It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another Shakeup To The Roster.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:15 pm 

So they released Harrison and apparently Burns is also possibly relegated to the bench. I wonder if it's to get him more experience for the playoff run vs. him taking over Artie's spot.

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-st ... -112683329

Post subject: Re: Another Shakeup To The Roster.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:07 pm 

Good move

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:12 pm 

Artie the head case should have been benched long ago for his putrid play. Cam is doing the job.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:10 pm 

The coaching staff may be finally waking up to Burns. For whatever reason, this is not the same player from last season. He has regressed so badly. Last season he was so important on defense, those last 9 games heading into the playoffs, he had 3 INTs, almost 50 tackles, was not such a pussy against the run, made plays on the ball, defensed passes, INTs.

This year? Not good in any capacity. Even when he makes a supposedly good play in coverage, you almost get the feeling that it was more luck or bad play on the part of the WR or an off target pass from the QB. That is pretty scary.

What is more scary is that so many on this board have been in denial. All season long people have made excuses for him.

Mentally I don't see someone who learns very well or retains things very well. He makes mental mistakes in coverage. He is not physical, is incapable of truly playing man to man because he won't come up and jam a receiver at the line of scrimmage. He is a poser, plays off, allows the WR to get a free release off the snap and then thinks his speed and quickness is good enough to compensate. He is NOT that great of an athlete, his speed is NOT that great. His technique and footwork are piss poor which compounds problems even further.

Then you have him talking about CTE, concussions, etc and how he fears he already has brain damage. It is one thing to fear about such things quite another to talk about it openly and to the media?

A head case all the way around. This guy has zero chance of seeing a 2nd contract from the Steelers, he will be lucky to play out his rookie contract, there will be no 5th year option pickup for him by the club.

Just so disappointing. I hope we do keep Haden, and that next season Sutton and Brian Allen are given real chances to drive Willie Gay and Artie Burns off the roster.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:45 pm 

Well, Cowher benched Ike for part of the season at the end of one year....and all he did after that was become a perennial shutdown corner for 6-7 years.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:50 pm 

Let's see how he responds. But i'm all for the shakeup...we can ill afford a headcase who's afraid to tackle in the secondary, even if he was a low first-rounder.
I really thought we had something brewing in the defensive backfield with Burns and Davis. But Davis has been up and down all year and Burns mostly down.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:49 pm 

Bench him and let it be a teaching lesson

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:51 pm 

Scunge wrote:
The coaching staff may be finally waking up to Burns. For whatever reason, this is not the same player from last season. He has regressed so badly. Last season he was so important on defense, those last 9 games heading into the playoffs, he had 3 INTs, almost 50 tackles, was not such a pussy against the run, made plays on the ball, defensed passes, INTs.

This year? Not good in any capacity. Even when he makes a supposedly good play in coverage, you almost get the feeling that it was more luck or bad play on the part of the WR or an off target pass from the QB. That is pretty scary.

What is more scary is that so many on this board have been in denial. All season long people have made excuses for him.

Mentally I don't see someone who learns very well or retains things very well. He makes mental mistakes in coverage. He is not physical, is incapable of truly playing man to man because he won't come up and jam a receiver at the line of scrimmage. He is a poser, plays off, allows the WR to get a free release off the snap and then thinks his speed and quickness is good enough to compensate. He is NOT that great of an athlete, his speed is NOT that great. His technique and footwork are piss poor which compounds problems even further.

Then you have him talking about CTE, concussions, etc and how he fears he already has brain damage. It is one thing to fear about such things quite another to talk about it openly and to the media?

A head case all the way around. This guy has zero chance of seeing a 2nd contract from the Steelers, he will be lucky to play out his rookie contract, there will be no 5th year option pickup for him by the club.

Just so disappointing. I hope we do keep Haden, and that next season Sutton and Brian Allen are given real chances to drive Willie Gay and Artie Burns off the roster.

I hope that isn't the case Scunge. The Steelers cannot continue to miss on 1st rounders. So far Jones was a bust, Dupree seems to be more a JAG and if Burns is a miss that's 3 1st rounders in back to back to back seasons. Can't afford to miss on those.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:04 am 

I am all about taking the BPA every year, the best player available, regardless of position and whether you think the team is loaded at that position or not.

A perfect example of this is the JuJu pick. Nobody wanted to draft a WR in round 2 last season, but I did. Everybody thought we were stocked at WR with Coates, Bryant coming back, Rogers, etc. They were all capable supposedly to complement Brown. The Steelers saw the value that JuJu provided and drafted him in round 2. That is classic BPA right there.

All of these players, these high picks that aren't working out, it is mostly because they are forcing the issue, they are truly reaching for these players.

Bud Dupree? Forget about Shane Ray, that wasn't good value either and he wasn't worthy of being a #1. There were 3 pass rushers, 260-270 pound edge rushers, that were drafted in the second round right after we took Dupree. Preston Smith (Washington) 18.5 sacks, Markus Golden (Arizona) 16.5 sacks, and Frank Clark (Seattle) 21 sacks. Why did we have to spend a premium 1st round pick on yet another OLB when these 3 players were available in round 2? If you have 5 players like this with similar grades on your board, you don't take an OLB with that first round pick.

They had to have had S Landon Collins as their highest rated safety. He was available at 23. CB/S Byron Jones was available. Those two players should have been the BPA choice and then they could have snagged whoever was left at OLB at the end of round 2. Sure, this is all looking at things in hindsight, but I thought this same way during that draft. I loved Collins and Golden/Clark. We could have drafted Collins and Golden or Clark at the end of round 2. How much better would this team be right now if we hadn't reached for Bud Dupree?

Next draft, if a RB is there at the end of round 1 and he is your BPA you draft him, even if Bell is still going to be on the roster for 2018. If a QB you really like is there at the end of round 1, and he is your BPA you draft him, even if Ben plays another two years. No position is safe or set in stone. Things happen, things change.

The surest way to have a failed draft pick is to panic and overreact and force the issue. For example, maybe they think Shazier never plays again, and so they go into this next draft and they try and find 'another' Shazier, another speedy, super athletic ILB and they are going to spend a first rounder to do it. That is reaching, that is forcing the issue, that is how these 1st and 2nd round mistakes happen, time and time again.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:04 am 

Scunge wrote:
I am all about taking the BPA every year, the best player available, regardless of position and whether you think the team is loaded at that position or not.

A perfect example of this is the JuJu pick. Nobody wanted to draft a WR in round 2 last season, but I did. Everybody thought we were stocked at WR with Coates, Bryant coming back, Rogers, etc. They were all capable supposedly to complement Brown. The Steelers saw the value that JuJu provided and drafted him in round 2. That is classic BPA right there.

All of these players, these high picks that aren't working out, it is mostly because they are forcing the issue, they are truly reaching for these players.

Bud Dupree? Forget about Shane Ray, that wasn't good value either and he wasn't worthy of being a #1. There were 3 pass rushers, 260-270 pound edge rushers, that were drafted in the second round right after we took Dupree. Preston Smith (Washington) 18.5 sacks, Markus Golden (Arizona) 16.5 sacks, and Frank Clark (Seattle) 21 sacks. Why did we have to spend a premium 1st round pick on yet another OLB when these 3 players were available in round 2? If you have 5 players like this with similar grades on your board, you don't take an OLB with that first round pick.

They had to have had S Landon Collins as their highest rated safety. He was available at 23. CB/S Byron Jones was available. Those two players should have been the BPA choice and then they could have snagged whoever was left at OLB at the end of round 2. Sure, this is all looking at things in hindsight, but I thought this same way during that draft. I loved Collins and Golden/Clark. We could have drafted Collins and Golden or Clark at the end of round 2. How much better would this team be right now if we hadn't reached for Bud Dupree?

Next draft, if a RB is there at the end of round 1 and he is your BPA you draft him, even if Bell is still going to be on the roster for 2018. If a QB you really like is there at the end of round 1, and he is your BPA you draft him, even if Ben plays another two years. No position is safe or set in stone. Things happen, things change.

The surest way to have a failed draft pick is to panic and overreact and force the issue. For example, maybe they think Shazier never plays again, and so they go into this next draft and they try and find 'another' Shazier, another speedy, super athletic ILB and they are going to spend a first rounder to do it. That is reaching, that is forcing the issue, that is how these 1st and 2nd round mistakes happen, time and time again.

Honestly, I don't think Tomlin "freaks out" or panics at all. He is the new Al Davis and is too enamored with athleticism and speed, not football IQ/prowess!