It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: More miscommunication issues
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:18 pm 

In his presser, Mike Tomlin admitted there was supposed to be double coverage on Rob Gronkowski on the Patriots’ last TD drive...but somehow this didn’t get translated into the guys on the field actually...you know...doing it.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/130 ... -this-loss

Quote:
Tomlin also admitted the Steelers were supposed to have double coverage on Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski on the final drive. Instead, Gronkowski took advantage of breakdowns by catching three consecutive passes, for gains of 26, 26 and 17, on their final scoring drive and then the 2-point conversion — all in single coverage.

So what’s the deal here?

Are our coaches not communicating clearly to our players what they’re supposed to do?

Are our players free-lancing?

Are they stupid?

Post subject: Re: More miscommunication issues
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:50 pm 

No Shazier.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:53 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
So what’s the deal here?

Are our coaches not communicating clearly to our players what they’re supposed to do?

Are they stupid?

Inevitable breakdowns when players don't have enough game reps doing it earlier in the year.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:56 pm 

Shit rolls downhill yo...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:59 pm 

Fuck.

Reminds me of last year when Gronk lined up wide and there was NOBODY COVERING HIM!!

Stupidity with some inexperience sprinkled in?

Maybe Shaz would have kept the D together, but they got their asses handed to them last year with Shazier in the lineup. See above.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:07 pm 

It’s not a mystery or news that there is communication issues on this team. If you watch you will see it every game, players looking at each other, looking at the sidelines, looking up at the sky.

On the Pats final drive to score, Brady threw two long completions to Gronk for about 25 yards each, both plays looking so similar, almost identical, that it looked like they were showing a replay.

Gronk made a finger tip catch on that drive and a couple other to score. Yet NOTHING changed to make up for the fact that Brady and Gronk decided to play pitch and catch down the field to take the lead and secure the first seed.

Our coaches are idiots. All of them. I know people will disagree with me, and that’s fine, but give me a break already. The proof is on the tape.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:11 pm 

I think the secondary is somewhat unhinged without Haden. Everyone back there has certain strengths and weaknesses but Haden’s presence has a way of containing the weaknesses. Burns looks sloppy and undisciplined. Mitchell looks a step or two slow. Davis looks lost at times. They need Haden back to stabilize them. This is a good unit when not tasked to do too much. They were top 2 till Haden went down.

I think some of it is butler too. To the extent butler has kept lebeaus concepts the pats will always have an advantage there.

But I think one of the key sequences was this

Quote:
No one wants to mention that, after Stephen Gostkowski's 46-yard field goal to cut it to 24-19 with 3:56 remaining, the Steelers responded with a three-and-out, that they came up short on third-and-4 with a 3-yard pass to Smith-Schuster and had to punt.

Two first downs very likely win that game

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:12 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
It’s not a mystery or news that there is communication issues on this team. If you watch you will see it every game, players looking at each other, looking at the sidelines, looking up at the sky.

On the Pats final drive to score, Brady threw two long completions to Gronk for about 25 yards each, both plays looking so similar, almost identical, that it looked like they were showing a replay.

Gronk made a finger tip catch on that drive and a couple other to score. Yet NOTHING changed to make up for the fact that Brady and Gronk decided to play pitch and catch down the field to take the lead and secure the first seed.

Our coaches are idiots. All of them. I know people will disagree with me, and that’s fine, but give me a break already. The proof is on the tape.

I agree.

Tomlin and his staff are not very bright, and get caught up in the emotion of the game.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:15 pm 

it's still yggy wrote:
They were top 2 till Haden went down.

The only decent QB they played was Stafford, and he carved them up.

Mitchell is completely useless. They might as well be playing 10 on 11.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:16 pm 

And I’m the absolute first to admit that with 1) Brady making Brady throws and 2) him throwing to Gronk you practically cannot defend that.

But what is indefensible is rolling out the same scheme, same coverage package on him for a drive to win the goddamn game and expecting a different result.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:18 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:20 pm 

it's still yggy wrote:
I think the secondary is somewhat unhinged without Haden. Everyone back there has certain strengths and weaknesses but Haden’s presence has a way of containing the weaknesses. Burns looks sloppy and undisciplined. Mitchell looks a step or two slow. Davis looks lost at times. They need Haden back to stabilize them. This is a good unit when not tasked to do too much. They were top 2 till Haden went down.

I think some of it is butler too. To the extent butler has kept lebeaus concepts the pats will always have an advantage there.

Quote:
No one wants to mention that, after Stephen Gostkowski's 46-yard field goal to cut it to 24-19 with 3:56 remaining, the Steelers responded with a three-and-out, that they came up short on third-and-4 with a 3-yard pass to Smith-Schuster and had to punt.

We should have pulled a Belichick and gone for it on 4th-1.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:21 pm 

When he threw those two passes to Gronk, both for 26 each, I mean come on. Even Brady who probably laughs at some of the coverage packages he sees against Gronk had to be laughing his ass off.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:41 pm 

Given all of this confusion, they were lucky to get 11 guys on the field.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:52 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
We should have pulled a Belichick and gone for it on 4th-1.
yup.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:01 pm 

This is why the Pats win. They are always aware of the situation. It's amazing how much just being aware and planning can win you in the NFL. Two very simple things that most teams don't do, but the Patriots do very well.

As much as the Jesse James call sucked, the end result is still our fault. At the very least we could have sent the game into OT.

And I'm sorry, but Ben flat out choked on that play. He's been in the league long enough to be in control of that situation even if the coaches are not. I don't think it's too much to expect him to get everyone on the same page on the field. He's the fucking leader of the offense. Even during the confusion he could have A.) Spiked it anyway or B.) Not thrown the ball into quintuple coverage.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:30 pm 

What a clusterfuck of coaches

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:54 pm 

it's still yggy wrote:

Quote:

I think it has more to do with Shazier. He's the guy with the green dot, responsible for lining everyone up. Without him we are amidst chaos at the moment.

And yeah, also, because Tomlin...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:41 pm 

it's still yggy wrote:

Quote:

This is where I’m at.

I’m having trouble grasping the continuous communication problems. I just don’t get it. It’s week 14.

That being said, the 3 and out at the 4min mark was ultimately where the Steelers lost the game, IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:55 pm 

StillerInCT wrote:
This is why the Pats win. They are always aware of the situation. It's amazing how much just being aware and planning can win you in the NFL. Two very simple things that most teams don't do, but the Patriots do very well.

As much as the Jesse James call sucked, the end result is still our fault. At the very least we could have sent the game into OT.

And I'm sorry, but Ben flat out choked on that play. He's been in the league long enough to be in control of that situation even if the coaches are not. I don't think it's too much to expect him to get everyone on the same page on the field. He's the fucking leader of the offense. Even during the confusion he could have A.) Spiked it anyway or B.) Not thrown the ball into quintuple coverage.

Oh dear gawd please stop. He did not throw into quintuple coverage! Or triple or even double coverage. He threw to an open receiver. The DB got away with grab and made a play. It sucks, but it happened.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:17 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
In his presser, Mike Tomlin admitted there was supposed to be double coverage on Rob Gronkowski on the Patriots’ last TD drive...but somehow this didn’t get translated into the guys on the field actually...you know...doing it.

Quote:
Tomlin also admitted the Steelers were supposed to have double coverage on Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski on the final drive. Instead, Gronkowski took advantage of breakdowns by catching three consecutive passes, for gains of 26, 26 and 17, on their final scoring drive and then the 2-point conversion — all in single coverage.

So what’s the deal here?

Are they stupid?

The person who wrote that all those plays were single coverage is wrong. I recall at least one where there was double coverage, with a safety over the top.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:18 pm 

StillerInCT wrote:

was not quintuple coverage, no matter how much your anger at the result would like you to believe it. There was one defender and he was a step behind the receiver when the ball was released.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:38 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

Quote:

So what’s the deal here?

Are they stupid?

The person who wrote that all those plays were single coverage is wrong. I recall at least one where there was double coverage, with a safety over the top.

There were three pass plays to Gronk on that drive...Mitchell was nowhere near over the top on Gronk on any of them, as far as I remember.

I remember on one of them, Pats had a 4 WR set, 2 receivers on each side (Gronk was in the slot), and Mitchell cheated to the pair of receivers OPPOSITE the side Gronk was on!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:28 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Mitchell was nowhere near over the top on Gronk on any of them

To be fair, that doesn't exactly prove that Mitchell wasn't doubling Gronk (or supposed to be) :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:29 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
Mitchell was nowhere near over the top on Gronk on any of them

To be fair, that doesn't exactly prove that Mitchell wasn't doubling Gronk (or supposed to be) :lol:

I know.

That’s why one of the options was “are the players stupid?”