It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ryan Shazier's dad: Son is improving.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:27 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Steelcody36 wrote:
Any adult who uses the word retard has an IQ below 70.

So using the word "retard" offends you, but not saying "God took their legs" about someone who can't walk?

Cody might have made a simplistic and pointlessly rude comment about believing in God, but iirc what Cody does for a living, he does God's work and the word retard would offend him.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:38 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
Steelcody36 wrote:

So using the word "retard" offends you, but not saying "God took their legs" about someone who can't walk?

Cody might have made a simplistic and pointlessly rude comment about believing in God, but iirc what Cody does for a living, he does God's work and the word retard would offend him.

Does he live in a glass house as well?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:19 pm 

Listen,

I've always thought Cody as a backwoods, ignorant, know nothing, redneck, bootlicking, SlingBlade-looking, mouthbreathing, dullard, (look it up in the archives), but today proved it. Sad thing is, he is not trolling, he thinks he has a real point. His students could probably teach him a thing or two.....like reading, writing and arithmetic. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:20 pm 

R S wrote:
Listen,

I've always thought Cody as a backwoods, ignorant, know nothing, redneck, bootlicking, SlingBlade-looking, mouthbreathing, dullard, (look it up in the archives), but today proved it. Sad thing is, he is not trolling, he thinks he has a real point. His students could probably teach him a thing or two.....like reading, writing and arithmetic. :lol:

Wait...he's a fucking teacher?! Holy shit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:52 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
Steelcody36 wrote:

Yet he is okay with moron. I mean, it’s one thing to take easy offense at words and be kind of a buzzkill about it. But a hypocrite?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:24 am 

Be nice to hear something concrete.

Can he stand? Is he walking? Full movement? Partial?

Anything?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:30 am 

treat88 wrote:
Be nice to hear something concrete.

Can he stand? Is he walking? Full movement? Partial?

Anything?

This is where I am on this, too, though from what I've read, the family is in charge of the flow of information, and I respect their right to be.

Figured a 7 or 8 page thread on the subject meant there was some news. Mildly disappointed to say the least.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:49 am 

Still Lit wrote:
Cody and SteelRaptor,

As an agnostic, let me just say....

First, science cannot test for God's existence because God is supposed a non-physical being. A metaphysical entity is simply beyond what science studies and accepts. Some neurobiologists will also insist there is no such thing as mind or consciousness for the same reason.

Second, there are rational proofs for the existence of God. Whether you accept the reasoning is another story. I assure you, Thomas Aquinas was not a dullard.

I do not understand the need to be pointlessly provocative in this cas

If you replace "non-physical" and "metaphysical" with "fictitious", then is this line of reasoning equally valid?

"First, science cannot test for God's existence because God is supposed a fictitious being. A fictitious entity is simply beyond what science studies and accepts.

I say fictitious because there is no proof beyond mankind's imagining that a metaphysical reality exists. Aristotle was no dullard, but history has shown how often he was wrong.

This is the problem with Hugh Everett's multiverse interpretation of quantum mechanics. It avoids the hand waving silliness of the wave equation collapsing to a single outcome upon observation. However, by definition we can never reach another multiverse and thus the theory can never be validated. The multiverse is like god. As such, the multiverse remains an intricate and imaginative theory...which could have been devised by a science fiction writer as much as a brilliant and brilliantly disturbed genius like Everett.

If we imagine the existence of a god, do we then accept that any imaginative metaphysical creation of the human mind cannot be logically disproved? If it cannot be disproved but cannot be validated, does it exist? Or do we simply punt the problem down the road by saying well...we cannot disprove that the multiverse or metaphysical beings exist because by definition they are beyond our reality?

That latter seems to be a case of severe anthromorphic arrogance even if it logically follows. It is just as unsatisfying as unabated logical empiricism.

The decidedly non-religious vitriol spewed by god's advocates to a crass and hurtful comment....well y'all took the bait. All great philosophies warn against battling crass with crass.

On a more practical note, how does the organization handle the inevitable parting of ways with Shazier this offseason? If Ryan desires, perhaps an assistant coaching position? He QB'd the defense so it isn't a stretch.

Ultimately, America's answer to the intolerant man is diversity, the very diversity which our heritage of religious freedom has inspired.

Robert F. Kennedy...50 years ago.

Last edited by ChicagoSteel on Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:25 am, edited 15 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:07 am 

I would be surprised, if it indeed come to that, should the organization not show a lot of class in the way he is treated.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:10 am 

ChicagoSteel, by calling god fictitious, you assume what you wish to prove. Begging the question is never persuasive.

The sciences only accept what can be tested via experimentation. If a god exists, it cannot be confirmed via experimentation.

I did not say god exists. I said such an entity is beyond the capacity of the sciences to confirm or disconfirm.

I would add, geometrical objects are non-physical but would claim that geometrical objects are real. Maybe you think triangles and their properties are fictions. I would also add that we demonstrate the properties of triangles via reason, not experimentation.

Happy to pm rather than further muck up the thread.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next