It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Ryan Shazier's dad: Son is improving.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:33 pm 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsspo ... icane/amp/

It's been nearly three weeks since Ryan Shazier's terrifying back injury that resulted in spinal stabilization surgery and the end of his season, but the status of his health remains unknown. On Thursday, Shazier's father, Vernon, provided a positive but vague update in an interview with ESPN.
According to Vernon, Shazier is improving. But Vernon declined to offer any specifics.
"We have seen some improvement that is encouraging," Vernon said. "We're taking it one day at a time. We do not know what tomorrow holds. It's a [daily] journey we don't know. But I know God is getting the message."
Vernon compared the situation to a "category 5 [hurricane]," but said that they are maintaining their faith.
"It's easy to be faithful in a storm, but we're not talking about a drizzle," Vernon said. "We're talking about a hurricane, a category 5 [hurricane], lots of metaphors to describe it."
Shazier suffered the injury in the early going of the Steelers' win over the Bengals on Dec. 4 when he made a tackle with his head down. After spending minutes on the ground, he was carted off the field on a stretcher and went directly to the hospital. Two days later, he underwent surgery to stabilize his spine. The Steelers then placed him on injured reserve. A week ago, he started rehab. At this point, without any specific updates, Shazier's future in football seems trivial compared to his ability to live a normal life.
Still, Shazier has tried to remain involved with the team as they head to the playoffs. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin revealed that Shazier wants to game-plan with Tomlin during hospital visits. On Sunday, Shazier showed up to Heinz Field to watch from a suite as the Steelers battled the Patriots. When he was shown on the big screen, the crowd greeted him with a huge ovation.

Vernon told ESPN that public support has helped keep their spirits up.

"You've got little kids that are praying for him. He has over a million people praying for him," Vernon said. "It's coming from so many different sources. ... I got an email from a kid who has a medical issue, where Ryan has touched his heart. You have kids wishing Ryan gets better for Christmas. It's keeping us up."
He wasn't, however, ready to answer the question that those who feel the negative effects of the inherently violent nature of football are often forced to answer: Is playing football even worth it?
"The reality of the game is that it's a violent sport. I naturally pray for those guys going out there every game," Vernon said. "Any day there's a football game playing, I'm praying. About whether people should play, I don't think I'm at that point to think about it."

Post subject: Re: Ryan Shazier's dad: Son is improving.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:56 pm 

Let’s hope part of Shazier’s rehab program is lifting the Lombardi.

Believe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:00 am 

Nice, thanks for sharing SoCal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:09 am 

Silly religious people! :lol:

"God got the message". God must've decided to take yo boys legs too.

Dumbass sheep.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:20 am 

Steelcody36 wrote:

Dumbass sheep.

Dick move. I hate atheists pushing their agenda as much as I hate Jehovah witnesses knocking on my door. Jehovah's witnesses are at least fucking polite.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:19 am 

VanWilder wrote:
Steelcody36 wrote:

Dumbass sheep.

Dick move. I hate atheists pushing their agenda as much as I hate Jehovah witnesses knocking on my door. Jehovah's witnesses are at least fucking polite.

Completely agree Van.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:31 am 

Steelcody36 wrote:

Dumbass sheep.

You can no more prove there isn't a God than anyone can prove there is one. Therefore, everyone should be pretty humble about their beliefs. Those who act like they know for sure one way or the other are obnoxious.

And besides. Even if belief in God is a silly fable, it is a silly fable that is helping Shaz and his family get through a very difficult time. Who are you to criticize?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:33 am 

Poltargyst wrote:
Steelcody36 wrote:

Dumbass sheep.

You can no more prove there isn't a God than anyone can prove there is one. Therefore, everyone should be pretty humble about their beliefs. Those who act like they know for sure one way or the other are obnoxious.

And besides. Even if belief in God is a silly fable, it is a silly fable that is helping Shaz and his family get through a very difficult time. Who are you to criticize?

Ignorant fucks are gonna be ignorant.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:59 am 

Steelcody36 wrote:

Dumbass sheep.

As a non-theist myself, I hope you get hit by a bus on Christmas day.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:02 am 

Steelcody36 wrote:

Dumbass sheep.

Hahaha! Couldn't have said it better myself Cody.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:14 am 

Steelcody36 wrote:

Dumbass sheep.

You have to be a serious fucking loser c*nt to post a political message in a thread like this.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:15 am 

86n96 wrote:
As a non-theist myself, I hope you get hit by a bus on Christmas day.

Actually, I'd laugh if the rescue vehicle crashed....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:34 am 

Ignoring the absolute fuckhead comments, I'm glad they're keeping a positive attitude. From watching Ryan being so positive in the press box, I'm sure that flows down hill. I couldn't imagine even talking to the press if it was my boy.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:23 am 

Well it didn’t take long for this one to go south...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:07 am 

Steelcody36 wrote:

Dumbass sheep.

A family in crisis. And you bash something that gives them comfort. Beyond pathetic. I'm still amazed by what people will say behind their keyboard. If you don't think the mind has positive effects on healing then you're dumber than I've always thought, and that's saying a lot.

Ban this piece of shit, hillbilly, loser.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:10 am 

(I'd rather believe and it not be true than not believe and it be true.)

So happy to hear of Shaziers health recovery. Such a positive result for such a tragic event. Continue to get well.... Merry Christmas!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:12 am 

Wow! He wasn't attacking Shazier or his family, he was simply pointing out the silly thought that prayer was going to help him heal when God put him there in the first place.
However, I understand the outrage from all you fine upstanding Christian individuals, and I too would love to see Cody killed by a bus, banned and forever damned to hell for his beliefs. Lol. Love me some hypocrisy.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:16 am 

Never indicated any judgement on anyone raptor. Everyone is entitled to believe what they want to. Have a happy holiday sir.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:19 am 

SteelRaptor wrote:
Wow! He wasn't attacking Shazier or his family, he was simply pointing out the silly thought that prayer was going to help him heal when God put him there in the first place.
However, I understand the outrage from all you fine upstanding Christian individuals, and I too would love to see Cody killed by a bus, banned and forever damned to hell for his beliefs. Lol. Love me some hypocrisy.

Calling someone an insensitive dipshit has nothing to do with my beliefs. I'm not religious AT ALL. It's called human decency. Which should be UNIVERSAL.

And nice spin on Cody not attacking the families religious beliefs...but nobody is going to buy that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:30 am 

RS and Steelafan. I was trying to relay what Cody was saying in a more PC way then the way he said it. As a fellow atheist I understand where he is coming from and he incited anger which I understand. He could have been more tactful that is for sure. I respect everyone's views "I am a contractor in Saudi Arabia right now so I get it". Very nice people by the way. Steelafan I appreciate your views and happy holidays to you too. RS I also appreciate your views, however when a person is threatened with death for the beliefs it upsets me. Wish you all well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:35 am 

SteelRaptor wrote:
RS and Steelafan. I was trying to relay what Cody was saying in a more PC way then the way he said it. As a fellow atheist I understand where he is coming from and he incited anger which I understand. He could have been more tactful that is for sure. I respect everyone's views "I am a contractor in Saudi Arabia right now so I get it". Very nice people by the way. Steelafan I appreciate your views and happy holidays to you too. RS I also appreciate your views, however when a person is threatened with death for the beliefs it upsets me. Wish you all well.

Actually, as a fellow atheist, my take is Cody didn’t have to say anything at all.

Who here benefitted from such a message?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:39 am 

He was stating a point in a very hateful way. He is young and bitter, hopefully he will come around. I understand what he was saying, but in this society he could have been more tactful.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:51 am 

SteelRaptor wrote:

I respects peoples religion. Despite whether I believe in it or not. Cody is the worst kind of atheist. The kind that laughs in someone's face and openly derides someone's faith for simply mentioning god and prayers.

It's people like him that give atheists a bad name. I wouldn't want someone like that representing my beliefs or lack there of.

Quote:
Hahaha! Couldn't have said it better myself Cody.

If you actually respect everyone's views as you say, this would not have been your first reaction.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:00 am 

You're right RS I shouldn't have gloated with the comment. As a fellow atheist when someone comes out and agrees with your beliefs it is surprising and validating. I shouldn't have approved of that behavior, period. Now I am just trying to correct that mistake. I am very tolerant of all religions. It's just so seldom to find a fellow atheist, that I got carried away. I apologize for that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:01 am 

I still don't care for the wish of him dying because of his beliefs though.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next