It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: SF PODCAST LIVE: S10.E17 PIT @ HOU THU 11am Eastern
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:06 am 

Jeemie, Jeemie, Jeemie.

Head Coaches choose top level strategy, Coordinators execute that strategy.

Belichick might have suggested they blitz, but Matt Patricia dialed up the D. Tomlin might have dictated how he wanted the endgame played, but Todd Haley and Richard Mann chose the personnel. You want to know who really outsmarted whom, it starts at the top: one owner hired guys who can be trusted to execute the strategies of the HC and be subservient to him, the other made a nepotism hire of a guy who doesn't really fit the personnel he's given or doesn't want to make the most of it.

Now, if Martavis isn't out there the next time the Steelers are in this situation... you can blame the HC for not making it clear that it's unacceptable.

As to that 2nd down play call and Bell not chipping-- Bell is my primary receiving option with AB and Bryant on the sideline. I can't believe he was in the backfield at all. Just a shitty play call and wrong personnel. It makes a case for not using the TO after JuJu's catch. If Ben had come to the line, seen the blitz coming, and had a TO... he's calling it there.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:19 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Jeemie, Jeemie, Jeemie.

Belichick might have suggested they blitz, but Matt Patricia dialed up the D. Tomlin might have dictated how he wanted the endgame played, but Todd Haley and Richard Mann chose the personnel. You want to know who really outsmarted whom, it starts at the top: one owner hired guys who can be trusted to execute the strategies of the HC and be subservient to him, the other made a nepotism hire of a guy who doesn't really fit the personnel he's given or doesn't want to make the most of it.

Now, if Martavis isn't out there the next time the Steelers are in this situation... you can blame the HC for not making it clear that it's unacceptable.

As to that 2nd down play call and Bell not chipping-- Bell is my primary receiving option with AB and Bryant on the sideline. I can't believe he was in the backfield at all. Just a shitty play call and wrong personnel. It makes a case for not using the TO after JuJu's catch. If Ben had come to the line, seen the blitz coming, and had a TO... he's calling it there.

We’ve seen this Cowboy and Dead Indian show plenty of times by now. If Mike Tomlin hasn’t made his vision clear to Todd Haley by now...he never will. The buck stops with him.

And no...rushing down the field and saving the timeout would still be stupid...even dumber to say “I’m going to save my timeout and have one less shot for a score because my coaches are stupid”.

The solution is to mother fucking STOP BEING SO STUPID.

And finally, you miss my larger point. Tomlin had a chance to prevent second and goal by continuing to be aggressive earlier in the fourth quarter. As they stepped into the fourth quarter, all Mike had to say was one thing “Todd...do NOT take your foot off the gas”.

Second and goal happened BECAUSE second and 23 happened...is what I’m trying to say.

Stop trying to absolve Tomlin. Just stop it.

We see what we see week in and week out BECAUSE of him.

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:33 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Jeemie, Jeemie, Jeemie.

Ben...stuck with the personnel he has there, couldn't have changed the play at the line? Serious question.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:39 am 

swissvale72 wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Jeemie, Jeemie, Jeemie.

Ben...stuck with the personnel he has there, couldn't have changed the play at the line? Serious question.

That was my “question” too, even not phrased as such.

Could Bell have not picked up the blitz and then gone out? A simple change like that?

Even if not- I agree whatever play was called doesn’t feel like their best play in that spot, especially if it’s so inflexible it can’t be changed up, but I think we can all agree Ben threw an ill-advised pass to DHB. DHB is fast, but he was inside the numbers, he has to hold up a half second to secure the pass, and Malcolm Butler is one fast mofo himself who has to do no such holding up.

Ben needed to toss that away...period.

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:57 am 

Quote:
And finally, you miss my larger point. Tomlin had a chance to prevent second and goal by continuing to be aggressive earlier in the fourth quarter. As they stepped into the fourth quarter, all Mike had to say was one thing “Todd...do NOT take your foot off the gas”.

We agree on this.

And I think Ben had too much faith in DHB getting out of bounds and also didn't make a 10/10 throw... but I actually thought DHB would get OOB when the ball was thrown, so I guess I understand the thought. In general, I didn't like the play call and personnel on the 2nd down play. The whole game felt so Haley compared to the past few weeks. Ben was doing almost no hard counts or line adjustments the way he has been doing. Could be that they were avoiding hand signals and audibles b/c of Ernie et al?

To me, these were much bigger issues than the playcall or throw on 3rd down.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:22 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
I am so angry at that motherfucker. I’m going to throw a bag of garbage on him if I run into him here in the south hills.

So you're the guy that dumped trash on Maddox's lawn.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:25 am 

Miter Saw wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
I am so angry at that motherfucker. I’m going to throw a bag of garbage on him if I run into him here in the south hills.

So you're the guy that dumped trash on Maddox's lawn.

I don't blame Maddox at all. Haley, on the other hand...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:39 pm 

We have a Christmas dinner to attend starting at 4...I'm about to find out how good streaming on the phone is. :-)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:33 pm 

Good start so far