It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Happy Franco Day!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16809
Where were you when this happened? December 23, 1972. The day everything changed.

I was trying desperately NOT to find out what happened while it was going on, tuned in to watch the replay in the morning, the dumbass Sam Nover gleefully introduced the replay as if everyone in the city knew the Steelers won.

Then, watched the replay, got near the end and was, like, 'were they just pretending? There's no way the Steelers won this game!' Then it happened. My dad and I were just as excited, watching that next-day replay on a 12" black and white screen, as anyone there in the stadium. Awesome awesome awesome standard against which every other miracle ending shall be judged for all time.


_________________
bradshaw2ben wrote:
PIT 30, LAC 17, NFL 16


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happy Franco Day!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:18 pm
Posts: 10710
I was sick over the snake stabler score stlll..stopped them all game and he slithers in for long td run..so mad and sick..

ha...even back then I thought refs gonna take it!! watching on a portable black and white tv...when terry threw it I'm like oh no!!..not good.
.franco running like the wind. wow..go franco go... awesome stuff.. but sick the next week over dolphins.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happy Franco Day!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4926
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
I was unborn. By over a decade. It's also Jack Ham's birthday.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happy Franco Day!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16809
Ice wrote:
I was unborn. By over a decade. It's also Jack Ham's birthday.

Jack Ham had a good view of the play... sitting on his helmet at the 50 yard line. He was later asked what he thought at the time, and he said, "I thought it was coming back-- can't touch the ball twice."

_________________
bradshaw2ben wrote:
PIT 30, LAC 17, NFL 16


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happy Franco Day!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 7447
I was in three rivers stadium, section 501, row a, seat 1. And it was a Saturday as well


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happy Franco Day!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16809
swissvale72 wrote:
I was in three rivers stadium, section 501, row a, seat 1. And it was a Saturday as well

The weather seemed really similar to today's weather, no?

_________________
bradshaw2ben wrote:
PIT 30, LAC 17, NFL 16


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happy Franco Day!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 7447
bradshaw2ben wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
I was in three rivers stadium, section 501, row a, seat 1. And it was a Saturday as well

The weather seemed really similar to today's weather, no?

No precip to speak of.,,Little chilly I think. We parked at Chatham Center and walked all the way over to the north side. Celebrated at Vinnys post game. When I get home I might post my memories. Will say that when we went to the car after the game the gorilla was parked next to us got into his car mask still on drove away. True story


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happy Franco Day!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16809
swissvale72 wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
I was in three rivers stadium, section 501, row a, seat 1. And it was a Saturday as well

The weather seemed really similar to today's weather, no?

No precip to speak of.,,Little chilly I think. We parked at Chatham Center and walked all the way over to the north side. Celebrated at Vinnys post game. When I get home I might post my memories. Will say that when we went to the car after the game the gorilla was parked next to us got into his car mask still on drove away. True story

I just looked at the weather history for the date... no rain but it was overcast/humid like it is today. Same temps. 88% humidity in '72, 90% today.

_________________
bradshaw2ben wrote:
PIT 30, LAC 17, NFL 16


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happy Franco Day!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16809
3:29pm Franco scored, 3:44 Swearingen confirmed TD. Imagine a 15 minute review at the end of a playoff game!!! And the '73 Raiders were pretty much what the Patriots are to us now. We'd have been apoplectic!!!

_________________
bradshaw2ben wrote:
PIT 30, LAC 17, NFL 16


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happy Franco Day!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:09 pm
Posts: 875
Location: Baja Sharkeez Newport Beach
Was a kid watching the 19" black & white Zenith w/ my Mom & big brother, after that bastard Stabler scored, things looked pretty grim and we couldn't take the suspense, once it went to 4th down . . . little bro and I ran to our bedroom and buried our heads under our pillows . . . silence . . . then felt the floor banging and vibrating from my big bro jumping around out in the living room, so ran back out to see what the hell was happening . . .

Phoned our 30-year-season-ticket-holding Dad who was stuck as usual at work on Saturdays -- we must've sounded like we'd lost our minds; couldn't explain how we won!

Greatest, most important (in the long run) football play of ALL TAHM!!!!

_________________
Image "I did glance to my right, over to the Raiders sideline, and The Fat Fuck John Madden was going absolutely ballistic...hair flying....fat arms waving." swissvale72


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happy Franco Day!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 23682
I was five. The only memories I have of that year were a kindergarten trip to Round Hill Farm and Roberto Clemente dying. My sister woke us all up early in the morning on New Year’s Day, crying.

_________________
“A set of several simple rules leads to complex, intelligent behavior. While a set of complex rules often leads to dumb and primitive behavior.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happy Franco Day!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 7447
bradshaw2ben wrote:
3:29pm Franco scored, 3:44 Swearingen confirmed TD. Imagine a 15 minute review at the end of a playoff game!!! And the '73 Raiders were pretty much what the Patriots are to us now. We'd have been apoplectic!!!


Inside TRS....place of course went bonkers when Franco scored....absolute insanity!! Then, there was the realization that no touchdown had been signaled, officials were in the dugout, place went damn near dead silent. Eventually, Swearingen jogged to to the middle of the field, turned to face the Steeler sideline, signaled touchdown. Place went insane again!! Over on the other sideline, The Fat Fuck John Madden was having a full-fledged tantrum. His hair was flying, fat arms waving.

Was an awesome fuckin' scene!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happy Franco Day!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4926
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
As a Deadwood fan, the fact that the ref was named Swearingen conjures up an amusing mental picture.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happy Franco Day!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:18 pm
Posts: 10710
fun read here on the game... 8-)

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/9873 ... g-moment-p


Last edited by bam morris on Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happy Franco Day!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:57 pm
Posts: 188
My brother waited in line all night for tickets to our first nfl game. Upper deck, end zone behind Brad. Like everyone in the stadium but Franco, I dropped my head when the ball bounced away from Frenchy. Raised it to see him running toward sideline. Only the people in that corner were standing and screaming. Then came the thought "He's got the ball."

TV rules were screwy then. Went to a Bedford motel to watch loss to Miami the following week.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happy Franco Day!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Posts: 7447
Rod & Wire Mill wrote:
My brother waited in line all night for tickets to our first nfl game. Upper deck, end zone behind Brad. Like everyone in the stadium but Franco, I dropped my head when the ball bounced away from Frenchy. Raised it to see him running toward sideline. Only the people in that corner were standing and screaming. Then came the thought "He's got the ball."

TV rules were screwy then. Went to a Bedford motel to watch loss to Miami the following week.


I was in that same upper deck Rod....and I didn't see it either. I saw the collision, didn't know what the hell happened. Then, my brother, who's seated next to me, is grabbing me, screaming, "He's got it; he's got it!!" I look to my left, see Franco running down the sideline!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happy Franco Day!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm
Posts: 23682
Ice wrote:
As a Deadwood fan, the fact that the ref was named Swearingen conjures up an amusing mental picture.


Swearingen has two controversial calls that went in Pittsburgh's favor.

The Immaculate Reception, and in Super Bowl XIII, with the Steelers clinging to a 21-17 lead, he called a pass interference call on Benny Barnes for getting tangled up with Lynn Swann- set up Franco Harris' TD that made it a two-score game.

It really was just incidental contact- the official right by the play called nothing- Swearingen was all the way across the field when he threw his flag.

But I'll take it! We had the luck that game! Jackie Smith's drop (although Staubach deserves more blame than he gets for that play- threw the pass behind Smith)- on Franco's TD, Bradshaw misread the defense and called the wrong play- Randy White would have nailed him, but an official got in his way and made a nice block for Franco! And then on the ensuing kickoff, Roy Gerela slipped, and the ball went right to Cliff Harris, who had a cast on his arm. Harris fumbled...Tony Dungy recovered...and 19 seconds after Franco scored, we had another TD on a pass to Swann.

_________________
“A set of several simple rules leads to complex, intelligent behavior. While a set of complex rules often leads to dumb and primitive behavior.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Happy Franco Day!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:57 pm
Posts: 188
swissvale72 wrote:
Rod & Wire Mill wrote:
My brother waited in line all night for tickets to our first nfl game. Upper deck, end zone behind Brad. Like everyone in the stadium but Franco, I dropped my head when the ball bounced away from Frenchy. Raised it to see him running toward sideline. Only the people in that corner were standing and screaming. Then came the thought "He's got the ball."

TV rules were screwy then. Went to a Bedford motel to watch loss to Miami the following week.


I was in that same upper deck Rod....and I didn't see it either. I saw the collision, didn't know what the hell happened. Then, my brother, who's seated next to me, is grabbing me, screaming, "He's got it; he's got it!!" I look to my left, see Franco running down the sideline!


When I tell the story I always say none of the 60,000 plus there saw the play----except the Immortal
"Frank O'Harris".
PS---15 years later, my other brother was playing a Gus Macker tourney game with Franco in the TRS parking lot. Ball went out of bounds---"Did Franco touch it?" My brother yelled "Question is, did Jack Tatum touch it?"


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CzechSteeler, Majestic-12 [Bot], Miter Saw, RooneyTunes, W&M_Steeler and 28 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group