It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Inside the NFL...WTF!!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:00 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Anyway, he told Haley to be ready to call his play, and then said, "Call the play. CALL THE PLAY." to his OC... who appears to have said nothing.

I give Tomlin fault because, buck stops with him, but I don't think his OC was prepared to call a play, and he didn't call a play... even though his HC reminded him ahead of time that he would need to if the play ended up inbounds and then prompted him immediately after the tackle to call a play.

To me, the HC did discuss various scenarios during the replay review, and he did make sure his OC knew what the HC wanted to do in that situation... the OC simply failed or didn't think he could get through to the QB.

That was later. The plays should have already been called...during the review...with Ben a part of the discussion instead of waiting around by himself. Two best goal line plays, set and called.

Tomlin shouldn’t have been having to yell that out in the heat of the moment.

And with your tallest receiver as part of the grouping. WTF that he wasn’t...or that they didn’t even know what personnel grouping was going out (as Bryant went out onto the field when the review was over, only to have to come back off).

Like I said...obvious communication problems on this team, that have been going on for some time, and Tomlin hasn’t fixed them. Buck does stop with him to fix them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:30 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Anyway, he told Haley to be ready to call his play, and then said, "Call the play. CALL THE PLAY." to his OC... who appears to have said nothing.

I give Tomlin fault because, buck stops with him, but I don't think his OC was prepared to call a play, and he didn't call a play... even though his HC reminded him ahead of time that he would need to if the play ended up inbounds and then prompted him immediately after the tackle to call a play.

To me, the HC did discuss various scenarios during the replay review, and he did make sure his OC knew what the HC wanted to do in that situation... the OC simply failed or didn't think he could get through to the QB.

Him saying that is only further proof he didn't have his team prepared for the final sequence. Would have been a lot easier if the geniuses that are Tomlin, Haley, and Ben would have thought to have two plays called. It's not a surprise they didn't though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:04 am 

NFLN analysts....Willie McGinest specifically....saying that the play for this circumstance WAS called and it was the "Clock It" or "Don't Clock It" play. Personally, don't think that McGinest is correct on that, but if so, that would be dumb. Of course, on the same NFLN sequence, Sean O'Hara taking Steelers brain trust to task for not being prepared coming out of the delay.

Last edited by swissvale72 on Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:05 am 

Scunge wrote:
You know, I can't get mad at the way the game ended there with the James catch/non-catch and then the chaos afterwards.

No, what I get mad at it the 2nd and 3rd to the last drives of the game where Tomlin/Haley thought it was okay to try and run the ball and go conservative.

On those 2 drives you had players like Connor and Touissant at RB. You had a WR like Hayward Bey out there as a blocker at WR. Just do not understand the logic behind any of that. Bell, JuJu, Bryant all should have been out there for EVERY SINGLE PLAY. NE knew we were running the ball, we were not keeping it a secret and we even fielded players that made it difficult to do anything else but run the ball.

When those two drives were happening, I knew that we were going to end up losing the game. Up 24-16 and Tomlin/Haley think that is enough to win the game?

You have a HOF QB throw for 500 yards the previous game and then in this game, you take Bell and JuJu and Bryant off the field for Connor, Fitz and Bey? All they had to do was let Ben throw the ball, move down the field and set up Boz for FGs. Teams do this time and time again against the Patriots. They go conservative.

The defense did not lose this game, it was the offense, again, failing to score points, for failing to put the game away.

Because Tomlin

And Haley

Just as I thought prior to the game.

As long as these two are still with the Steelers, they will never beat the Patriots.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:33 am 

swissvale72 wrote:
NFLN analysts....Willie McGinest specifically....saying that the play for this circumstance WAS called and it was the "Clock It" or "Don't Clock It" play. Personally, don't think that McGinest is correct on that, but if so, that would be dumb. Of course, on the same NFLN sequence, Sean O'Hara taking Steelers brain trust to task for not being prepared coming out of the delay.

This also might be overthinking it, if true.

KISS needed to be the principle.

You don’t need a “different play” to follow a play where a player ends up not getting OOB or in.

You need your two best goal line plays...PERIOD.

They’re aimed either to go to the EZ or to the sideline where a player can either is in, can get in, or can OOB if he can’t get in. If any of those reads is not open, Ben is instructed to throw the ball away AT ALL COSTS. He is not to improvise with a three yard pass within the numbers.

All this gets discussed during the extended review so everyone is on the same page. You don’t need 26 scenarios...your best two plays...PERIOD.

God- this ain’t rocket science.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:00 am 

Jeemie wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

That was later. The plays should have already been called...during the review...with Ben a part of the discussion instead of waiting around by himself. Two best goal line plays, set and called.

Tomlin shouldn’t have been having to yell that out in the heat of the moment.

And with your tallest receiver as part of the grouping. WTF that he wasn’t...or that they didn’t even know what personnel grouping was going out (as Bryant went out onto the field when the review was over, only to have to come back off).

Like I said...obvious communication problems on this team, that have been going on for some time, and Tomlin hasn’t fixed them. Buck does stop with him to fix them.

I just don't understand why all 3 of them (Tomlin/HaleyBen) weren't together and saying "we're gonna run these 2 plays if we get tackled in bounds". That's it. Because if the next pass is inc or out of bounds they have time to get whatever personnel playcall in.

And you're right...this isn't fucking rocket science, just amazes me how NFL coaches make more difficult than it needs to be

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:07 am 

Quote:
I just don't understand why all 3 of them (Tomlin/HaleyBen) weren't together and saying "we're gonna run these 2 plays if we get tackled in bounds". That's it. Because if the next pass is inc or out of bounds they have time to get whatever personnel playcall in.

And you're right...this isn't fucking rocket science, just amazes me how NFL coaches make more difficult than it needs to be

Ben was on one knee with his face in the palm of his hand........
Tomlin was staring at the video screen.........
And Haley was in the injury tent changing his pee soaked underpants.