It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: BIG Steelers News re: Changes in secondary
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:25 pm 

I have been banging this drum for a while now about Burns. I don't see a first round CB, a shutdown CB, a good man to man CB.

When I watched William Jackson the 3rd on Antonio Brown, batting away pass after pass, that is what Burns should look like.

What is Burns anyway? A good, great man to man corner, is capable of jamming a WR at the LOS, delaying their route, then smoothly staying in phase with the WR, covering them like a blanket.

Burns, is often backed off, 5-10 yards, and does not make any contact whatsoever, there is no jam, he lets his WR get a free release off the line, they immediately get into their route. Maybe he thinks his speed is so great that he can slum like this, sorry, it isn't that great, he is no Rod Woodson, Darrel Green, or Deion Sanders.

So, Burns is not really a man to man CB, and he makes many mistakes in zone coverage. Moving forward I have a hard time understanding how he fits in to this defense or how he can fend off competition like a Sutton or Brian Allen or another high draft pick. He is living on borrowed time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:22 pm 

Scunge wrote:
I have been banging this drum for a while now about Burns. I don't see a first round CB, a shutdown CB, a good man to man CB.

When I watched William Jackson the 3rd on Antonio Brown, batting away pass after pass, that is what Burns should look like.

What is Burns anyway? A good, great man to man corner, is capable of jamming a WR at the LOS, delaying their route, then smoothly staying in phase with the WR, covering them like a blanket.

Burns, is often backed off, 5-10 yards, and does not make any contact whatsoever, there is no jam, he lets his WR get a free release off the line, they immediately get into their route. Maybe he thinks his speed is so great that he can slum like this, sorry, it isn't that great, he is no Rod Woodson, Darrel Green, or Deion Sanders.

So, Burns is not really a man to man CB, and he makes many mistakes in zone coverage. Moving forward I have a hard time understanding how he fits in to this defense or how he can fend off competition like a Sutton or Brian Allen or another high draft pick. He is living on borrowed time.

When you beat a drum, you beat it long and hard.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:36 pm 

Stallworth16 wrote:
I like Sutton, but he hasn't played that much so it's a small sample size. Even though Burns thinks he has CTE, he may have hurt his career by telling everyone. Burns still has a chance to have a great career, but he's going to have to Raise his Game, coverage and tackling. If not, he will go the way of Cortez Allen. But I predict Burns will not go that way and this Demotion is Burns Wakeup Call.

Think Cam played right CB in TN. He shoukd be more comfortable here. Burns has been in position for 2 maybe 3 pics including one v Wallace in EZ. Little Mike out fought him. Cam is a better tackler and he'll line up in the guys face.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:13 am 

Maybe they just gave Sutton more reps with 1's because they want to ease Haden back into the lineup and aren't sure how his leg and/or conditioning will hold up....giving Sutton more work while keeping Haden in practice for conditioning.

He had a leg injury....doubt he's been running much.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:45 am 

Sutton has looked like he belonged everytime I've seen him play. Burns looks that way maybe half the time lately. Plus, I think B2B put the reverse hex on Sutton before preseason, basicallly ensuring he has a hall of fame worthy career.