It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Happy Franco Day!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:26 pm 

I was five. The only memories I have of that year were a kindergarten trip to Round Hill Farm and Roberto Clemente dying. My sister woke us all up early in the morning on New Year’s Day, crying.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:20 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
3:29pm Franco scored, 3:44 Swearingen confirmed TD. Imagine a 15 minute review at the end of a playoff game!!! And the '73 Raiders were pretty much what the Patriots are to us now. We'd have been apoplectic!!!

Inside TRS....place of course went bonkers when Franco scored....absolute insanity!! Then, there was the realization that no touchdown had been signaled, officials were in the dugout, place went damn near dead silent. Eventually, Swearingen jogged to to the middle of the field, turned to face the Steeler sideline, signaled touchdown. Place went insane again!! Over on the other sideline, The Fat Fuck John Madden was having a full-fledged tantrum. His hair was flying, fat arms waving.

Was an awesome fuckin' scene!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:42 pm 

As a Deadwood fan, the fact that the ref was named Swearingen conjures up an amusing mental picture.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:08 am 

fun read here on the game... 8-)

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/9873 ... g-moment-p

Last edited by bam morris on Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:31 am 

My brother waited in line all night for tickets to our first nfl game. Upper deck, end zone behind Brad. Like everyone in the stadium but Franco, I dropped my head when the ball bounced away from Frenchy. Raised it to see him running toward sideline. Only the people in that corner were standing and screaming. Then came the thought "He's got the ball."

TV rules were screwy then. Went to a Bedford motel to watch loss to Miami the following week.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:42 am 

Rod & Wire Mill wrote:
My brother waited in line all night for tickets to our first nfl game. Upper deck, end zone behind Brad. Like everyone in the stadium but Franco, I dropped my head when the ball bounced away from Frenchy. Raised it to see him running toward sideline. Only the people in that corner were standing and screaming. Then came the thought "He's got the ball."

TV rules were screwy then. Went to a Bedford motel to watch loss to Miami the following week.

I was in that same upper deck Rod....and I didn't see it either. I saw the collision, didn't know what the hell happened. Then, my brother, who's seated next to me, is grabbing me, screaming, "He's got it; he's got it!!" I look to my left, see Franco running down the sideline!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:36 am 

Ice wrote:
As a Deadwood fan, the fact that the ref was named Swearingen conjures up an amusing mental picture.

Swearingen has two controversial calls that went in Pittsburgh's favor.

The Immaculate Reception, and in Super Bowl XIII, with the Steelers clinging to a 21-17 lead, he called a pass interference call on Benny Barnes for getting tangled up with Lynn Swann- set up Franco Harris' TD that made it a two-score game.

It really was just incidental contact- the official right by the play called nothing- Swearingen was all the way across the field when he threw his flag.

But I'll take it! We had the luck that game! Jackie Smith's drop (although Staubach deserves more blame than he gets for that play- threw the pass behind Smith)- on Franco's TD, Bradshaw misread the defense and called the wrong play- Randy White would have nailed him, but an official got in his way and made a nice block for Franco! And then on the ensuing kickoff, Roy Gerela slipped, and the ball went right to Cliff Harris, who had a cast on his arm. Harris fumbled...Tony Dungy recovered...and 19 seconds after Franco scored, we had another TD on a pass to Swann.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:24 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
Rod & Wire Mill wrote:

I was in that same upper deck Rod....and I didn't see it either. I saw the collision, didn't know what the hell happened. Then, my brother, who's seated next to me, is grabbing me, screaming, "He's got it; he's got it!!" I look to my left, see Franco running down the sideline!

When I tell the story I always say none of the 60,000 plus there saw the play----except the Immortal
"Frank O'Harris".
PS---15 years later, my other brother was playing a Gus Macker tourney game with Franco in the TRS parking lot. Ball went out of bounds---"Did Franco touch it?" My brother yelled "Question is, did Jack Tatum touch it?"