It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Inside the NFL...WTF!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 22970
B2B...isn’t the rule that a fumble can be advanced if the player who fumbled it also recovers it?

The “no advance” rule only affects OTHER people recovering it, correct?

I remember this because we had that fumble earlier this year that Brown fumbled and Bryant recovered ten yards further downfield, and the officials marked it at the recovery spot in error.

_________________
“Your ability to think concisely, your ability to make good judgments is much easier on Thursday night than during the heat of the game."

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inside the NFL...WTF!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:48 pm
Posts: 1398
fortythree wrote:
But if the officials tell you it's a possibility you have to consider it. That's the point.


That's why I said...

"So, that possibility/result shouldn't require more than a second or two of thought and planning for from Tomlin et al during the review timeout. They should have all been huddled to make a real plan of action for downs 2, 3 and 4, during that three minutes or more."

You prioritized the possible outcomes and IT HAS TOO BE the last one on the list based on the video everyone is seeing and the way the rules are written.

That's the point!

As usual, like clockwork, there goes 43 commenting without reading everything...again. Did you even watch the game? Seriously, of all of the people that post on here, it's a fair and pertinent question.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inside the NFL...WTF!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 22970
DP39 wrote:
fortythree wrote:
But if the officials tell you it's a possibility you have to consider it. That's the point.


That's why I said...

"So, that possibility/result shouldn't require more than a second or two of thought and planning for from Tomlin et al during the review timeout. They should have all been huddled to make a real plan of action for downs 2, 3 and 4, during that three minutes or more."

You prioritized the possible outcomes and IT HAS TOO BE the last one on the list based on the video everyone is seeing and the way the rules are written.

That's the point!

As usual, like clockwork, there goes 43 commenting without reading everything...again. Did you even watch the game? Seriously, of all of the people that post on here, it's a fair and pertinent question.


It blew my mind that Tomlin said the ultimate call on the review...incomplete pass...was the one he considered to have the “lowest possibility” of happening.

That tells me he did not have his own guys in the replay booth looking at replays, nor had he scouted how these types of plays have been called since the catch rule was implemented (even more tightly since 2010).

I knew from the very first replay how it was going to be called...how could he not know?

_________________
“Your ability to think concisely, your ability to make good judgments is much easier on Thursday night than during the heat of the game."

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inside the NFL...WTF!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16098
Jeemie wrote:
B2B...isn’t the rule that a fumble can be advanced if the player who fumbled it also recovers it?

The “no advance” rule only affects OTHER people recovering it, correct?

I remember this because we had that fumble earlier this year that Brown fumbled and Bryant recovered ten yards further downfield, and the officials marked it at the recovery spot in error.

I believe in last two minutes, you can’t advance a fumble. I just read the rule this morning but I can’t remember the exact wording but that was the takeaway.

_________________
Suwanee88 wrote:
But it’s your fault that you are kind of a stubborn jagoff that would argue with a fence post


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inside the NFL...WTF!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 22970
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
B2B...isn’t the rule that a fumble can be advanced if the player who fumbled it also recovers it?

The “no advance” rule only affects OTHER people recovering it, correct?

I remember this because we had that fumble earlier this year that Brown fumbled and Bryant recovered ten yards further downfield, and the officials marked it at the recovery spot in error.

I believe in last two minutes, you can’t advance a fumble. I just read the rule this morning but I can’t remember the exact wording but that was the takeaway.


Nope...I was correct.

Quote:
On a play from scrimmage, if an offensive player fumbles anywhere on the field during fourth down, only the fumbling player is permitted to recover and/or advance the ball. If any player fumbles after the two-minute warning in a half, only the fumbling player is permitted to recover and/or advance the ball. If recovered by any other offensive player, the ball is dead at the spot of the fumble unless it is recovered behind the spot of the fumble. In that case, the ball is dead at the spot of recovery. Any defensive player may recover and/or advance any fumble at any time.


http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/fumble

So the Steelers’ coaches, if Mike Tomlin is to be believed, spent most of their time discussing a scenario that was pretty much not going to happen.

And I can’t get over Tomlin saying that the outcome that DID happen...incomplete pass...is one he thought had the “lowest probability of happening”.

That means Mike Tomlin doesn’t know the catch rule.

That means Mike Tomlin doesn’t know how the catch rule has been called by the NFL.

That means Mike Tomlin didn’t know that pretty much the exact same overturn was done for the exact same reason by the exact same crew working his game, against the New York Jets.

Mike Tomlin is paid to know this shit. To not know it is inexcusable.

I do hope what the one poster here commented is true...and that part of Mike Tomlin’s inner rage at the post-game presser was because he knows he failed his team.

_________________
“Your ability to think concisely, your ability to make good judgments is much easier on Thursday night than during the heat of the game."

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inside the NFL...WTF!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:56 pm
Posts: 1039
Jeemie wrote:
DP39 wrote:
fortythree wrote:
But if the officials tell you it's a possibility you have to consider it. That's the point.


That's why I said...

"So, that possibility/result shouldn't require more than a second or two of thought and planning for from Tomlin et al during the review timeout. They should have all been huddled to make a real plan of action for downs 2, 3 and 4, during that three minutes or more."

You prioritized the possible outcomes and IT HAS TOO BE the last one on the list based on the video everyone is seeing and the way the rules are written.

That's the point!

As usual, like clockwork, there goes 43 commenting without reading everything...again. Did you even watch the game? Seriously, of all of the people that post on here, it's a fair and pertinent question.


It blew my mind that Tomlin said the ultimate call on the review...incomplete pass...was the one he considered to have the “lowest possibility” of happening.

That tells me he did not have his own guys in the replay booth looking at replays, nor had he scouted how these types of plays have been called since the catch rule was implemented (even more tightly since 2010).

I knew from the very first replay how it was going to be called...how could he not know?


What do you mean “how could he not know?” He wasn’t sitting on his couch with a beer watching every replay like the rest of us. He essentially had a ref telling him potential outcomes and seeing whatever replay on the big screen with voices telling him shit thru the headset.

He’s in a chaotic scene being fed information. How can you not understand how he might not anticipate the review result? Shit, the refs didn’t even know on the field.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inside the NFL...WTF!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:55 pm
Posts: 4358
Jeemie wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
B2B...isn’t the rule that a fumble can be advanced if the player who fumbled it also recovers it?

The “no advance” rule only affects OTHER people recovering it, correct?

I remember this because we had that fumble earlier this year that Brown fumbled and Bryant recovered ten yards further downfield, and the officials marked it at the recovery spot in error.

I believe in last two minutes, you can’t advance a fumble. I just read the rule this morning but I can’t remember the exact wording but that was the takeaway.


Nope...I was correct.

Quote:
On a play from scrimmage, if an offensive player fumbles anywhere on the field during fourth down, only the fumbling player is permitted to recover and/or advance the ball. If any player fumbles after the two-minute warning in a half, only the fumbling player is permitted to recover and/or advance the ball. If recovered by any other offensive player, the ball is dead at the spot of the fumble unless it is recovered behind the spot of the fumble. In that case, the ball is dead at the spot of recovery. Any defensive player may recover and/or advance any fumble at any time.


http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/fumble

So the Steelers’ coaches, if Mike Tomlin is to be believed, spent most of their time discussing a scenario that was pretty much not going to happen.

And I can’t get over Tomlin saying that the outcome that DID happen...incomplete pass...is one he thought had the “lowest probability of happening”.

That means Mike Tomlin doesn’t know the catch rule.

That means Mike Tomlin doesn’t know how the catch rule has been called by the NFL.

That means Mike Tomlin didn’t know that pretty much the exact same overturn was done for the exact same reason by the exact same crew working his game, against the New York Jets.

Mike Tomlin is paid to know this shit. To not know it is inexcusable.

I do hope what the one poster here commented is true...and that part of Mike Tomlin’s inner rage at the post-game presser was because he knows he failed his team.


I still maintain my theory that Tomlin was hungry...STARVING when he took over this team. Remember 2007 when he ran a rough training camp and there were rumblings the players didn't have any gas left in the tank at the end? Then he quickly corrected his error the next year. Remember that interview where he saw the defense not blocking on any INT returns and low and behold in the SB that exact scenario happens and he prepared his team for it?

That's what you call dedication to detail. That's what you call turning every stone over like a psychopath ala BB. I bet Tomlin watched every game on the NFL those first few years.

Today I don't think he does that. It's hard to go 110% when you've been in the league 10 yrs and your wife is bitching about all the time you spend in the office and your kids are growing up before your eyes. That's human nature and I'm not gonna fault Tomlin for being a human being.

But there comes a time where the results fall short and you are doing your organization a disservice with your supposed "dedication' to your craft. I don't think Tomlin watches other stuff in the NFL. I don't think he knows what constitutes a catch or the nuances that have been occurring the past few years. I think he delegates more than he ever has been and he's more figurehead than ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inside the NFL...WTF!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16098
Jeemie wrote:
DP39 wrote:
fortythree wrote:
But if the officials tell you it's a possibility you have to consider it. That's the point.


That's why I said...

"So, that possibility/result shouldn't require more than a second or two of thought and planning for from Tomlin et al during the review timeout. They should have all been huddled to make a real plan of action for downs 2, 3 and 4, during that three minutes or more."

You prioritized the possible outcomes and IT HAS TOO BE the last one on the list based on the video everyone is seeing and the way the rules are written.

That's the point!

As usual, like clockwork, there goes 43 commenting without reading everything...again. Did you even watch the game? Seriously, of all of the people that post on here, it's a fair and pertinent question.


It blew my mind that Tomlin said the ultimate call on the review...incomplete pass...was the one he considered to have the “lowest possibility” of happening.

That tells me he did not have his own guys in the replay booth looking at replays, nor had he scouted how these types of plays have been called since the catch rule was implemented (even more tightly since 2010).

I knew from the very first replay how it was going to be called...how could he not know?

They would have had to rule that James intentionally threw the ball into the EZ, which is unlikely, but with the state of replay review, not impossible.

_________________
Suwanee88 wrote:
But it’s your fault that you are kind of a stubborn jagoff that would argue with a fence post


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inside the NFL...WTF!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 22970
randomsteelerfan wrote:
What do you mean “how could he not know?” He wasn’t sitting on his couch with a beer watching every replay like the rest of us. He essentially had a ref telling him potential outcomes and seeing whatever replay on the big screen with voices telling him shit thru the headset.

He’s in a chaotic scene being fed information. How can you not understand how he might not anticipate the review result? Shit, the refs didn’t even know on the field.


Does he or does he not have guys in the booth whose job it is to review instant replay in case he wants to challenge?

Does their job end at the two minute warning of each half, and they get to go have a beer or go home?

Why couldnt he call up to the booth and say “Hey...what are you seeing up there? What do you think they are looking at?”

_________________
“Your ability to think concisely, your ability to make good judgments is much easier on Thursday night than during the heat of the game."

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Inside the NFL...WTF!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 22970
Threw the ball into the EZ?

What the fuck are you talking about, B2B?

_________________
“Your ability to think concisely, your ability to make good judgments is much easier on Thursday night than during the heat of the game."

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Poltargyst, tbonejoe78 and 18 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group