and clock it. Not to mention a down to win the game would have been wasted. They were at the ten...using the last TO was the right thing to do there. Had they not been such idiots with their playcalling, 32 seconds and no timeouts from the ten is plenty of time for three shots to the EZ and then a FG try if needed.

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

Last edited by Jeemie on Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:16 pm 

Old School Steeler wrote:
Baltostiller wrote:

Theoretical query

What if Juju does stay on the sidelines and the Patriot Defender finally catches him and hits him just after he crosses the goal Line the ball comes loose although JuJu's hands are underneath the ball. There is no conclusive proof that the ball hit the ground and was out of his control. What does New York and correnti do on that?

Since JuJu was an established runner at that point, it’s a TD as soon as the football breaks the plane.

It wouldn’t even be an issue.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:28 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:

I think at minimum he gets as far as he did cutting back in, with the added benefit of going OOB and preserving the timeout.

Speaking of which...Ben pointing out that Corrente granted them the timeout before they really asked for it casts a bad light on the Steelers and clock management again.

They should have known immediately they were calling timeout. Far too much clock would have been burned trying to rush down the field and clock it. Not to mention a down to win the game would have been wasted. They were at the ten...using the last TO was the right thing to do there. Had they not been such idiots with their playcalling, 32 seconds and no timeouts from the ten is plenty of time for three shots to the EZ and then a FG try if needed.

BUT...and this is where it's the case of Tomlin not learning his lessons, they've done that shit for....years!! Remember, Jeems, you and I both pointed out how they wasted a down by clocking the ball in Baltimore in '08, but still managed to come out with the win. And....how they would have done the same thing in SB XLIII, had not Santonio been hot-dogging it, forcing the Steelers to use their last timeout after his 38 yard gain in the final minute.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:48 pm 

Chalk me up for one that believes J2S2 scores if he just runs straight down the sideline. So many blown opportunities to win that game...

I have a feeling after this season is over, I'll turn my attention to college/high school football. I don't think I can handle another season of this type of NFL drama, especially if Goodell is still at the helm. I love football and my Steelers, but this season has been ridiculous and an embarrassment. It's time for the fans to take a stand for the lack of the product they are providing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:34 pm 

by the way I'm sure you heard even Tunch mention the DPI/hold at the end. It was obvious, and if you've played any type of contact sport you understand how small of a tug, grab or hold is actually needed to impede a player, and refs know that as well. Only reason it wasn't called was, 1. Its the pats and you have to follow the script, it was a relative no name WR in Rogers and he doesn't get that call. It really was a BS no call tho, refs decided the game, you make that call and let the 2 teams decide their own fate.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:57 pm 

here's another angle.....if PIT ends-up going to NE for the AFCC, how much money does that cost Rooney (and, for that matter, the city of Pittsburgh)?

The NFL didn't just steal a game from PIT, they literally took money out of the pockets of hometown fans.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next