It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Happy Franco Day!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:21 pm 

Where were you when this happened? December 23, 1972. The day everything changed.

I was trying desperately NOT to find out what happened while it was going on, tuned in to watch the replay in the morning, the dumbass Sam Nover gleefully introduced the replay as if everyone in the city knew the Steelers won.

Then, watched the replay, got near the end and was, like, 'were they just pretending? There's no way the Steelers won this game!' Then it happened. My dad and I were just as excited, watching that next-day replay on a 12" black and white screen, as anyone there in the stadium. Awesome awesome awesome standard against which every other miracle ending shall be judged for all time.

Post subject: Re: Happy Franco Day!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:26 pm 

I was sick over the snake stabler score stlll..stopped them all game and he slithers in for long td run..so mad and sick..

ha...even back then I thought refs gonna take it!! watching on a portable black and white tv...when terry threw it I'm like oh no!!..not good.
.franco running like the wind. wow..go franco go... awesome stuff.. but sick the next week over dolphins.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:58 pm 

I was unborn. By over a decade. It's also Jack Ham's birthday.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:01 pm 

Ice wrote:
I was unborn. By over a decade. It's also Jack Ham's birthday.

Jack Ham had a good view of the play... sitting on his helmet at the 50 yard line. He was later asked what he thought at the time, and he said, "I thought it was coming back-- can't touch the ball twice."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:08 pm 

I was in three rivers stadium, section 501, row a, seat 1. And it was a Saturday as well

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:10 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
I was in three rivers stadium, section 501, row a, seat 1. And it was a Saturday as well

The weather seemed really similar to today's weather, no?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:17 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:

No precip to speak of.,,Little chilly I think. We parked at Chatham Center and walked all the way over to the north side. Celebrated at Vinnys post game. When I get home I might post my memories. Will say that when we went to the car after the game the gorilla was parked next to us got into his car mask still on drove away. True story

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:24 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:

No precip to speak of.,,Little chilly I think. We parked at Chatham Center and walked all the way over to the north side. Celebrated at Vinnys post game. When I get home I might post my memories. Will say that when we went to the car after the game the gorilla was parked next to us got into his car mask still on drove away. True story

I just looked at the weather history for the date... no rain but it was overcast/humid like it is today. Same temps. 88% humidity in '72, 90% today.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:26 pm 

3:29pm Franco scored, 3:44 Swearingen confirmed TD. Imagine a 15 minute review at the end of a playoff game!!! And the '73 Raiders were pretty much what the Patriots are to us now. We'd have been apoplectic!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:18 pm 

Was a kid watching the 19" black & white Zenith w/ my Mom & big brother, after that bastard Stabler scored, things looked pretty grim and we couldn't take the suspense, once it went to 4th down . . . little bro and I ran to our bedroom and buried our heads under our pillows . . . silence . . . then felt the floor banging and vibrating from my big bro jumping around out in the living room, so ran back out to see what the hell was happening . . .

Phoned our 30-year-season-ticket-holding Dad who was stuck as usual at work on Saturdays -- we must've sounded like we'd lost our minds; couldn't explain how we won!

Greatest, most important (in the long run) football play of ALL TAHM!!!!